Thread: Traditional Wing Chun - Gwai Ma (Kneeling Stance) Officially added to the Forms

Traditional Wing Chun - Gwai Ma (Kneeling Stance) Officially added to the Forms

I noticed on Sifu Redmond's (Traditional Wing Chun, student of Grandmaster Cheung) Youtube site that a Gwai Ma (Kneeling Stance) has been officially added to the form, although he doesn't say which one. Apparently, it was included originally but was taken out - now it's been 'added' back in.
    I have independantly, included a kneeling stance pheonix eye attack in my Bil Jee set for some months now as I remember reading that Ip Man used such a defence to win a fight when an opponent swept his lead leg, so how did Ip Man respond so swiftly had he not trained it?

Also Sifu Robert Chu is shown in such a kneeling stance in the book Complete Wing Chun, and he studied in Gu Lao village (Leung Jan's 40 point Wing Chun).

There is a similar move in Monkey Kung Fu and Ngo Cho Kun.

Anyway, if Wing Chun was developed as a condensed, better version of various Kung Fu styles, or to deal with various styles, the founder(s) did not fully allow for Wrestlers / Groundwork.

What else has been taken out by others, or kept for closed-door students?

Wing Chun is a Puzzle, enclosed in an Enigma, set within a Mystery!
    The Truth is Out There - Somewhere!

Quote Originally Posted by Tong Chuang View Post
    Anyway, if Wing Chun was developed as a condensed, better version of various Kung Fu styles, or to deal with various styles, the founder(s) did not fully allow for Wrestlers / Groundwork.
    It makes sense "the founder(s) did not fully allow for Wrestlers" if she was a female as the legend has it trying to avoid a forced-marriage, since males would have an strength advantage on the ground, she would want to develop the art to be the most effective where she had the advantage...

Quote Originally Posted by YinOrYan View Post
    It makes sense "the founder(s) did not fully allow for Wrestlers" if she was a female as the legend has it trying to avoid a forced-marriage, since males would have an strength advantage on the ground, she would want to develop the art to be the most effective where she had the advantage...
    Funnily "dog kung fu"( as the show I seen this on called it )
    Said to have been created by a nun (woman)... is a ground fighting style.. of sorts

Quote Originally Posted by T.D.O View Post
    Funnily "dog kung fu"( as the show I seen this on called it )
    Said to have been created by a nun (woman)... is a ground fighting style.. of sorts

That's a new one to me LOL

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_Kung_Fu

Wing Chun is a Puzzle, enclosed in an Enigma, set within a Mystery!
    The Truth is Out There - Somewhere!

Do you know it's the 1st time I've ever read anything on it lol

I have independantly, included a kneeling stance pheonix eye attack in my Bil Jee set for some months now
    My sifu hit me in the bladder one training session with one of them... sore! gwai ma, lan sau to cover (a knee), one eyed chuka (I think he called it something along they lines)

Quote Originally Posted by T.D.O View Post
    Do you know it's the 1st time I've ever read anything on it lol
    Haha, why are you guys so scared to call it B1TCH Style kung fu??? There are many kung fu schools called White Tiger here in America!

LOL, now I know, that word is censored by this forum, so I had to replace the I with a 1...