Thread: The Old Guard 2

The Old Guard 2

Might as well start an Old Guard 2 thread off the original one now.

Aug 26, 2021 10:18am PT
    Victoria Mahoney to Direct Charlize Theron in ‘The Old Guard’ Sequel

By Rebecca Rubin

Netflix has tapped Victoria Mahoney to direct its sequel to “The Old Guard,” the superhero action-adventure led by Charlize Theron.

“The Old Guard” premiered on Netflix in July 2020 and, by the streaming service’s vague metrics, appears to have been a hit, garnering 78 million views in its first four weeks. Along with Theron, the returning cast will include KiKi Layne, Matthias Schoenaerts, Marwan Kenzari, Luca Marinelli, Veronica Ngo and Chiwetel Ejiofor.

Gina Prince-Bythewood directed the first film, based on the comic book by Greg Rucka, but opted not to return for the follow-up because she’s busy working on several projects, including Sony’s “The Woman King” starring Viola Davis. Prince-Bythewood was eager to pass the reins to Mahoney, who recently served as second unit director on the J.J. Abrams-directed “Star Wars: The Rise of Skywalker.”

“I love ‘The Old Guard’ and the story and characters I was honored to put into the world,” Prince-Bythewood said in a statement. “It was exciting to disrupt the genre. I have decided not to direct the sequel, but will stay on as a producer. I leave our franchise in good hands as my girl Vic Mahoney takes on this next chapter.”

Since “Star Wars,” Mahoney has become an in-demand director and is currently in talks to helm the graphic novel adaptation “Kill Them All” for Paramount. Her credits include the semi-autobiographical drama “Yelling to the Sky,” starring Zoe Kravitz, and several episodes of television, such as “The Morning Show,” “Grey’s Anatomy” and “Queen Sugar.”

“Genuinely blown backwards by the collective levels of talent, skill and savvy that went into carving ‘The Old Guard,'” Mahoney said in a statement. “I must’ve watched it over a hundred times, and as such, cannot communicate the true measure of my excitement — being invited on ‘The Old Guard’ journey alongside ferocious badasses.”

Prince-Bythewood will remain on the film as a producer, along with Theron, David Ellison, Dana Goldberg and Don Granger for Skydance; Beth Kono and AJ Dix for Denver and Delilah; and Marc Evans for Marc Evans Productions.

In a joint statement, the film’s producers said, “We are beyond thrilled that Vic is joining ‘The Old Guard’ team. Her passion for these characters and her ambitious vision for the movie overwhelmed us all. We are grateful for the opportunity to work with her.”

Deadline first reported the news of Mahoney’s hire.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Thurman & Golding

Jun 10, 2022 9:00am PT
    Uma Thurman, Henry Golding Join Charlize Theron in ‘The Old Guard 2’

By Angelique Jackson

Thurman: Peter Lindbergh / Golding: AP

Uma Thurman and Henry Golding are set to join Charlize Theron in Netflix’s “The Old Guard 2.”

The “Kill Bill” and “Crazy Rich Asians” stars join previously announced returning cast members Theron, KiKi Layne, Matthias Schoenaerts, Marwan Kenzari, Luca Marinelli, Veronica Ngo and Chiwetel Ejiofor, who reprise their roles from the original movie. “The Old Guard” followed a covert team of immortal mercenaries who have to fight to keep their identity a secret when they find themselves exposed and an unexpected new member is discovered.

It’s yet to be revealed how Thurman and Golding play into the new story, but both stars certainly have action experience. Following his breakout performances in “Crazy Rich Asians,” “A Simple Favor” and “Last Christmas,” Golding entered the realm of high-octane movies with “Snake Eyes” and “The Gentlemen.” The actor will next be seen in the new adaptation of Jane Austen’s “Persuasion,” starring opposite Dakota Johnson. He is repped by CAA, Megan Silverman Management and Goodman, Genow, Schenkman.

Meanwhile, Thurman is a genre icon after starring as the Bride in the “Kill Bill” franchise. The Oscar-nominee is also known for her performances in such classics as “Pulp Fiction,” and she was most recently seen in “Hollywood Stargirl.” Thurman is represented by ICM Partners, Untitled Entertainment, Jonathan Sanders & Co, Wolf Kasteler Public Relations, and Hansen Jacobson Teller.

Following its July 2020 launch, “The Old Guard” has become one of Netflix’s most popular action films to date, with a reported 186 million hours viewed in its first 28 days of release.

The highly-anticipated sequel will be directed by Victoria Mahoney, from a screenplay by Greg Rucka, who co-created the graphic novel on which the series is based, alongside Leandro Fernández. Mahoney (who recently served as the second unit director on “Star Wars — Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker,” in addition to work on shows including “Queen Sugar,” “The Morning Show” and “Lovecraft Country”) takes over directing duties from Gina Prince-Bythewood, who helmed the first film before stepping into a producer role for the sequel.

“The Old Guard 2” marks Skydance’s latest Netflix movie, from a slate that includes the first movie, as well as “6 Underground,” “The Adam Project” and the upcoming “Heart of Stone.” The sequel is produced by Skydance’s David Ellison, Dana Goldberg and Don Granger; Theron, Beth Kono and AJ Dix for Denver and Delilah; Marc Evans on behalf of his eponymous production company; and Prince-Bythewood. Rucka serves as an executive producer.
    As long as Veronica Ngo is still in, I'm in.

Well, I'm in for Charlize too.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Og3?

May 18, 2023 8:41am PT
    ‘The Old Guard’ Sequel Ending ‘Demands’ a Third Movie, Says Producer Marc Evans

The second installment of the Charlize Theron action franchise is expected to be released this year
    By Marc Malkin

THE OLD GUARD - Charlize Theron ("Andy"); Kiki Layne ("Nile") Photo Credit: AIMEE SPINKS/NETFLIX ©2020
    AIMEE SPINKS/NETFLIX

The “Old Guard” sequel starring Charlize Theron doesn’t even have an official release date, but a third installment may already be brewing. “There’s an ending to No. 2 that kind of demands a No. 3, which makes me very happy,” producer Marc Evans told me at the premiere of “The Mother,” Netflix’s new Jennifer Lopez action movie.

In “The Old Guard 2,” Theron reprises her role as the leader of a group of immortal mercenaries, and Marwan Kenzari and Luca Marinelli return as gay couple Joe and Nicky. “You’re going to see more story of Joe and Nicky,” Evans assured.

After pandemic delays, filming began on the sequel, with Victoria Mahoney directing, about a year ago. Asked if Theron was contracted for a third movie, Evans would only say, “Charlize is a producer on the movie and deeply supportive of the franchise.”

“The Old Guard,” directed by Gina Prince-Bythewood, was released in 2020. Netflix reported that 78 million households viewed the film over its first four weeks. It was one of the most watched straight-to-streaming titles of the year.

Original cast members Kiki Layne, Matthias Schoenaerts, Harry Melling, Veronica Ngo and Chiwetel Ejiofor return for the follow-up, which also includes Uma Thuman and Henry Golding in undisclosed roles.

“I’m excited about our team coming back and having had all this time to really think about what we want the next story to be,” Theron told Variety shortly after filming began. “It’s a big ask to want everybody involved to do action that’s raising the bar of what we did last time. It takes time and energy and effort and everybody has put that forth. I want to see the fruits of that labor.”

“The Old Guard 2” is expected to be released this year.

Speaking of Theron, she’ll be on hand to host her annual Africa Outreach Project Block Party on May 20 on the Universal Studios Backlot. Expected guests include her “Fast X” co-stars Vin Diesel, Michelle Rodriguez, Jordana Brewster, Scott Eastwood, Alan Ritchson, Sung Kang and their director, Louis Letterier. The evening benefits the Charlize Theron Africa Outreach Project, the Oscar winner’s nonprofit that works to support the health, education and safety of youth in Africa.
    I'm down, but I'm a Charlize fanboy.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips