Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Original Shaolin Temple movie (Jet Li)

Original Shaolin Temple movie (Jet Li)

in the movie "the shaolin temple" with jet li, i understand master pan qing fu, now in ontario, canada, was an actor/extra...can anyone tell me me which character he was?

thanking you in advance,

neil

The bad guy with the big mustache.
    Time
    Slips through fingers
    Like this world of dust

Pan in Shaolin

Pan Qingfu was one of the choreographers for Shaolin Temple. He appears in the film in the background, not as a character per se. If memory serves, you can see him behind the evil general in a scene or two...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Re: Pan in Shaolin

Originally posted by GeneChing
    Pan Qingfu was one of the choreographers for Shaolin Temple. He appears in the film in the background, not as a character per se. If memory serves, you can see him behind the evil general in a scene or two...
    a lot of the fight scenes were done and choreographed by the wushu athletes themselves.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Original Shaolin Temple move (Jet Li)

I watched the Shaolin Temple movie in a theater in NY Chinatown. At the beginning of the movie Shorinji Kempo founder So Doshin and his daughter visited the Shaolin Temple in China. I've ordered the DVD three times but none of them have that historic "pilgrimage' of So Doshin and his daughter. Does anyone know where to get an original with those missing scenes?
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    Traditional Wing Chun Academy NYC/L.A.
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Hello,

Are you checking the year of dvd release? The earlier dvd releases may have it. At that time, seeing Shorinji Kempo was one of the highlights of that movie.

Jimbo or jethro may know more definitively.

mickey

EDIT: I had to edit out my last post because according to the earlier thread the intro scene was edited out on the version the guy had.

Apologies,

mickey
    Last edited by mickey; 08-06-2012 at 02:05 PM.

Hi.
    My only copy of Shaolin Temple was an old VHS tape I got when I lived in Taiwan, and that didn't have the Shorinji Kempo intro, either. It was one of the reasons I had bought it, too.

The only time I saw that intro was when the movie was released in a local Vietnamese/Chinese theater back in 1982. I actually liked that intro part better than the movie itself.

Sifu Redmond,

I think this is the dvd that I have the transfer of. Check the cover do you have this one?

http://www.ebay.com/ctg/The-Shaolin-...=100844&_dmpt=

I remember when I got mine there were still two buildings standing in lower Manhattan.

mickey

Update,

I purchased it.

I know you must be tired of getting burnt. I will let you know if it is the one.

mickey

Huntington, NY, USA website: TenTigers.com
    I remember that scene. I saw it at The Rosemary Theater on Bowery and Canal.
    (now Mahayana Buddhist Temple)
    "My Gung-Fu may not be Your Gung-Fu.
    Gwok-Si, Gwok-Faht"

"I will not be part of the generation
    that killed Kung-Fu."

....step.

Greetings,

I saw it at the Rosemary as well. I missed out when it played at The Pagoda Theater because, from the stills, i could not figure out what it was all about. It did not look like kung fu to me. After seeing it, I was even more confused. I still wish they would re edit the final fights to include more of the match between Yu Hai and Yu Cheng Hui.

mickey

Before I ever saw Shaolin Temple, I'd read about it in Martial Arts Movies magazine. So when it was released at the old Trieu Thanh Theater, I had some high expectations. Besides the opening intro, the other part I liked was Jet Li's "4 seasons training" scene. I felt the rest of it was so-so.

I saw it at the Pagoda in NY. I hope someone can find the copy I'm looking for.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Quote Originally Posted by mickey View Post
    Update,

I purchased it.

I know you must be tired of getting burnt. I will let you know if it is the one.

mickey
    Please let me know, and thx.
    Sifu Phillip Redmond
    菲利普雷德蒙師傅
    傳統詠春拳學院紐約市

WCKwoon
    wck
    sifupr

Greetings,

Since my last post I remembered that I saw it at The Pagoda Theater as well. It played twice there (the second time near Chinese New Year following its first release) before being shown at the Rosemary Theater a few of years later. I caught it the second time at Pagoda and then at Rosemary.

I initially had trouble figuring out whether Shaolin Temple was a Mainland China made movie. It wasn't until I saw a scene where Jet Li had his finger on the sword guard and after seeing him perform the butterfly kick with a full twist (during the first of the four seasons sequence) that I realized that this was a Mainland China movie. The stand outs for me were Yu Hai, Yu Cheng Hui and Ji Chun Hua.

mickey