Thread: Cyrano

Cyrano

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

first forum review

Okay now I didn’t realize this was a musical until they started singing and I was like wth? It’s based on a stage musical and has such trappings and theater-to-film musicals do. Beautiful costumes, filmed in Sicily so beautiful settings, some dance choreo too.

Instead of a nose, it’s Dinklage’s dwarfism. That sorta works although it doesn’t lend itself to the kind of comic pratfalls that a big nose does.

Dinklage has a magnificent speaking voice but doesn’t really sing. He’s more of a talk singer. That almost works. Roxanne (Haley Bennett) was a superb voice and is a revelation here. The rest of the cast have middling voices except for some random soldiers singing about send their final letters before going on a suicide mission - that scene was quite moving.

It has its moments. The baker’s song and background dance was cool. But something wasn’t clicking which makes me withhold too much praise. Once I got past Dinklage singing, he delivers a fine performance.

There are two swordfights - one comes up quickly where Cyrano is challenged by a fop in a theater then another soon after where Cyrano is ambushed by 10 hooligans. Both are ok - Dinklage pulls off the swordplay ok for his stature. The second swordfight is almost a one-er. Needed more sword fights in the middle and end.

In the end, I enjoyed this. I would’ve enjoyed it more had I remembered this was a musical because it took me a bit to settle into it as a musical. Some of the dialog aspired to Shakespearean precision and tempo - that sharpness comes from the theatricality of the stage musical, I imagine.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart