I'm annoyed that we didn't have a thread on this already. It's been going since 2005... well, in Georgia at least...

NATIONAL MARTIAL ARTS DAY
WHEREAS: Martial arts is renowned for introducing and reinforcing the concepts of self-discipline, focus and self-esteem for the millions of Americans involved in the field; and
WHEREAS: Participation in martial arts develops the capacity for non- violent conflict resolution, goal-setting capabilities and the strength of character that creates productive and healthy individuals; and
WHEREAS: Martial arts provide a strong foundation for mental and physical ability. Strength and flexibility coupled with emotional development create success skills that last a lifetime and help enhance performance in other sports, in the workplace, at home and in school; and
WHEREAS: On National Martial Arts Day, martial arts schools across the country work to heighten knowledge and encourage participation. The activities are designed to unite all martial arts schools and their participants in the common effort to recognize the positive benefits of martial arts training; now
THEREFORE: I, SONNY PERDUE, Governor of the State of Georgia, do hereby proclaim October 15, 2005, as MARTIAL ARTS DAY in Georgia.
In witness thereof, I have hereunto set my hand and caused the Seal of the Executive Department to be affixed this 17th day of August in the year of our Lord two thousand five.
Can a state declare a national observance day?