Thread: Ride On (龙马精神)

Ride On (龙马精神)

Sep 15, 2021 1:08pm PT
    New Jackie Chan Film ‘Ride On’ Starts Shooting Amid Early Musings of Box Office Trouble

By Rebecca Davis

Jackie Chan Vanguard
    Courtesy of Gravitas Ventures
    Jackie Chan has begun shooting his next film, a martial arts-based comedy about a man and his horse, entitled “Ride On.”

The 67-year-old superstar remains as prolific as ever, churning out a movie a year since 2019, despite the pandemic. While the presence of his name on a marquee continues to sell tickets, a number of his latest works have been critical bombs. On the Chinese Douban review platform, viewers rated last year’s “Vanguard” with a 4.5 out of 10, 2019’s “Mystery of the Dragon Seal: Journey to China” 3.6 out of 10, and “The Knight of Shadows: Between Yin and Yang” a 3.8.

His latest could break the streak. In “Ride On,” Chan will play a down-and-out, washed-up martial artist named Lao Luo, who is very attached to his beloved horse. When he becomes mired in a dispute over debt, however, it seems that the horse may be taken away from him, leading him to ask for help from his daughter Xiaobao (Liu) and her boyfriend (Guo), who embark on a road trip together to resolve the crisis.

Currently scheduled to release in 2022, the film is written and directed by Yang Zi, who helmed the light-hearted pet-themed film “Adoring,” released last New Year’s Eve.

“Ride On” is produced by Alibaba Pictures, Beijing Hairun Pictures and HG Entertainment Film Company. The film’s Chinese title roughly translates to “Dragon Horse Spirit,” with the dragon referring to Chan’s martial arts history and the horse being his beloved mount.

Alongside Chan, it stars “Adoring” actor Guo Qilin (the 25-year-old son of Guo Degang, one of China’s most recognizable crosstalk comedians) and Liu Haocun, the new young muse of Zhang Yimou whose star has risen rapidly after appearing in his “One Second” and “Cliff Walkers.”

Liu’s acting chops have been widely praised, with Zhang himself calling her the next Zhou Dongyu and even comparisons of her to a young Gong Li. But she has run into a measure of trouble with her public image online for an incident involving her parents’ dance training school. After a young student there became partially paralyzed after a spinal injury at the school, Liu’s parents tussled in court with the girl’s family over compensation issues, inciting criticism of the family for fighting the payment.

While the issue was settled, online detractors remain critical of Liu for not, as a public figure, offering a public statement or apology about the incident, which received a large amount of local press.

The incident may be tabloid-esque, but in China’s recent political climate, any whiff of scandal around an entertainer can quickly spiral out into calls for boycotts and even the erasure of past works — leaving some online questioning the film’s casting choice and whether it could have an impact on its future box office prospects.

Last year, Chan’s “Vanguard” made $44 million in China.
    I still haven't seen Vanguard...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

RIDE ON - Chinese Teaser (2022) Jackie Chan Comedy Movie

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Jackie Chan - Ride On 2023 (龙马精神) Official Trailer 2

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

4/7/2023 premiere for PRC...

Berlin: Buyers Go Buckwild for Jackie Chan Horse Stuntman Movie ‘Ride On’
    An homage to Chan's legendary stuntman movies, the action comedy has sold to North America and across Europe and Asia.

BY PATRICK BRZESKI

FEBRUARY 15, 2023 3:41AM

Jackie Chan in 'Ride On' GOLDEN NETWORK

Jackie Chan’s upcoming stuntman-horse buddy action movie Ride On has sold wide ahead of the European Film Market in Berlin. Hong Kong sales outlet Golden Network has inked distribution deals for the film across North America, Europe and Asia. The film is being sold as an homage to Chan’s classic stuntman movies.

Ride On stars Chan as a washed-up stuntman who can barely make ends meet, let alone take care of his beloved stunt horse, Red Hare. Chan’s character is in the process of seeking financial help from his estranged daughter and her lawyer boyfriend when he’s notified that his horse may be auctioned off to cover his debts. Suddenly, though, the stuntman and the horse become overnight media sensations when their real-life fight with debt collectors goes viral on social media. That earns the stuntman a second chance to choose between his movie career and his family.

The film has recently set for a wide release in mainland China on April 7, which happens to be the legendary action star’s 69th birthday.

Chan said in a statement that he’s particularly thrilled to be playing the role of a stuntman in the film, which is how he himself entered the movie business. “In the heyday of kung fu movies, you fought for real, you risked your life by really racing a fast car and really riding a wild horse. The spirit was passed on from one generation to the next,” he recalled.

The film is directed by Larry Yang, best known internationally for Mountain Cry, a festival favorite in 2015 and 2016. The $100 million box office success of his follow-up, Adoring (2019), cemented his status as one of China’s commercially bankable directors. Chan stars opposite Liu Haocun and Kevin Guo, two of China’s hottest new talents. Liu headlined Zhang Yimou’s recent spy thriller Cliff Walkers, China’s official 2022 Oscar submission. Second-generation comedian Guo stood out as the delivery boy who saves an abandoned canine from dog-catchers in Yang’s Adoring.

“The story of a man and a horse depending on each other is really interesting,” Yang says. “Moreover, the character Jackie plays this time is more down-to-earth than we’ve seen in his previous movies.”

Golden Network’s deals for the film, so far, include sales to: Well Go USA for North America; Plaion Pictures for Germany; Eagle Pictures for Italy; SPI International for Eastern Europe, Benelux and Israel; AN Media for CIS; ATV for Turkey; Phars Film for Middle East; Twin Co. for Japan; Contents Panda for South Korea; Shanghai Pictures for Malaysia; Shaw Renters for Singapore; Eagle International for Taiwan and worldwide Airline; Prima Cinema for Indonesia; Pioneer Films for the Philippines and Indo Overseas Film for India.
    Good ol' Well Go USA. Hope they give this a theatrical.

And for trivia buffs, Red Hare is the name of Lord Guan's horse - Chi Tu Ma 赤兔馬
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

First Forum review - belated

I forgot to post this but was reminded when I posted my Hidden Strike review

Saw this in a theater no less. I had the whole place to myself. I could cough, pass wind, change chairs, whatever.

This is a sentimental ode to stuntman, as well as a thinly veiled apology for being a crappy dad to his daughter (she’s illegitimate and had her share of scandal). So yeah, a father/daughter tale. And sometimes that relationship worked. There are heartfelt moments. Jackie cries a lot.

Costars include Yu Rongguang, who is in so many JC flicks, Shi Yanneng, the former Shaolin monk who I knew from my early years there (even wrote a cover story on him), and surprisingly Wu Jing.

Jackie plays an aging stuntman who lives in a strange open air stable with his stunt horse Red Hare (that’s the name of Lord Guan’s horse - he’s the patron saint of martial artists and prostitutes). Due to some legal issues, Red Hare is going to be sold, so Jackie contacts his estranged daughter (mom died of some terminal illness) - his daughter is in law school. Meanwhile Jackie owes some money which is an excuse for thugs to attack him randomly.

The fight choreo is Jackie at 69. There’s still an inventive quality, but it’s mostly one shot = one strike and he’s using stunt doubles. He does manage on daring feat, standing atop a huge Ferris wheel, which is revealed in the post credit ng. Throughout the film there are clips from Jackie’s old movies showing some of his best stunts, so whenever I got skeptical of the action, those brought me back to a place of reverence for Jackie. He’s earned the right not to do anything that crazy anymore.

It’s got some moments, but at over 2 hours, it drags at points. Jackie and Red Hare do some stunts to earn their keep, and there’s Easter egg homages through the film like a clock with a small figure hanging off it like Jackie in Project A.

It’s one of Jackie’s better recent films as most of his new stuff has been weak. I haven’t seen his last two films - Good Night Beijing or All U Need is Love (I suspect he just has cameos in these) but I have to go back to The Foreigner for a film a truly liked. Excluding the last two which I didn’t see, there were 6 other films in between, all of which were mediocre. The Foreigner was 2017 and he’s been in nine films since then.

This has a decent story and the horse is cool. The action is ok but not overly impressive. It does show Jackie’s acting chops, which he’s underrated for because of his action roles. Jackie cries a lot in this film and to his credit, he brings different subtleties of emotion into each tearful scene.

I enjoyed watching this in the theater more for the experience of the theater. It’s not really a big screen film tho.

Recommended only for those who truly love Jackie.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our latest sweepstakes - Enter to WIN!

Enter to win Jackie Chan's Ride On on Blu-Ray Disc
    Contest ends 10/26/2023.

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our winners are announced