Thread: Star Wars: Ashoka

Star Wars: Ashoka

‘Star Wars: Ahsoka’: Natasha Liu Bordizzo To Play Sabine Wren In Disney+ Series

By Nellie Andreeva
    Co-Editor-in-Chief, TV
    @DeadlineNellie

November 19, 2021 1:35pm

Courtesy of Daria Kobayashi Ritch; Everett
    EXCLUSIVE: Natasha Liu Bordizzo (The Society) has been cast as a lead opposite Rosario Dawson in the Disney+ limited series Star Wars: Ahsoka, a spinoff from the streamer’s hit series The Mandalorian, I have learned. I hear Bordizzo will be taking on the character of Sabine Wren from the Star Wars Rebels animated series. Reps from Lucasfilm and Bordizzo did not return emails seeking comment.

Dawson stars as Ahsoka Tano in the limited series after making the Star Wars: Clone Wars and Rebels character’s live-action debut in The Mandalorian. The offshoot, written by Dave Filoni and executive produced by Filoni and Jon Favreau, will continue Ahsoka’s story.

No additional information about the new series has been released by Lucasfilm, but there has been a lot of online speculation that key characters from Rebels such as Sabine Wren and Ezra Bridger would join Ahsoka in the new show.

That is because, prior to dropping in on The Mandalorian to assess the Child, Ahsoka was last seen in the series finale of Rebels, where she and Wren set out to find Bridger, who had been whisked away by the Purrgil.

Sabine Wren, who was voiced on Rebels by Tiya Sircar, is a young Mandalorian warrior and graffiti artist, Imperial Academy dropout and a former bounty hunter with expert knowledge of weapons and explosives.

Ahsoha, which is eyeing a March production start date, according to a ProductionWeekly listing, also is expected to feature an appearance by Hayden Christensen as Anakin Skywalker, who would reunite with his Jedi Padawan, Ahsoka, likely in flashbacks as the series is set five years after Return of the Jedi.

Bordizzo made her screen debut as Snow Vase in Netflix’s Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: Sword of Destiny. She also starred on the streamer’s series The Society and in the 2019 film Crazy About You. Her feature credits also include The Voyeurs, Detective Chinatown 2, Guns Akimbo and Hotel Mumbai. She will next be seen in Day Shift.
    I love Sabine. She's my fav character out of Rebels. And I interviewed Natasha for Gong Shou Dao.

threads
    Gong Shou Dao (The Art of Attack and Defence)
    Star Wars: Ashoka
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

"It's really amazing learning martial arts in my 40s."

Try learning it when you're pushing 60...

Ahsoka Filming Update Given By Star Wars Actor Rosario Dawson

BY DAN ZINSKI
    PUBLISHED 1 DAY AGO
    Exclusive: Ahsoka Tano actor Rosario Dawson gives a filming update about the fan favorite character's Disney+ Mandalorian spin-off show.

Rosario Dawson as Ahsoka Tano in The Book of Boba Fett in the forest looking serenely intense
    Rosario Dawson provides a filming update on the highly-anticipated Ahsoka TV show. One-time Jedi Padawan of Anakin Skywalker Ahsoka Tano first came into fans' lives on the animated show Star Wars: The Clone Wars. The Togruta warrior later made her live-action debut in The Mandalorian season 2.

Ahsoka was of course already a fan favorite character in animated form, and became even more so once she was introduced to the world of live-action Star Wars on Disney+. It was a natural then that Ahsoka would return for another appearance in The Book of Boba Fett, and that she would ultimately receive her own spinoff show. That spinoff show was indeed confirmed to begin filming in early May 2022, with Dawson returning as Tano.

The process of filming a TV show as big as Ahsoka is of course a long one. Indeed, during an interview with Screen Rant to promote Clerks 3, Dawson revealed that shooting on the show is still ongoing several months after it launched. She said:

“Yes, we're still filming it right now. We just have a couple months left. It's going great. It's really amazing learning martial arts in my 40s. [Laughs] It's super amazing, and I don't use that word very lightly. My grandmother used to say, ‘Amazing is two blue horses,’ if you ever said something was amazing. Because it'd be like, ‘No, amazing is two blue horses. That pizza slice probably isn't amazing.’”

Rosario Dawson as Ahsoka Tano in Book of Boba Fett in the forest with her arms crossed looking somewhat smug
    It’s of course already been revealed that Ahsoka is set during the same time period as The Mandalorian and The Book of Boba Fett, placing it after the events of Return of the Jedi in the larger Star Wars timeline. It’s also known that the show will feature more characters from the Star Wars Rebels animated series besides Ahsoka, including Sabine Wren (Natasha Liu Bordizzo), Hera Syndulla, and the droid Chopper. Not yet confirmed is one exciting fan theory suggesting Ahsoka will focus on Tano’s ongoing hunt for Grand Admiral Thrawn, a fan-favorite villain from Star Wars Rebels (Ray Stevenson has been cast as an Imperial Admiral but it’s not confirmed that this is Thrawn). And perhaps most importantly, Ahsoka will bring back Hayden Christensen to play Anakin Skywalker (though the show is of course set after that character’s demise in Return of the Jedi, so a Force Ghost appearance is likely in the offing).

This latest expansion of the Star Wars streaming menu is of course an exciting development for fans who can’t get enough of that particular space opera universe. And it’s even more exciting for fans who love characters from the Star Wars animated universe, and can’t wait to see how things play out as Ahsoka continues questing around the galaxy. Dawson’s grandmother might balk at calling all this “amazing,” but fans undoubtedly have no qualms about throwing around such superlatives when considering the further on-screen adventures of Ahsoka Tano and her Star Wars Rebels compatriots. Ahsoka is set to be released on Disney+ some time in 2023.

About The Author

Dan Zinski (2933 Articles Published)
    Dan Zinski is a freelance scribe currently contributing to Screen Rant as a movie and TV news writer. He previously wrote for FanSided, The Viking Age, Lightly Buzzed and Dotspotter.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart