Thread: Netflix Power Rangers

Netflix Power Rangers

Netflix Lands New ‘Power Rangers’ Cinematic Universe From Creator Jonathan Entwistle
    Charles Barfield November 24, 2021 3:58 pm News

A little more than a year ago, it was announced that Jonathan Entwistle (producer and director of “The End of the F***ing World”) was working with Hasbro and eOne on a new reboot of the “Power Rangers” universe. At the time, it was said the deal would likely be for a feature film that would potentially lead to a new set of shows. Now that is official, and it appears Netflix is the lucky streamer landing all of the “Power Rangers” goodness.

According to an interview with Deadline, eOne’s President of Global Television, Michael Lombardo, revealed that work is now being done to bring “Power Rangers” to Netflix. And no, it’s not just going to be a film series. We’re talking about an expansive cinematic universe of films and TV series, all for the streamer.

“Since we set up ‘Power Rangers’ with Jonathan, we pitched really a whole-world approach,” he teased. “It’s not just one show; it is shows followed by films, some kids’ programming. We have found a great writing partner for him; they are off. Knock on wood, Netflix is excited, we’re excited, we hope to have some news soon.”

It appears eOne and Hasbro aren’t just content with a new film series; the studios both want to fully make a brand-new “Power Rangers” universe, which will include films, series, and even kids’ programming. It’s unclear if they will build off the 2016 reboot film that seemingly was enjoyed by critics for the most part but didn’t necessarily set the box office on fire. Or, more likely, it’ll be just a brand-new reboot of the franchise, offering Entwistle a blank slate to build his “Power Rangers” empire atop.

For those unaware, “Power Rangers” tells the story of a group of disparate teens who are imbued with alien powers that allow them to transform into martial arts superheroes. They also gain control of giant robots called Zords, attempting to fight monsters and other baddies. The franchise has been going strong internationally for decades, spawning so, so many spinoffs. Even to this day, it’s a popular series on Netflix, where much of the previous shows and films can already be found.

A release date or official plan for the new reboot has yet to be announced.
    threads
    Power-Rangers-(2017)
    Netflix Power Rangers
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

30th Anniversary Special on Netflix

Amy Jo Johnson Explains Why Kimberly Isn't in Netflix's Power Rangers Reunion Special: 'For the Record...'
    By Andy Swift / January 18 2023, 8:10 AM PST

Courtesy of Saban Entertainment/Everett Collection

Some of the most memorable characters in Power Rangers history are assembling for a 30th anniversary special on Netflix. (Key word: some.)
    Among those not returning is Amy Jo Johnson, who played Kimberly Hart, the first-ever Pink Ranger on Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, from 1993 to 1995. And lest there be any confusion about why Kimberly isn’t suiting back up for old time’s sake, Johnson has cleared the air in a tweet.
    “For the record I never said no,” she tweeted on Wednesday. “I just didn’t say yes to what was offered. But other fun stuff is in store! Looking forward to watching my friends kick ass!”
    So, there you have it. No bad blood, just bad budgeting.
    Premiering globally on Wednesday, April 19, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Once & Always is a standalone special that reunites David Yost as Billy Cranston, the original Blue Ranger; Walter E. Jones as Zack Taylor, the original Black Ranger; Steve Cardenas as Rocky DeSantos, the second Red Ranger; Catherine Sunderland as Kat, the second Pink Ranger; Karan Ashley as Aisha Campbell, the second Yellow Ranger; and Johnny Yong Bosch as Adam Park, the second Black Ranger.
    The special will also feature Barbara Goodson, who provided the American voice of original Power Rangers villain Rita Repulsa, as well as Richard Horvitz, who voiced their robot sidekick Alpha.
    Since her days as Kimberly, Johnson went on to play a number of memorable TV characters, including Felicity‘s Julie Emrick and Flashpoint‘s Jules Callaghan. She also made a cameo alongside the late Jason David Frank (aka Green/White Ranger Tommy Oliver) in 2017’s big-screen Power Rangers movie.
    Anyone going to watch this?

threads
    Power-Rangers-(2017)
    Netflix Power Rangers
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

MIGHTY MORPHIN POWER RANGERS: ONCE AND ALWAYS | Official Trailer (2023)

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

spandex in my 50s...

Amy Jo Johnson Slams Claim She’s Not in ‘Power Rangers’ Anniversary Special for Financial Reasons: “Simply Not True”
    The first Pink Power Ranger in the franchise tweeted, "Maybe I just didn’t want to wear spandex in my 50s."

BY CARLY THOMAS

MARCH 26, 2023 7:57PM

Amy Jo Johnson; Pink Power Ranger in 'Mighty Morphin Power Rangers' DIA DIPASUPIL/GETTY IMAGES FOR REEDPOP; COURTESY OF EVERETT COLLECTION

Amy Jo Johnson, who played the original Pink Power Ranger, is clapping back at claims that she didn’t sign on to Netflix’s upcoming Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Once & Always due to financial reasons.

“Please stop saying I didn’t do reunion because of money. Simply not true,” she wrote on Twitter Sunday. “Maybe I just didn’t want to wear spandex in my 50s or couldn’t go to NZ for a month.Or none of ur beeswax.”

Several other castmembers from the original ’90s show and movie Mighty Morphin Power Rangers are reprising their roles for the 30th anniversary special, including David Yost’s Blue Ranger Billy Cranston, Walter E. Jones’ Black Ranger Zack Taylor and Steve Cardenas’ Red Ranger Rocky DeSantos.

The actress, who played the Pink Ranger for more than 130 episodes in the original series, took to social media in January to set the record straight that she “never said no” to the reunion. “I just didn’t say yes to what was offered,” she said at the time. “But other fun stuff is in-store! Looking forward to watching my friends kick ass!”

1995’s ‘Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie’ 20TH CENTURY FOX/COURTESY OF EVERETT COLLECTION
    The Felicity actress is now clarifying that she and the late Jason David Frank, the original Green Ranger, who died at the age of 49 last year, “both chose not to for our own reasons.” She said the movie was filmed before Frank died.

She later followed up on Twitter on Sunday to cheer on her former Rangers, writing, “Excited to see my pals @David_Yost & @Walterejones rock it though!!”

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Once & Always premieres on Netflix on April 19.

threads
    Power-Rangers-(2017)
    Netflix Power Rangers
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Thuy & Jason

Netflix's Power Rangers reunion special honors Yellow and Green Ranger actors with song by Amy Jo Johnson
    Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Once & Always pays tribute to Thuy Trang, who died after a car accident in 2001, and Jason David Frank, who died by suicide in 2022.
    Patrick Gomez
    By Patrick Gomez
    April 19, 2023 at 01:00 AM EDT

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers
    TYPE
    TV Show
    Warning: This article contains spoilers for Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Once & Always.

The Power Rangers 30th anniversary special was always intended to be a tribute to original Yellow Ranger Trini actress Thuy Trang, who died in 2001. But after the tragic death of original Green Ranger Tommy actor Jason David Frank in 2022, Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: Once & Always had to find a way to honor both late actors.

The Netflix special (now streaming) centers on original Blue Ranger Billy (David Yost) and original Black Ranger Zack (Walter Emmanuel Jones) teaming up with other past rangers to battle a robot version of Rita Repulsa (voice actor Barbara Goodson), who kills Trini in the opening scene of Once & Always.

In real life, Trang died at 27 after a car accident. In the anniversary special, Trini's daughter Minh (Charlie Kersh) aims to take on the mantle of the Yellow Ranger and continue her mother's legacy — the entire plot centers around honoring Trini and Trang.

Thuy Trang as Trini; Jason David Frank as Tommy | CREDIT: EVERETT COLLECTION (2)
    Frank's passing is not addressed during the scripted part of Once & Always. The actor's death by suicide at age 49 came after filming of the special was complete, but Frank had declined to participate. His character, Tommy, is seen in the Green Ranger suit and helmet but spends most of the story miniaturized and frozen by one of Rita's monsters. The special ends with "Dr. Tommy" returning to live with his wife, Kat (the second Pink Ranger, played by Catherine Sutherland), and their son J.J.

But the final moments of the special — showing Billy and Zack sitting at an Angel Grove Youth Center table, regaling Minh with stories about her mom — transition into footage from Mighty Morphin Power Rangers season 2, episode 11, "The Song of Guitardo."

The episode saw Tommy depleted of his Green Ranger powers after using them to fight Rita and Lord Zedd's forces, and ended with Kimberly (Amy Jo Johnson) and Zack serenading Tommy and commemorating the end of that chapter in his life. (Don't worry, he was soon given White Ranger powers.)

The song, "Down the Road", was reportedly written by Johnson (who declined to participate in the special but is working on a Power Rangers comic book to commemorate the 30th anniversary). And the lyrics serve as an eerily prescient coda to Once & Always.

"Memories will never die / In our hearts / they'll always live / and never say / goodbye," they sing before photos of their former costars appear with "In loving memory of Thuy Trang and Jason David Frank" below.

Thuy Trang; Jason David Frank | CREDIT: EVERETT COLLECTION; MICHAEL BUCKNER/DEADLINE/PENSKE MEDIA VIA GETTY IMAGES
    "I think it was very poignant," Jones tells EW of including the song in the special. "In that [season 2] episode, we were saying goodbye to Tommy, and it was a moment that we were all sharing. And to be able to take that piece of history and apply it to current day history.... I was happy that we had that as a way to say goodbye in a most honorable way — and to get to share our grief."

"It was really difficult for me to watch it and to think about it and have the realization that both Jason and Thuy are gone," Yost adds of seeing the final version of the tribute. "As a cast, we were like brothers and sisters, we all got along. You know, we would fight every now and then, but we were a team and a family. I'm just so glad we got to honor Thuy and David in this way."
    Anyone watch this yet?
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips