Thread: Why kungfu and head injuries don't mix.

dwid Guest

Why kungfu and head injuries don't mix.

I received what the hospital called a "mild" concussion (i.e. no identifiable brain trauma) from a throw last week, and I still can't maintain good enough balance to do even the most basic of my bagua practices. Well, I guess it's stancework for a while. I hope I don't forget too much.

Chang Style Novice Guest
    Well, if you think head injuries mix well with anything, maybe you should see the doctor again!

(rimshot)

JWTAYLOR Guest
    Good for you, chicks did concusions. Or was that jewelry? I can't remember, 11 concusions later and I can't seem to remember much at all.

WJT

If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

shaolinboxer Guest
    Well, at least you'll feel motivated to learn to take better falls :)

Mr. Nemo Guest
    Damm!t! Chang Style Novice, I was gonna use that line! First Ryu beats me to a spinoff, now you.

KC Elbows Guest
    I just don't see why head trauma and kung fu don't mix. This is the perfect opportunity to create a new style. Walking Wounded Fist? You'd be a grandmaster. Think of the fame! :D

Sharky Guest
    lol at the WJT joke... if it *was* a joke... :rolleyes:

All i wanted was some RICE CAKES! Now? WE MUST BATTLE.

dwid Guest

I've been told the first concussion is the worst one.

I don't think I care to get enough of them to draw such comparisons. For the record, I know how to breakfall, I'm just a bit rusty, and was playing with some Judo people for the first time.

After the concussion-inducing injury, I proceeded to roll with the class for about another hour, not realizing the extent of my injury until I left the class and kept veering into walls. It was really weird. I knew the direction I wanted to go, but my body kept drifting to the left. Now I've got all kinds of side-effects. My sense of temperature is completely out of whack on my right side, my left eye is droopy, etc...

KC Elbows Guest
    Dude!! Go back to the doctor, like now!!

Droopy eyes and no sense of temperature are not something to play with. Tell me you are still seeing a doctor about this and that your doctor is aware of these symptoms.

Don't mess with the brain. And don't expect that future concussions will be any nicer-you don't build a tolerance to brain trauma.

JWTAYLOR Guest
    I'd just like to second that.
    JWT

If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

dwid Guest

I guess I should clarify.

The numbness on my right side has reduced significantly since the day of the fall. The droopy eye is unrelated to the fall and was sustained while rolling when a guy's knee dug in as I pulled him over me. I had a CAT scan at the hospital the day of the event, and there was no swelling or bleeding. Other than that, I was told to just be patient, and that some side-effects of concussion can last anywhere from a few weeks to three months.

dwid Guest

I plan to set up a follow up with my doctor regardless.

Hopefully I can get in sometime next week.

wu_de36 Guest
    Ahh.... breakfalls by yourself are one thing, but having someone else help give you momentum really adds some fun to the equation. Some of my best breakfalls have happened either on ice or when flying over my bike's handlebars :)

You might be interested to know that Shuai Chiao players tend to cover their head during breakfalls instead of the traditional floor slap method you learn in judo/ju-jitsu classes. I thought this was unusual until I tried it. Besides, given the size of my arm to my ass, it really wasn't absorbing that much force anyways :)

Hope your head feels better. Sounds like you got rocked pretty good. Next time wear a big padded helmet :)

dwid Guest
    I actually learned my breakfalling from the Shuai Chiao class at OSU, and I find the method superior to that generally employed in Judo. Slapping is fine on a mat, but on concrete, it's not so good. Anyway, I hadn't done breakfalling from a serious throw since taking Shuai Chiao like 2 or so years ago, and obviously I was a bit rusty. Strangely, in spite of the injury, I was much more impressed by the ground grappling in Judo than I was in the throwing. I'd like to do more of that once my head returns to normal.

Patrick Day

Boxer Patrick Day Dies From Traumatic Brain Injury Suffered in Super Welterweight Fight
    ALAA ABDELDAIEM 16 HOURS AGO

© Jon Durr-USA TODAY Sports

Patrick Day dies after suffering traumatic brain injury in welterweight fight

Junior middleweight Patrick Day has died from injuries sustained in his 10th-round knockout in Chicago on Saturday night, the boxer’s management company, DiBella Entertainment, announced on Wednesday.

According to the statement, Day succumbed to the traumatic brain injury he suffered in his title bout loss to defending champion Charles Conwell. He was surrounded by his family, close friends and members of his boxing team at the time of his death.

"On behalf of Patrick's family, team, and those closest to him, we are grateful for the prayers, expressions of support and outpouring of love for Pat that have been so obvious since his injury," the statement read.

Day, 27, fell to the canvas on Saturday after falling under a barrage of punches in the 10th and final round. Day was treated by a doctor in the ring and then was rushed off on a stretcher by paramedics and transported to Northwestern Memorial Hospital, where he underwent emergency brain surgery and fell into a coma shortly afterward.

As of Sunday evening, Day was still in a coma and was in “extremely critical condition,” per DiBella Entertainment.

In an emotional open letter to Day on Monday, Conwell said he had replayed the fight "over and over in my head" and was riddled with feelings of guilt and regret over the outcome.

"If I could take it all back I would. No one deserves for this to happen to them," Conwell wrote in the post. "I prayed for you so many times and shedded so many tears because I couldn't even imagine how my family and friends would feel."

DiBella Entertainment added that Day's death made it "very difficult to explain away or justify the dangers of boxing at a time like this."

"This is not a time where edicts or pronouncements are appropriate, or the answers are readily available. It is, however, a time for a call to action," the team said. "While we don't have the answers, we certainly know many of the questions, have the means to answer them, and have the opportunity to respond responsibly and accordingly and make boxing safer for all who participate. This is a way we can honor the legacy of Pat Day. Many people live much longer than Patrick's 27 years, wondering if they made a difference or positively affected their world. This was not the case for Patrick Day when he left us. Rest in peace and power, Pat, with the angels."
    THREADS
    Why kungfu and head injuries don't mix.
    Martial Arts Deaths
    Boxing
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart