Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Our latest Feature on KungFuMagazine.com

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

My first backing for a comic on Kickstarter! Very excited to receive this.

Behind Kung Fu SkillZ

Over the summer of 2022 I was commissioned to design the logo for the (then super-secret project) KUNG FU SKILLZ for Hung Gar Master, Sifu Kurtis Fujita, my co-host on THE COMICS FU SHOW.

Name:  KungFuSkillz-final.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  95.2 KB
    PLUGO (formerly Design Sifu) author, illustrator, comic creator:@PLUGO on Twitter | @PLUGOarts on Instagram - but all the good stuff is on PLUGOarts.com

Quote Originally Posted by @PLUGO View Post
    Over the summer of 2022 I was commissioned to design the logo for the (then super-secret project) KUNG FU SKILLZ for Hung Gar Master, Sifu Kurtis Fujita, my co-host on THE COMICS FU SHOW.

Name:  KungFuSkillz-final.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  95.2 KB
    Very curious to see how Kung Fu Skillz plays out once I receive my issue. It's certainly something unique among the comics I am familiar with.

Quote Originally Posted by wuxiaman View Post
    Very curious to see how Kung Fu Skillz plays out once I receive my issue. It's certainly something unique among the comics I am familiar with.
    Yes, a totally unique approach. I included a glossary and back-matter to A Tiger's Tale vol. 1 but this is an order of magnitude different.
    PLUGO (formerly Design Sifu) author, illustrator, comic creator:@PLUGO on Twitter | @PLUGOarts on Instagram - but all the good stuff is on PLUGOarts.com

Received my comic a few weeks ago. I enjoyed the nods to Chinese martial arts traditions, and rivalries between schools already! Excited to see what's next.

Received my comic a few weeks ago. I enjoyed the nods to Chinese martial arts traditions, and rivalries between schools already! Excited to see what's next.
    Wonder if you guys have a list of retailers that carry your comics. I know there's that one out near the beach in the Los Angeles area, but I am rarely out there. Please don't tell me to buy anything online...

End Credit Sequence!

Here's a list of Kickstarter backers in the format of an animated series credit sequence.

Quote Originally Posted by YinOrYan View Post
    Wonder if you guys have a list of retailers that carry your comics. I know there's that one out near the beach in the Los Angeles area, but I am rarely out there. Please don't tell me to buy anything online...
    I believe this thread will be updated should Shadow Ghost Issue #1 appear at any physical location.

I believe this thread will be updated should Shadow Ghost Issue #1 appear at any physical location.
    Hope so. The Manga compitition just keeps growing larger and larger every year, even in the mainstream bookstores like Barns & Noble. I think you guys underestimate the value for people buying this stuff anonymously for both kids AND adults, haha

It's all about distribution

Any indie comic has to be marketed via the interwebz nowadays. Distribution to retail outlets like B&N et.al. relies on distributors and for a comic (or a newsstand magazine like we had - although comics and magazines are separate distribution networks) to get inserted into such outlets, it's gotta be much bigger. Typically this means it must be picked up by a major comic publisher because the cost for an indie to get distribution on its own is prohibitive.

So if you like indie comics like this, you must support their indie distribution. Otherwise, it'll never grow to a point where it might be in local outlets.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Any indie comic has to be marketed via the interwebz nowadays. Distribution to retail outlets like B&N et.al. relies on distributors and for a comic (or a newsstand magazine like we had - although comics and magazines are separate distribution networks) to get inserted into such outlets, it's gotta be much bigger. Typically this means it must be picked up by a major comic publisher because the cost for an indie to get distribution on its own is prohibitive.

So if you like indie comics like this, you must support their indie distribution. Otherwise, it'll never grow to a point where it might be in local outlets.
    Does size matter? With comics there are lots of small Japanese indies at B&N, and there are large Chinese that are not. I know that Anime Expo is politely determined to keep out even slightly Chinese related content...