Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: shaolin buddhism and ma in Africa

shaolin buddhism and ma in Africa

Have just chanced on an opportunity to take dharma and aide to Mosambique, Africa. Firstly, I heard someone mention ma in Africa a little while back. Does anyone know what they're doing combat wise out there?

Secondly, in terms of buddhism, and particularly ch'an, do they have that information there?? I really don't know alot about the place, except the brief module I learnt in a history component at uni.

On a personal note, and maybe directed to Mickey, Gene, SPJ and even Toby ( for devils advocate factor), You know I have a daughter at home in Australia turning 11 right? We've spoken about volunteer aide positions and travelling together for a bit to do it. Africa was always on our list, though how likely she'd be to come is another story altogether.

I do think that aide aside, which is so needed in whatever capacity anyone can manage, is worthy on its' own, but because it's the plight of "ch'an" buddhist to spread dharma. What are your thoughts. Your best opinion or troll is welcome.

Question is this : if Ally ( my daughter ) doesn't want to go, best dharma to stay or go???

have several weeks to consider. What do you think??

Ps: may not have much food, water and likely not a computer. Because of lack of facilities , if and when I leave, I doubt it's going to be pretty. If I go, I'll send you my best "ugly shot" me in shaolin greys under the kilimanjaro. ( is that near - by there?? ) you may get lucky and loose me afterall

Oh man, bl - you really don't have a clue do you. If your daughter doesn't want to go, what do you think is the right course of action?
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    ---------------------------------------------
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer
    How do you think monks/strippers got started before the internet? - Gene Ching
    Find your peace in practice. - Gene Ching

Re: shaolin buddhism and ma in Africa

Originally posted by blooming lotus
    Does anyone know what they're doing combat wise out there?
    Oh man, it's awesome! Daily 10hr training sessions in the shadow of Mt Kilimanjaro. Doesn't matter where you are, everything's near Kili. Training consists of a mixture of Tae-bo, TKD, wrestling, boxing, qi gong - you know, whatever works for them.

Secondly, in terms of buddhism, and particularly ch'an, do they have that information there??
    Heaps! It's a wealth of buddhism, particularly ch'an!

... directed to ... Toby ( for devils advocate factor)
    Why Eyebrows, I'm flattered! *blushes*

I do think that aide aside, which is so needed in whatever capacity anyone can manage, is worthy on its' own, but because it's the plight of "ch'an" buddhist to spread dharma. What are your thoughts.
    You'll be doing a marvellous job. Africans will welcome ch'an buddhism. It fits so closely with their cultural heritage. I'm amazed no-one has thought of this before!

Question is this : if Ally ( my daughter ) doesn't want to go, best dharma to stay or go???
    Go - your daughter will be fine raised by someone else. Poor African children are far more worthy than Ally. They're even more needy than Chinese students. Maybe not quite as needy as Indian teenagers.

Places to go? Maybe buy a farm in Zimbabwe. Or I've heard Somalia is nice at this time of year.

Keep us updated ...
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

"I don't do much cardio." - Ironfist

"Grip training is everything. I say this with CoC in hand." - abobo

Actually, bl, why don't you go to Sudan? I bet you would be really well received preaching Buddhist dharma there.
    "i can barely click the link. but i way why stop drinking .... i got ... moe .. fcke me ..im out of it" - GDA on Traditional vs Modern Wushu
    but what if the man of steel hasta fight another man of steel only that man of steel knows kung fu? - Kristoffer

now that we have naive, uninformed and character bashing out of the way, for those that understand the concept of ch'an buddhism, how about a real informed objective opinion??

Ps: If everyone thought like the above, how do these countries ever develop, how do they bail themselves out of their national dilema and you all say you'd like to see world hunger and needless suffering end ha??

well good to know

*Puts on uninformed 1st world hat*

I would think the most effective way to change a country like that would be at governmental level. Most seem to have very wealthy ruling classes that are the cause of hardship within their people. Unless you want to become a citizen and work your way up the ladder to president, IMO it's unrealistic to think that any number of aid organisations will be able to help much at all. The other option? Support a leader of another country that is willing to go in there and oust the current leadership. E.g. America.

BTW who said I'd "like to see world hunger and needless suffering end"? Not that I don't like the concept, but I don't recall saying it. E.g. some think that the Coalition in Iraq reduces needless suffering. OTOH I totally oppose the invasion of a sovereign country, regardless of the reason.
    "If trolling is an art then I am your yoda.if spelling counts, go elsewhere.........." - BL

Bs. It all starts with education. Besides the government has only the funding is does, and I did here recently they've made huge ground there in Africa for agriculture recenetly and may experience their first surplus in the last 100 or so yrs.

Now they may have money to spend, they need to have the education to count it, and spend it in the most effective ways. They also ( now they'll be in the "world market") need language to negotiate effectively and so forth. Information about business, health, economy, language skills etc will be priceless there in yrs to come. If enough of us get out there, it will change futures, individual and societal.

Uh, good luck. Do you know that Africa isn't a country? Anyway, your argument assumes the government is interested in helping their people and using any wealth generated for the good of their people. OTOH I did hear that they've made huge ground in agriculture in Zimbabwe. They have more land than ever before for the indigeneous population. Mugabe saw to that.

lol... and a Mugabe is what did you say??

Hi blooming lotus,

I am getting ready for work. I will be back to you later.

mickey

lol... and a Mugabe is what did you say??
    Are you serious?

bl, you could really help to end needless suffering? You know how? STOP POSTING ON THIS FORUM!

I'm just looking over an email from a person already in Mozambique, and, to keep you current, already they have opened a sports school for orphans, conducting Aids outreach programmes, and opened training schools for future teachers, are providing aide to children, working agriculture / animal husbandry progammes, and opened construction, commerce and secretarial training centres, running academic and trade courses, even set up labs for research, established human rights tribunals and are in the process of demystifying the worlds' scientific phenomena.

did you know 2/3 of people in Nhamtanda are testing positive for aids or hiv . I do hear they watch alot of kungfu films though ( yaay it's not a class but it's on the right track :P) and yay again ...mud huts ( how do you suppose they get power in there???
    )

All in all, buddhist contributor or not, these folks have a very unembelished lifestyle.

Ps: if you get a $ to contribute to the "save the children fund" know it'll be spent well

cheers
    Last edited by blooming lotus; 09-04-2004 at 05:11 AM.

Africa, Africa, Africa,

Hi Blooming lotus.

“Have just chanced on an opportunity to take dharma and aide to Mozambique, Africa. Firstly, I heard someone mention ma in Africa a little while back. Does anyone know what they're doing combat wise out there?”

Besides the national sport of stick fighting and lion hunting? How about stone throwing? Just kidding. Southern Africa is much more developed than you think. South Africa is very similar to Australia in many ways.

Mozambique is an old Portuguese colony. There was a war that lasted for a couple of decades, which left the land broken and very dead. The southern border of Mozambique is still loaded with land mines, which was planted there during these wars, and the UN has been busy for the last few years to try to clean up these mine fields. I once read a newspaper article about the amount of land mines in Mozambique, and it was shocking. They are still waiting for the Morocans to send the million monkeys to hunt for the landmines. Mozambique was once a thriving holiday destination. At the coast, its very topical with white beaches, clear sea, palms trees, banana trees and all those nice things. There aren’t many people around, and it hasn’t been much of a holiday destination anymore, but there are still some nice hotels and great places to go scuba diving.

“Secondly, in terms of buddhism, and particularly ch'an, do they have that information there?? I really don't know alot about the place, except the brief module I learnt in a history component at uni. “

There is a big branch of a Buddhist Temple down in South Africa called the Nan Hua Temple. You can do a search, I know they have a website, but I don’t have the address. Their Main Temple is in South Africa in a town call Bronkhostspruit, but they have smaller “ branches” in other places. They might have some places in Mozambique, but again, I don’t know. It’s a Taiwanese branch, funded by Taiwan.

“Ps: may not have much food, water and likely not a computer. Because of lack of facilities , if and when I leave, I doubt it's going to be pretty. If I go, I'll send you my best "ugly shot" me in shaolin greys under the kilimanjaro. ( is that near - by there?? ) you may get lucky and loose me afterall “

The water is not half as bad as the water in Asia, and it all depends on where you go. Kilimanjaro is by Kenya, very far from where you are going.

“Ps: If everyone thought like the above, how do these countries ever develop, how do they bail themselves out of their national dilema and you all say you'd like to see world hunger and needless suffering end ha??”

I am pretty sure that there are hungry people where you come from too. You know the saying, Charity begins at home, have you ever thought of helping out the people in your home town? Africa is Africa, and I guarantee you, you are in for the culture shock of your life. But then again, Africa is also different to the rest of the world. Somehow people manage to live past all of the suffering and make life bearable. Not all African countries are in National dilemmas you know. Mozambique has one of the fastest growing economies in the world. Botswana is has one of the most stable economies on the continent and us down in South Africa has some of the most beautiful girls around (Charlese Theron is from Johannesburg).

“Bs. It all starts with education. Besides the government has only the funding is does, and I did here recently they've made huge ground there in Africa for agriculture recenetly and may experience their first surplus in the last 100 or so yrs.”

Im sure you are reading the wrong newspapers. Education and Poverty are the two most used words by politicians in any campaign down here.

“Now they may have money to spend, they need to have the education to count it, and spend it in the most effective ways. They also ( now they'll be in the "world market") need language to negotiate effectively and so forth. Information about business, health, economy, language skills etc will be priceless there in yrs to come. If enough of us get out there, it will change futures, individual and societal.”

Actually, there are more than enough languages over here. Do you know if you know French, English and Portuguese, you would be able to travel to just about any African country and be able to communicate to people.

Africa is not like what you see on the Tarzan TV shows or on CNN you know.

“lol... and a Mugabe is what did you say??”
    now how are going to help eradicate poverty if you don’t even know what a mugabe is? Oh well, let me try explain. A mugabe is something between a Bush and a Hoossein. A terrorist who owns a large part of the oil and diamond fields in Africa.
    Anyways, here is a very big list of Martial arts down in Southern Africa. Go to www.martialarts.co.za and go the the links pages. You might be surprised how diverse Africa really is.

My suggestion? Why bother to come down here and help people you know absolutely nothing about. I mean, you don’t even know what a mugabe is, you obviously don’t know too much about the present political situations down in Africa. Africa has unique problems (I have said this many times) and it needs unique solutions. A Huge part of the problem is about clashes between different ethnic groups and races (even though you may think all Africans look the same, they have different cultures and backgrounds). By introducing a new, foreign religious philosophy don’t you think you are just adding fuel to the fire? I don’t know. Although your dreams are noble, I suggest you learn more about the places before you just believe all that you hear.

Tobi
    “Places to go? Maybe buy a farm in Zimbabwe. Or I've heard Somalia is nice at this time of year.”

Don’t you know? You don’t even have to buy farms in Zim anymore. You just go and take one if you want. That is, if you fit the profile I mean.

I better go now, an elephant just trampled my rose garden outside, and it sounds like the baboons are in the kitchen again J (just kidding BL. You make it so easy for us)

did you know 2/3 of people in Nhamtanda are testing positive for aids or hiv . I do hear they watch alot of kungfu films though ( yaay it's not a class but it's on the right track :P) and yay again ...mud huts ( how do you suppose they get power in there???
    you must be kidding me?? Mud huts? and you believe it? Yeah, in the rural villages people do stay in traditonal houses, but its not how you think.

I'll search for some pics and post them here. Might change your view on africa.