Thread: RIP Shigong Fu Leung

RIP Shigong Fu Leung

This is a little late, but I was hoping someone closer to him would post on this.

Fu was my teacher's primary teacher in his youth and I have trained with him maybe a dozen times, but I didn't really know him. He was a controversial figure and it didn't take a lot of time with him to start to understand why...

But his skill, and the skill of many of his students... Not controversial at all. He really knew his stuff.

This is the Facebook post from Bak Shaolin Eagle Claw Kung Fu

January 21 at 2:01 PM ·

"It is with heavy hearts that we announce that Si Kung Fu Leung passed away suddenly last week.
    Si Kung was loved and respected by countless people whose lives he touched, over a span of more than 5 decades of teaching and a lifetime of training. Students, disciples and friends from across the country and around the world will remember him for his wise words and excellent teachings, often infused with his one-of-a-kind sense of humor and expansive enthusiasm.
    Si Kung Fu Leung taught for over fifty years, and as early as 1980 was teaching Shaolin Temple arts and Eagle Claw in the United States. He set up over twenty schools in seventeen countries and his students now teach in schools across the US. Beginning his training at the age of four, Grandmaster Fu studied the Monkey system under his temple godmother and the Eagle system under his temple godfather. During his time in Hong Kong he studied Hung Gar under the late Sifu Chan Hon Chung, as well as expanding his knowledge of Eagle Claw studying in Lau Fat Mang’s gym. At one point a military man, his martial skill was tested in Vietnam among other armed conflicts.
    Si Kung’s legacy is manifest among his many students, grand students and great-grand students all over the country. His goal was always to educate people on the true martial and philosophical meaning of Kung Fu. He will be remembered for his endless enthusiasm for the martial arts, his dedication to his students and friends, and his genuine love of life.
    We’ll share more details on remembrances/memorials as they emerge."

condolences

I can't remember if I met him or not. I think we crossed paths at a tournament but I can't nail down when or where. Perhaps that's a false memory. He looks familiar but it may just be because I've heard of him due to his reputation.

Thanks for posting, ShaolinDan. I was waiting for someone closer to him to post because I couldn't remember if we'd met, and my wait proved successful. Again condolences.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

You almost certainly met him...but you probably meet just about everyone—I would never be able to keep everyone straight, I'm terrible with names.

Thank you.

Perhaps

I don't remember having a significant conversation with him so maybe I met him in passing. He does look faintly familiar but you know how martial gatherings can be - so many faces and names.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart