Thread: American Born Chinese

American Born Chinese

Shang-Chi’s Michelle Yeoh & Destin Daniel Cretton Reunite For Disney+ Series ‘American Born Chinese’; Chin Han, Yeo Yann Yann & Daniel Wu Also Star

By Mike Fleming Jr
    Co-Editor-in-Chief, Film
    @DeadlineMike

February 7, 2022 7:30am

Michelle Yeoh
    EXCLUSIVE: After teaming in the Disney/Marvel film Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings, Michelle Yeoh is set to top an international cast for the Destin Daniel Cretton-directed Disney+ fantastical series American Born Chinese. She will star alongside Ben Wang (MacGyver), Yeo Yann Yann (Wet Season), Chin Han (Mortal Kombat), Daniel Wu (Reminiscence), Ke Huy Quan (Everything Everywhere All At Once and as a child he starred in Goonies and Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom), former Taekwondo champion Jim Liu and Sydney Taylor (Just Add Magic).

Ben Wang
    Sean Velasco-Dodge

Yeo Yann Yann
    Chen You Wei
    Produced by 20th Television for Disney Branded Television, American Born Chinese will begin production this month in Los Angeles. The genre-hopping action comedy is adapted from Gene Luen Yang’s graphic novel by Emmy-winning writer-producer Kelvin Yu (Bob’s Burgers, Central Park) who is EP and showrunner. Cretton directs and is also EP alongside Melvin Mar and Jake Kasdan, Erin O’Malley, Asher Goldstein and Gene Luen Yang.

Chin Han
    Reto Sterchi

Daniel Wu
    Wing Shya
    Yeoh, whose film work includes Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon, Crazy Rich Asians, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. II and James Cameron’s upcoming Avatar sequels, with TV credits including Star Trek: Discovery and the upcoming The Witcher: Blood Origin, here will play Guanyin. She is an unassuming auntie who helps her nephew Wei-Chen navigate the challenges of American high school while maintaining her secret identity as the all-powerful Buddhist bodhisattva of Compassion. The series focuses on Jin Wang, an average teenager juggling his high school social life with his home life. When he meets a new foreign student on the first day of the school year, even more worlds collide as Jin unwittingly is entangled in a battle of Chinese mythological gods. The action-packed coming-of-age adventure explores identity, culture and family.

Ke Huy Quan
    Paul Wong

Jimmy Liu
    Josh Monkey
    Wang plays Jin Wang, the American teen whose parents immigrated from Taiwan and who is struggling to carve out exactly who he’s supposed to be, socially and culturally. Yann Yann plays Jin’s mom, Christine Wang, a strong-willed, opinionated woman with a sly wit, who loves her family deeply. Han plays Jin’s father Simon, a hard-working, devoted father and husband who is bumping up against the “bamboo ceiling” at his job.

Sydney Taylor
    Amy Casson
    Wu plays Sun Wukong “The Monkey King,” the legendary, all-powerful god of the Chinese epic Journey to the West, who enters our world in search of his son. Quan plays Freddy Wong, a fictional character from a popular mid-1990s sitcom. Liu plays Jin’s confident friend Wei-Chen, a teen who has just arrived in the United States, whose sweet demeanor belies the deeper mystery of his true identity. And Taylor plays Amelia, a friendly “all-American” girl who is Jin’s classmate and crush.

Yeoh’s deal was made by David Unger of Artist International Group.
    threads
    American Born Chinese
    Disney+
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Abc + eeaao = d+

Disney+'s American Born Chinese Is Turning Into an Everything Everywhere All at Once Reunion
    The upcoming show about teenagers embroiled in battles between mythic Chinese gods adds Stephanie Hsu to its lineup.
    By Linda Codega
    Yesterday 5:00PM

Stephanie Hsu as Jobu Tupaki in Everything Everywhere All at Once
    Hail to Hsu.Photo: Allyson Riggs/Courtesy of A24
    Amid an absolutely stacked cast, Stephanie Hsu (Everything Everywhere All at Once, Nora from Queens) has been cast as a guest star in the new Disney+ series American Born Chinese. According to Variety, “Hsu will appear as Shiji Niangniang, the Goddess of Stones, who works in a modern day jewelry shop along with her magical dog.”

American Born Chinese is based on the graphic novel of the same name by Gene Luen Yang that depicts the intersection of Chinese mythology and family through the enmeshing of three storylines. Kelvin Yu is poised to write, produce, and act as the showrunner for the show, which already reads as being much more action-oriented than the original graphic novel, which told a grounded, careful storyline amid magic and identity. Destin Daniel Cretton (Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings) directs and executive produces.

In the Disney+ show, the series will follow Jin Wang (Ben Wang), who is struggling to balance his high school social life and the pressures he feels at home. When Jin runs into Chinese exchange student Wei-Chen (Jim Liu) on the first day of school, “their worlds collide as Jin becomes entangled in a battle of Chinese mythological gods. Identity, culture and family are themes throughout,” according to Variety.

Also in the cast is Michelle Yeoh and Ke Huy Quan, both of whom starred alongside Hsu in the Daniels’ multiverse film, Everything Everywhere All at Once. Revealed in a Disney press release, Yeoh (who was also in Cretton’s Shang-Chi) will play Guanyin, an unassuming auntie, who helps her nephew Wei-Chen navigate the challenges of American high school while maintaining her secret identity as the all-powerful Buddhist bodhisattva of compassion. Quan plays as Freddy Wong, a fictional character from a popular mid-1990s sitcom. Also in the cast is Daniel Wu as the Monkey King, Sun Wukong—the legendary, all-powerful god of the Chinese epic Journey to the West, who enters our world in search of his son. There’s no word yet on when American Born Chinese might be premiering, but it’s high on our list of must-watch series when it does.
    threads
    American-Born-Chinese
    Everything-Everywhere-All-At-Once
    Disney
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Poppy Liu

Jun 27, 2022 11:00am PT
    Disney+ Series ‘American Born Chinese’ Casts ‘Hacks’ Breakout Poppy Liu (EXCLUSIVE)

By Joe Otterson

Poppy Liu
    Courtesy of Jenelle Fong

Poppy Liu has been cast in a guest star role in the upcoming Disney+ series “American Born Chinese,” Variety has learned exclusively.

Based on the graphic novel of the same name by Gene Luen Yang, the series follows Jin Wang (Ben Wang), a teenager juggling his high school social life with his immigrant home life. When Jin meets foreign exchange student Wei-Chen (Jim Liu) on the first day of school, their worlds collide as Jin becomes entangled in a battle of Chinese mythological gods. Identity, culture and family are themes throughout.

The cast also includes Michelle Yeoh, Yeo Yann Yann, Daniel Wu, Chin Han, and Ke Huy Quan among others. Liu will appear as Princess Iron Fan, who is described as enchanting and as possessing magical powers.

This is the latest high-profile TV role for Liu since she broke out in the role of Kiki on the Emmy-winning HBO Max series “Hacks.” She is also set to appear in the AMC anthology series “Tales of the Walking Dead” as well as the Amazon series adaptation of “Dead Ringers” starring Rachel Weisz. Liu is also known for roles in shows like “Sunnyside,” “Better Call Saul,” “iCarly,” ‘Dollface,” and “New Amsterdam.”

She is repped by Buchwald, Framework Entertainment and Schreck Rose.

“American Born Chinese” is written and executive produced by Kelvin Yu, who also serves as showrunner. Melvin Mar, Jake Kasdan, Asher Goldstein, Erin O’Malley, and Yang also executive produce. Destin Daniel Cretton serves as director and executive producer. The series reunites Cretton and Yeoh, who previously worked together on the Marvel film “Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings.” “American Born Chinese” is produced by 20th Television. Mar and Kasdan were previously executive producers on the ABC comedy series “Fresh Off the Boat.” They and their Detective Agency production company are currently under an overall deal at 20th TV.
    I should re-read the comic...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

In Production Featurette | American Born Chinese | Disney+

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Coming soon...

How the American Born Chinese TV series translates the classic graphic novel to screen
    Author Gene Luen Yang, show creator Kelvin Yu, and star Ben Wang talk about working with Michelle Yeoh and bringing the Asian-American experience to screen.
    By Christian Holub
    December 21, 2022 at 10:00 AM EST

American Born Chinese is a certified classic graphic novel. A beautifully told story about growing up as the child of immigrants and learning how to fit in America, it is often taught in schools and held up as an example of the artistic heights that comics can reach. Now it's becoming a TV show — and no one is more surprised about that than author Gene Luen Yang.

"I'm stunned that people are still reading it," Yang tells EW. "I was actually just in Boston a month ago talking about this book, and in a lot of ways I feel very fortunate for the support that I get from teachers, librarians, and comic book fans. I did not expect this when I first did that book. With the show specifically, I think one of the challenging parts, but it's also one of the most meaningful parts of the show, is thinking through how the conversation about Asian America has changed from the publication of the book until now?"

Michelle Yeoh and Ben Wang in the 'American Born Chinese' TV series. | CREDIT: DISNEY
    Kelvin Yu, the creator of the American Born Chinese series, has a succinct description of what makes Yang's work (which also includes graphic novels like Dragon Hoops and Superman Smashes the Klan) so rich and long-lasting.

"I think Gene's tone, if you read any of his graphic novels, has this great combination of heart, humor and I guess I'll call it medicine," Yu says. "It's like there's something nutritious about what he's saying, and yet it goes down so well and it doesn't take itself too seriously. That just checks every box for me as a TV writer."

American Born Chinese stars Ben Wang as Jin Wang, the child of Chinese immigrants who is growing up as an American. Wang didn't read the graphic novel until he was auditioning for the series — but when he did, he cried with recognition.

Jin Wang (Ben Wang) and his parents on 'American Born Chinese.' | CREDIT: DISNEY/CARLOS LOPEZ-CALLEJA
    "I basically had to do no extra research because almost every single thing that I read was something that I've lived one to one," Wang says. "In a way that's very exciting and in a way that's also very scary because there's something vulnerable about showing that much. I understood that what this job called for is a very honest and open, truthful version of myself and things that come from me. That can be scary as an actor because you don't do it very often."

As the show's team worked on the adaptation, they realized that while some things have changed since Yang's childhood (mostly the kinds of pop culture that kids are enamored with), feelings of alienation and isolation are still relevant to many immigrant children.

Jin deals with those feelings by escaping into fantasy realms populated by characters from Chinese mythology like Sun Wukong the Monkey King (played by Daniel Wu) and Guanyin, the goddess of mercy (played by Michelle Yeoh). Guanyin didn't appear in the original American Born Chinese (though she does factor in another Yang graphic novel, Boxers & Saints), but her character was added to the TV show as Yu and his team expanded the story to stretch across multiple episodes.

Daniel Wu stars as Sun Wukong the Monkey King in 'American Born Chinese.' | CREDIT: DISNEY
    "On a visceral level, I'm a superhero fan," says Yang, who has written superheroes for both DC and Marvel. "At the heart of the superhero genre is this blending of the fantastic and the mundane. I think that really reflects the Asian-American experience in particular, and the immigrant child's experience in general. Many of us feel like we live in between two different worlds. For me, when I was a kid I spoke one language at home and another one at school. I have one name at home and another one at school. I lived under two different sets of cultural expectations."

Yang continues, "In the show, the way that's expressed is with mythology. There really are two worlds in the show — at least two. The show is about how they intersect and how that intersection sometimes brings about conflict, the same way that on a more mundane level for immigrant kids, the intersection of our world sometimes brings about conflict."

It's a great time to be a fan of Yeoh. She seems well on her way to her first Oscar nomination, thanks to the world-conquering A24 hit Everything Everywhere All At Once. As it happens, Yeoh isn't even the only Everything Everywhere star in American Born Chinese. Both Ke Huy Quan and Stephanie Hsu also appear in the series.

"She's actually magic," Wang says of Yeoh. "I've got this joke prepped that's like, 'Michelle Yeoh is the goddess of compassion and she plays one in the show too.' Hey! But seriously, she was so kind and generous with her spirit and also she's just a very fun, goofy person. It's just a great energy to have on set. I probably was way too nervous around her all the time, I couldn't shake that off. But that was also kind of a gift for me as an actor, because she's playing this god whose stories you've heard in folk tales growing up her as an actual person is basically a perfect one-to-one. I was like, 'I'll just use this nervousness.'"

American Born Chinese is set to premiere on Disney+ in 2023.
    so excited for this...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Locker Reveal | American Born Chinese | Disney+

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Worlds Collide | American Born Chinese | Disney+

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I'll have to borrow someone's Disney Plus account to watch this one. I haven't read the original graphic novel so I should probably do so sooner than later.

About that...

I read the original way back in the day, but that was so long ago I hardly remember it. It's out of print now so expensive.

There's a new version (surely promoting this series) that was slated to drop last November, but it keeps getting pushed back, surely to time with this series drop. I'm on a wait list for it at my local comic shop.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

American Born Chinese | Official Trailer | Disney+

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

How American Born Chinese Reunited the Cast of Everything Everywhere All At Once

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Men's Health video

Daniel Wu Shares the Martial Arts Workout He Used to Prep for American Born Chinese
    The action star walked us through the routine he used to portray the legendary Monkey King.

BY BRETT WILLIAMS, NASM PUBLISHED: JUN 6, 2023

preview for 'American Born Chinese' Star Daniel Wu's Martial Arts Fight Training | Train Like | Men's Health

WATCH: Daniel Wu | Train Like | Men's Health

DANIEL WU IS a martial artist with a background in Wushu, but the actor doesn't depend on one strict discipline to bring heart-stopping fight sequences to the screen. "In onscreen fighting, there's no real one style," he told Men's Health when we caught up with Wu to check out his training routine. "You have to mold yourself to fit into the choreography or the style of the character that you're fighting with."

In fact, his flashiest moves, deployed in movies and shows like The Man With the Iron Fists and AMC's Into the Badlands, might not even be useful to defend yourself IRL. "Sometimes you're doing crazy movements that are martial arts-related, but you'd probably never do in a real fight—but are really cool onscreen." Wu pointed to wire work, stunts that make it appear that the characters are able to defy the laws of physics, as a great example of this. While these maneuvers might not be technically possible off-screen, actors like Wu still have to be in incredible shape to make the stunts look real. "To be able to execute those kinds of things, not only do you need a good martial arts base, but you also need a strong body to be able to withstand all that and be able to move with all that," he said.

Wu brought his high-flying maneuvers to the Disney+ series American Born Chinese with his portrayal of the Monkey King, an iconic character in Chinese literature. He shared his fight choreography prep workout routine with MH, giving us a look at how he gets ready for showstopping stunts. Wu worked through a long warmup to prep his body for movement, using tools like a clubbell and kettlebells, before being joined by his striking coach Dr. Jason Park, PT, DPT, SCS for pad work.

This is a very specific routine, so you might not get results by following it to the letter—but if you're interested in the types of movement Wu uses for his fight scenes, you can use some of these principles in your own workouts.

Daniel Wu's Martial Arts Training Routine
    Clubbell Shoulder Warmup
    Elbow Supination
    10 reps per side

Elbow Pronation
    10 reps per side

Overhead Circles
    10 reps per direction

Single-Arm Halo
    10 reps per side

Wushu Stance Training
    Horse to Bow Stance Transitions
    Kettlebell Mobility and Strength Circuit
    Rear Lunge Overhead Press
    3 sets of 10 reps per side

Front Rack Toe Walks
    3 rounds of 50 foot walks

Kettlebell Squat Jumps
    3 sets of 5 reps

Kettlebell Rotational Swing
    3 sets of 10 reps

Martial Arts Training
    Shadowboxing
    Punch Isometrics
    Mitt Work
    Pad Work

BRETT WILLIAMS, NASM
    Brett Williams, a fitness editor at Men's Health, is a NASM-CPT certified trainer and former pro football player and tech reporter who splits his workout time between strength and conditioning training, martial arts, and running. You can find his work elsewhere at Mashable, Thrillist, and other outlets.
    American-Born-Chinese
    January-February-2016
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I finally finished reading the graphic novel. While a little off-putting initially with how it went everywhere, everything ties in nicely at the end. Now I just need to find someone who has a DIsney + log-in for me to borrow.

Cancelled

Jan 5, 2024 7:00am PT
    ‘American Born Chinese’ Canceled After One Season at Disney+

By Joe Otterson

©Disney+/Courtesy Everett Collection