Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Everything Everywhere: Inside the Craziest Fight Scene You’ll Ever See

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

I've interacted with James Hong so many times, but regret we never took a selfie...

LIVING LEGENDS
    James Hong Really Is Everything, Everywhere, All at Once
    The 93-year-old vet has more than 450 credits under his belt—and, as of this week, a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.
    BY DONALD LIEBENSON

MAY 9, 2022

AMANDA EDWARDS/GETTY IMAGES.

There’s an old Hollywood joke that encapsulates the supposed five stages of an actor’s career: Who is X? Get me X. Get me an X-type. Get me a young X. And finally, coming full circle: Who is X?

But after seven decades and more than 450 film and television credits, directors are still saying, “Get me James Hong.” Hong is the quintessential character actor; his name may be unfamiliar, but you’re likely to respond, “Oh, that guy!” if someone tells you he was the maître d’ in the classic Seinfeld episode “The Chinese Restaurant.” Evelyn Mulwray’s butler in Chinatown, or the unfortunate airline passenger seated next to oversharing, stuck-in-the-past Ted Striker in Airplane!

His most recent film, Everything Everywhere All at Once, is the year’s sleeper hit, a bonkers metaverse fantasia in which Hong portrays several variations on the same character, Michelle Yeoh’s disapproving dad. Even he can’t quite get a handle on the film. “I didn’t know whether I wanted to do it or not because the script is so crazy,” he says. “It’s like if you had a nightmare and you woke up and tried to write it down and make a movie out of it. I hope they do a sequel.”

On May 10, 93-year-old Hong will become the oldest actor yet to receive a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame—an honor with deep resonance for a once fledgling performer who came to Hollywood roughly seven decades ago, at a time when roles for Asian American actors were mostly limited to stereotypical characters. But he persevered to carve out his own cinematic universe.

The breadth and depth of his acting credits is staggering. Hong has been a voice artist for Disney (Mulan), Pixar (Turning Red) and DreamWorks Animation (the Kung Fu Panda series). His TV credits range from Hawaiian Eye to Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. He has shared the screen with Clark Gable, Lauren Bacall, and Jack Nicholson, and been directed by John Ford and Roman Polanski, to name just a few.

He has also served as a role model and inspiration for other actors. In 1965, he cofounded the East West Players to give opportunities and representation to other Asian American actors. It was this, in part, that inspired actor Daniel Dae Kim to launch the campaign to get Hong a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

“I started the campaign simply because many of us in the Asian American community have known about James’s work for decades,” Kim said in an email to Vanity Fair. “I’d learned that he’d actually been rejected for a star in the past, so I thought a more grassroots campaign might help the decision-makers see how worthy he truly is. I posted the idea on social media and started a GoFundMe campaign to raise funds for the cost of the star. It ended up being fully funded in a matter of days, which to me was an affirmation that I wasn’t the only one who felt this way about his body of work. It was heartwarming to know how much love there was for him, and what was notable was that the support wasn’t just from the Asian American community. It spanned every demographic…. In fact, I hope that James’s recognition improves the prospects for actors from all underrepresented groups whose work may have been traditionally overlooked.”

In anticipation of his Walk of Fame ceremony, Hong spoke with Vanity Fair about how an engineering major decided to pursue acting—and, in the process, built one of Hollywood’s most enduring and admired careers.
    continued next post
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

continued from previous

Hong in Everything Everywhere All at Once. COURTESY OF A24.

Vanity Fair: What does this honor mean to you?

James Hong: The star is going to be in front of Madame Tussauds Hollywood, next to the TCL Chinese Theatre [formerly Grauman’s Chinese Theatre]. I’m happy with the location. When I first came to Hollywood, I used to go to that theater and put my feet in those celebrity footprints in the cement. I thought, “Maybe someday I’ll have something here.” It’s a great honor. That it was funded by my fans means a great deal to me.

I speak for your fans when I say that you are one of those character actors who make whatever you’re in better, just because you’re there.

I look at every role as something special. Something happens when that camera turns on. Three days ago, I did a relatively low-budget film called Give Me My Money. The director was giving me instructions on how to do a scene. After the take, he said, “My goodness, when that camera turns on, you really give it all you’ve got.”

You studied civil engineering at the University of Minnesota. What was your career plan?

My parents obviously wanted me to be something other than an actor. I said, “I’ll be an engineer,” because I like to build things. I went into the Army for the Korean War. After two years of that, I didn’t know what to do. I came out to San Francisco to see if there was an opportunity to do comedy with my comedy partner, Don Parker (a Minneapolis Central High classmate). Then we headed down to Hollywood. I did impressions and a writer took an interest in me. He went to Groucho Marx and told him there was a Chinese comedian who impersonated him. He said, “Bring him on.” So I went on You Bet Your Life. I got the second biggest fan mail ever on this program. So then I thought, Maybe I’d better stay here instead of finishing college at the University of Minnesota. I transferred all my credits to USC and finished my engineering degree as a safety catch in case I failed.

You Bet Your Life was your first big break and got you an agent, Bessie Loo, who worked with Asian American actors. What was your attitude toward taking stereotypical roles?

In those days, it was almost all cliché roles. We were villains, busboys, waiters, and shoeshine boys. If you didn’t want to act in a yellowface role, you didn’t get any work at all. I averaged about 10 roles a year, but I put the best I could in each role, so even a clichéd role became human beings. Once in a while there was a colead, but the leading roles were all played by white guys with eye-piece disguises. I was in The New Adventures of Charlie Chan, but Charlie Chan was played by J. Carrol Naish. That was a horrible experience. He was not a nice person. He cursed me and told the producers to fire me [after Hong missed a cue].

I’d like to ask about a few roles for which you may be most recognized, like the maitre d’ on the classic Seinfeld episode “The Chinese Restaurant.” Do people yell Seinfeld to you when you are out in public?

Even my dentist. It was a skeleton script in a way; you didn’t know where the punch lines were. For instance, Elaine (Julia Louis-Dreyfus) says, “We would really like a table” and throws $5 on my table as a tip. I didn’t know what to do. Why wouldn’t this maître d’ take that tip? So I instinctively turned the page on the reservation book to cover the $5. That was just out of the blue. The situation grew because of what I know to do as a comedian. Whether it’s Seinfeld, Big Trouble in Little China, or even Blade Runner, you have to know what style they’ve created. You have to investigate all those facets.

Japanese General, Airplane!

There’s another example of how to do a cliché role and make it your own. I’m sure you’ve had the experience of sitting next to somebody who just keeps jabbering away and you wish you could just shout, “Why don’t you shut up?” The more he talks, the more you want to kill yourself. That’s what happens to my poor character. [As an actor,] you have to make sense out of nonsense.

Wealthy Passenger, “The Great Race,” Taxi. I love the look you exchange with Judd Hirsch when you realize he could have cheated you, but instead returned the money that you overtipped him.

I was playing a happy-go-lucky tourist; I’m in America and enjoying it all. My character pulls out a huge wad of money and says to take it, and then it dawns on him, wait a minute, this guy is refusing money. I’ve never seen that before. In Hong Kong they would take that money, for sure. My character is flabbergasted that there is a man in this world who would refuse a tip. In France I went to the opera, and the usher showed me to my seat and I thanked him and he put his hand out for a tip. I was shocked; whoever heard of an usher asking for a tip? So, I didn’t tip him. He was very perturbed.

Evelyn’s Butler, Chinatown.

I will never, ever forget that and The Two Jakes that Jack Nicholson directed. I learned so much from watching Jack Nicholson and [director] Roman Polanski together. How could you not? I admire his acting all the way back to Easy Rider. To act opposite him was a great thrill and honor.

David Lo Pan, Big Trouble in Little China.

This is the one that has the most avid fans. Again, it’s the same thing. How do you bring humanity to a supervillain? That’s what I put in Lo Pan: He wants a wife.

Finally, what advice do you give to actors?

The only advice I have is this: I came from Minnesota as a total stranger wanting to put my footprint on the sidewalk, and I finally did it after 70 years of hard, hard work. If you believe in yourself and your talent, go for it.
    threads
    A-star-for-James-Hong-on-Hollywood-Walk-of-Fame
    Everything-Everywhere-All-At-Once
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Abc + eeaao = d+

Disney+'s American Born Chinese Is Turning Into an Everything Everywhere All at Once Reunion
    The upcoming show about teenagers embroiled in battles between mythic Chinese gods adds Stephanie Hsu to its lineup.
    By Linda Codega
    Yesterday 5:00PM

Stephanie Hsu as Jobu Tupaki in Everything Everywhere All at Once
    Hail to Hsu.Photo: Allyson Riggs/Courtesy of A24
    Amid an absolutely stacked cast, Stephanie Hsu (Everything Everywhere All at Once, Nora from Queens) has been cast as a guest star in the new Disney+ series American Born Chinese. According to Variety, “Hsu will appear as Shiji Niangniang, the Goddess of Stones, who works in a modern day jewelry shop along with her magical dog.”

American Born Chinese is based on the graphic novel of the same name by Gene Luen Yang that depicts the intersection of Chinese mythology and family through the enmeshing of three storylines. Kelvin Yu is poised to write, produce, and act as the showrunner for the show, which already reads as being much more action-oriented than the original graphic novel, which told a grounded, careful storyline amid magic and identity. Destin Daniel Cretton (Shang-Chi and the Legend of the Ten Rings) directs and executive produces.

In the Disney+ show, the series will follow Jin Wang (Ben Wang), who is struggling to balance his high school social life and the pressures he feels at home. When Jin runs into Chinese exchange student Wei-Chen (Jim Liu) on the first day of school, “their worlds collide as Jin becomes entangled in a battle of Chinese mythological gods. Identity, culture and family are themes throughout,” according to Variety.

Also in the cast is Michelle Yeoh and Ke Huy Quan, both of whom starred alongside Hsu in the Daniels’ multiverse film, Everything Everywhere All at Once. Revealed in a Disney press release, Yeoh (who was also in Cretton’s Shang-Chi) will play Guanyin, an unassuming auntie, who helps her nephew Wei-Chen navigate the challenges of American high school while maintaining her secret identity as the all-powerful Buddhist bodhisattva of compassion. Quan plays as Freddy Wong, a fictional character from a popular mid-1990s sitcom. Also in the cast is Daniel Wu as the Monkey King, Sun Wukong—the legendary, all-powerful god of the Chinese epic Journey to the West, who enters our world in search of his son. There’s no word yet on when American Born Chinese might be premiering, but it’s high on our list of must-watch series when it does.
    threads
    American-Born-Chinese
    Disney
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Everything Everywhere All At Once (2022 Movie) - Special Feature "Final Fight"

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

$100m

Everything Everywhere All At Once Passes $100 Million At The Global Box Office
    Everything Everywhere All At Once
    By James White | Posted On31 07 2022

Everything Everywhere All At Once continues to make headlines. And in this case, cash. The multiverse movie from the Daniels has now crossed the $100 million mark globally, making it the most successful movie of all time for indie studio A24.

Since it debuted in the States in March (the UK had to cool its heels until May to see it), Everything Everywhere All At Once has surpassed expectations, earning $68.9 million in the US and $31/1 million internationally (including $6.2 million in the UK, the biggest haul outside America).

And that's not all it has surpassed. It leapfrogged over both of A24's previous champs, Uncut Gems, which was the company's biggest North American title with $50 million and Hereditary, which held the global title with $79 million.

Given its relatively thrifty $25 million budget, this is a huge win for the movie, which stars Michelle Yeoh, Ke Huy Quan, Stephanie Hsu, James Hong and Jamie Lee Curtis.

Though the movie is now available on home entertainment platforms, its box office has stayed strong, and A24 re-released the movie in Stateside cinemas this weekend with an added eight minutes of outtakes and a pre-recorded message from the directors.
    I'm eager to see this again...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Golden Globes 2023

See the full list of nominees below.

Best Motion Picture, Drama

“Avatar: The Way of Water” (20th Century Studios)

“Elvis” (Warner Bros.)

“The Fabelmans” (Universal Pictures)

“Tár” (Focus Features)

“Top Gun: Maverick” (Paramount Pictures)

Best Picture, Musical or Comedy

“Babylon” (Paramount Pictures)

“The Banshees of Inisherin” (Searchlight Pictures)

“Everything Everywhere All at Once” (A24)

“Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery” (Netflix)

“Triangle of Sadness” (Neon)

Best Director, Motion Picture

James Cameron (“Avatar: The Way of Water”)

Daniel Kwan, Daniel Scheinert (“Everything Everywhere All at Once”)

Baz Luhrmann (“Elvis”)

Martin McDonagh (“The Banshees of Inisherin”)

Steven Spielberg (“The Fabelmans”)

Best Screenplay, Motion Picture

“Tár” (Focus Features) — Todd Field

“Everything Everywhere All at Once” (A24) — Daniel Kwan, Daniel Scheinert

“The Banshees of Inisherin” (Searchlight Pictures) — Martin McDonagh

“Women Talking” (MGM/United Artists Releasing) — Sarah Polley

“The Fabelmans” (Universal Pictures) — Steven Spielberg, Tony Kushne

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture, Drama

Austin Butler (“Elvis”)

Brendan Fraser (“The Whale”)

Hugh Jackman (“The Son”)

Bill Nighy (“Living”)

Jeremy Pope (“The Inspection”)

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture, Drama

Cate Blanchett (“Tár”)

Olivia Colman (“Empire of Light”)

Viola Davis (“The Woman King”)

Ana de Armas (“Blonde”)

Michelle Williams (“The Fabelmans”)

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy

Lesley Manville (“Mrs. Harris Goes to Paris”)

Margot Robbie (“Babylon”)

Anya Taylor-Joy (“The Menu”)

Emma Thompson (“Good Luck to You, Leo Grande”)

Michelle Yeoh (“Everything Everywhere All at Once”)

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture, Musical or Comedy

Diego Calva (“Babylon”)

Daniel Craig (“Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery”)

Adam Driver (“White Noise”)

Colin Farrell (“The Banshees of Inisherin”)

Ralph Fiennes (“The Menu”)

Best Supporting Actor – Motion Picture

Brendan Gleeson (“The Banshees of Inisherin”)

Barry Keoghan (“The Banshees of Inisherin”)

Brad Pitt (“Babylon”)

Ke Huy Quan (“Everything Everywhere All at Once”)

Eddie Redmayne (“The Good Nurse”)

Best Supporting Actress, Motion Picture

Angela Bassett (“Black Panther: Wakanda Forever”)

Kerry Condon (“The Banshees of Inisherin”)

Jamie Lee Curtis (“Everything Everywhere All at Once”)

Dolly De Leon (“Triangle of Sadness”)

Carey Mulligan (“She Said”)

Best Television Series, Drama

“Better Call Saul” (AMC)

“The Crown” (Netflix)

“House of the Dragon” (HBO)

“Ozark” (Netflix)

“Severance” (Apple TV+)

Best Television Series, Musical or Comedy

“Abbott Elementary” (ABC)

“The Bear” (FX)

“Hacks” (HBO Max)

“Only Murders in the Building” (Hulu)

“Wednesday” (Netflix)

Best Performance by an Actor in a Television Series, Drama

Jeff Bridges (“The Old Man”)

Kevin Costner (“Yellowstone”)

Diego Luna (“Andor”)

Bob Odenkirk (“Better Call Saul”)

Adam Scott (“Severance”)

Best Performance by an Actress in a Television Series, Drama

Emma D’Arcy (“House of the Dragon”)

Laura Linney (“Ozark”)

Imelda Staunton (“The Crown”)

Hilary Swank (“Alaska Daily”)

Zendaya (“Euphoria”)

Best Actress in a TV Series, Musical or Comedy

Quinta Brunson (“Abbott Elementary”)

Kaley Cuoco (“The Flight Attendant”)

Selena Gomez (“Only Murders in the Building”)

Jenna Ortega (“Wednesday”)

Jean Smart (“Hacks”)

Best Actor in a TV Series, Musical or Comedy

Donald Glover (“Atlanta”)

Bill Hader (“Barry”)

Steve Martin (“Only Murders in the Building”)

Martin Short (“Only Murders in the Building”)

Jeremy Allen White (“The Bear”)

Best Supporting Actor, Television

John Lithgow (“The Old Man”)

Jonathan Pryce (“The Crown”)

John Turturro (“Severance”)

Tyler James Williams (“Abbott Elementary”)

Henry Winkler (“Barry”)

Best Supporting Actress, Television

Elizabeth Debicki (“The Crown”)

Hannah Einbinder (“Hacks”)

Julia Garner (“Ozark”)

Janelle James (“Abbott Elementary”)

Sheryl Lee Ralph (“Abbott Elementary”)

Best Limited Series, Anthology Series or a Motion Picture made for Television

“Black Bird” (Apple TV+)

“Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story” (Netflix)

“The Dropout” (Hulu)

“Pam & Tommy” (Hulu)

“The White Lotus” (HBO)

Best Performance by an Actor, Limited Series, Anthology Series or Motion Picture made for Television

Taron Egerton (“Black Bird”)

Colin Firth (“The Staircase”)

Andrew Garfield (“Under the Banner of Heaven”)

Evan Peters (“Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story”)

Sebastian Stan (“Pam & Tommy”)

Best Performance by an Actress, Limited Series, Anthology Series or a Motion Picture made for Television

Jessica Chastain (“George and Tammy”)

Julia Garner (“Inventing Anna”)

Lily James (“Pam & Tommy”)

Julia Roberts (“Gaslit”)

Amanda Seyfried (“The Dropout”)

Best Performance by an Actress in Supporting Role, Limited Series, Anthology Series or a Motion Picture made for Television

Jennifer Coolidge (“The White Lotus”)

Claire Danes (“Fleishman Is in Trouble”)

Daisy Edgar-Jones (“Under the Banner of Heaven”)

Niecy Nash-Betts (“Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story”)

Aubrey Plaza (“The White Lotus”)

Best Performance by an Actor in Supporting Role, Limited Series, Anthology Series or a Motion Picture made for Television

F. Murray Abraham (“The White Lotus”)

Domhnall Gleeson (“The Patient”)

Paul Walter Hauser (“Black Bird”)

Richard Jenkins (“Monster: The Jeffrey Dahmer Story”)

Seth Rogen (“Pam & Tommy”)

Best Original Score, Motion Picture

“The Banshees of Inisherin” (Searchlight Pictures) — Carter Burwell

“Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio” (Netflix) — Alexandre Desplat

“Women Talking” (MGM/United Artists Releasing) — Hildur Guðnadóttir

“Babylon” (Paramount Pictures) — Justin Hurwitz

“The Fabelmans” (Universal Pictures) — John Williams

Best Picture, Non-English Language

“All Quiet on the Western Front” (Germany)

“Argentina, 1985” (Argentina)

“Close” (Belgium)

“Decision to Leave” (South Korea)

“RRR” (India)

Best Original Song, Motion Picture

“Carolina” from “Where the Crawdads Sing” (Sony Pictures) — Taylor Swift

“Ciao Papa” from “Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio” (Netflix) — Roeben Katz, Guillermo del Toro

“Hold My Hand” from “Top Gun: Maverick” (Paramount Pictures) — Lady Gaga, BloodPop

“Lift Me Up” from “Black Panther: Wakanda Forever” (Marvel Studios) — Tems, Ludwig Göransson, Rihanna, Ryan Coogler

“Naatu Naatu” from “RRR” (Variance Films) — Kala Bhairava, M. M. Keeravani, Rahul Sipligunj

Best Motion Picture, Animated

“Guillermo del Toro’s Pinocchio” (Netflix)

“Inu-Oh” (GKIDS)

“Marcel the Shell With Shoes On” (A24)

“Puss in Boots: The Last Wish” (DreamWorks Animation)

“Turning Red” (Pixar)
    The-Golden-Globes
    House-of-the-Dragon
    The-Woman-King
    Black-Panther-Wakanda-Forever
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Congrats!

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

THE 95TH ACADEMY AWARDS | 2023
    Dolby Theatre at Ovation Hollywood
    Sunday, March 12, 2023
    Honoring movies released in 2022

ACTOR IN A LEADING ROLE
    NOMINEES
    AUSTIN BUTLER
    Elvis
    COLIN FARRELL
    The Banshees of Inisherin
    BRENDAN FRASER
    The Whale
    PAUL MESCAL
    Aftersun
    BILL NIGHY
    Living

ACTOR IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
    NOMINEES
    BRENDAN GLEESON
    BRIAN TYREE HENRY
    Causeway
    JUDD HIRSCH
    The Fabelmans
    BARRY KEOGHAN
    KE HUY QUAN
    Everything Everywhere All at Once

ACTRESS IN A LEADING ROLE
    NOMINEES
    CATE BLANCHETT
    Tár
    ANA DE ARMAS
    Blonde
    ANDREA RISEBOROUGH
    To Leslie
    MICHELLE WILLIAMS
    The Fabelmans
    MICHELLE YEOH

ACTRESS IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
    NOMINEES
    ANGELA BASSETT
    Black Panther: Wakanda Forever
    HONG CHAU
    The Whale
    KERRY CONDON
    JAMIE LEE CURTIS
    STEPHANIE HSU

ANIMATED FEATURE FILM
    NOMINEES
    GUILLERMO DEL TORO'S PINOCCHIO
    Guillermo del Toro, Mark Gustafson, Gary Ungar and Alex Bulkley
    MARCEL THE SHELL WITH SHOES ON
    Dean Fleischer Camp, Elisabeth Holm, Andrew Goldman, Caroline Kaplan and Paul Mezey
    PUSS IN BOOTS: THE LAST WISH
    Joel Crawford and Mark Swift
    THE SEA BEAST
    Chris Williams and Jed Schlanger
    TURNING RED
    Domee Shi and Lindsey Collins

CINEMATOGRAPHY
    NOMINEES
    ALL QUIET ON THE WESTERN FRONT
    James Friend
    BARDO, FALSE CHRONICLE OF A HANDFUL OF TRUTHS
    Darius Khondji
    ELVIS
    Mandy Walker
    EMPIRE OF LIGHT
    Roger Deakins
    TÁR
    Florian Hoffmeister

COSTUME DESIGN
    NOMINEES
    BABYLON
    Mary Zophres
    BLACK PANTHER: WAKANDA FOREVER
    Ruth Carter
    ELVIS
    Catherine Martin
    EVERYTHING EVERYWHERE ALL AT ONCE
    Shirley Kurata
    MRS. HARRIS GOES TO PARIS
    Jenny Beavan

DIRECTING
    NOMINEES
    THE BANSHEES OF INISHERIN
    Martin McDonagh
    Daniel Kwan and Daniel Scheinert
    THE FABELMANS
    Steven Spielberg
    TÁR
    Todd Field
    TRIANGLE OF SADNESS
    Ruben Östlund

DOCUMENTARY FEATURE FILM
    NOMINEES
    ALL THAT BREATHES
    Shaunak Sen, Aman Mann and Teddy Leifer
    ALL THE BEAUTY AND THE BLOODSHED
    Laura Poitras, Howard Gertler, John Lyons, Nan Goldin and Yoni Golijov
    FIRE OF LOVE
    Sara Dosa, Shane Boris and Ina Fichman
    A HOUSE MADE OF SPLINTERS
    Simon Lereng Wilmont and Monica Hellström
    NAVALNY
    Daniel Roher, Odessa Rae, Diane Becker, Melanie Miller and Shane Boris

DOCUMENTARY SHORT FILM
    NOMINEES
    THE ELEPHANT WHISPERERS
    Kartiki Gonsalves and Guneet Monga
    HAULOUT
    Evgenia Arbugaeva and Maxim Arbugaev
    HOW DO YOU MEASURE A YEAR?
    Jay Rosenblatt
    THE MARTHA MITCHELL EFFECT
    Anne Alvergue and Beth Levison
    STRANGER AT THE GATE
    Joshua Seftel and Conall Jones

FILM EDITING
    NOMINEES
    Mikkel E.G. Nielsen
    ELVIS
    Matt Villa and Jonathan Redmond
    Paul Rogers
    TÁR
    Monika Willi
    TOP GUN: MAVERICK
    Eddie Hamilton

INTERNATIONAL FEATURE FILM
    NOMINEES
    Germany
    ARGENTINA, 1985
    Argentina
    CLOSE
    Belgium
    EO
    Poland
    THE QUIET GIRL
    Ireland

MAKEUP AND HAIRSTYLING
    NOMINEES
    Heike Merker and Linda Eisenhamerová
    THE BATMAN
    Naomi Donne, Mike Marino and Mike Fontaine
    Camille Friend and Joel Harlow
    ELVIS
    Mark Coulier, Jason Baird and Aldo Signoretti
    THE WHALE
    Adrien Morot, Judy Chin and Anne Marie Bradley

MUSIC (ORIGINAL SCORE)
    NOMINEES
    Volker Bertelmann
    BABYLON
    Justin Hurwitz
    Carter Burwell
    Son Lux
    THE FABELMANS
    John Williams

MUSIC (ORIGINAL SONG)
    NOMINEES
    APPLAUSE
    from Tell It like a Woman; Music and Lyric by Diane Warren
    HOLD MY HAND
    from Top Gun: Maverick; Music and Lyric by Lady Gaga and BloodPop
    LIFT ME UP
    from Black Panther: Wakanda Forever; Music by Tems, Rihanna, Ryan Coogler and Ludwig Goransson; Lyric by Tems and Ryan Coogler
    NAATU NAATU
    from RRR; Music by M.M. Keeravaani; Lyric by Chandrabose
    THIS IS A LIFE
    from Everything Everywhere All at Once; Music by Ryan Lott, David Byrne and Mitski; Lyric by Ryan Lott and David Byrne

BEST PICTURE
    NOMINEES
    Malte Grunert, Producer
    James Cameron and Jon Landau, Producers
    Graham Broadbent, Pete Czernin and Martin McDonagh, Producers
    ELVIS
    Baz Luhrmann, Catherine Martin, Gail Berman, Patrick McCormick and Schuyler Weiss, Producers
    Daniel Kwan, Daniel Scheinert and Jonathan Wang, Producers
    THE FABELMANS
    Kristie Macosko Krieger, Steven Spielberg and Tony Kushner, Producers
    TÁR
    Todd Field, Alexandra Milchan and Scott Lambert, Producers
    Tom Cruise, Christopher McQuarrie, David Ellison and Jerry Bruckheimer, Producers
    TRIANGLE OF SADNESS
    Erik Hemmendorff and Philippe Bober, Producers
    WOMEN TALKING
    Dede Gardner, Jeremy Kleiner and Frances McDormand, Producers

PRODUCTION DESIGN
    NOMINEES
    Production Design: Christian M. Goldbeck; Set Decoration: Ernestine Hipper
    Production Design: Dylan Cole and Ben Procter; Set Decoration: Vanessa Cole
    BABYLON
    Production Design: Florencia Martin; Set Decoration: Anthony Carlino
    ELVIS
    Production Design: Catherine Martin and Karen Murphy; Set Decoration: Bev Dunn
    THE FABELMANS
    Production Design: Rick Carter; Set Decoration: Karen O'Hara

SHORT FILM (ANIMATED)
    NOMINEES
    THE BOY, THE MOLE, THE FOX AND THE HORSE
    Charlie Mackesy and Matthew Freud
    THE FLYING SAILOR
    Amanda Forbis and Wendy Tilby
    ICE MERCHANTS
    João Gonzalez and Bruno Caetano
    MY YEAR OF DICKS
    Sara Gunnarsdóttir and Pamela Ribon
    AN OSTRICH TOLD ME THE WORLD IS FAKE AND I THINK I BELIEVE IT
    Lachlan Pendragon

SHORT FILM (LIVE ACTION)
    NOMINEES
    AN IRISH GOODBYE
    Tom Berkeley and Ross White
    IVALU
    Anders Walter and Rebecca Pruzan
    LE PUPILLE
    Alice Rohrwacher and Alfonso Cuarón
    NIGHT RIDE
    Eirik Tveiten and Gaute Lid Larssen
    THE RED SUITCASE
    Cyrus Neshvad

SOUND
    NOMINEES
    Viktor Prášil, Frank Kruse, Markus Stemler, Lars Ginzel and Stefan Korte
    Julian Howarth, Gwendolyn Yates Whittle, Dick Bernstein, Christopher Boyes, Gary Summers and Michael Hedges
    THE BATMAN
    Stuart Wilson, William Files, Douglas Murray and Andy Nelson
    ELVIS
    David Lee, Wayne Pashley, Andy Nelson and Michael Keller
    Mark Weingarten, James H. Mather, Al Nelson, Chris Burdon and Mark Taylor

VISUAL EFFECTS
    NOMINEES
    Frank Petzold, Viktor Müller, Markus Frank and Kamil Jafar
    Joe Letteri, Richard Baneham, Eric Saindon and Daniel Barrett
    THE BATMAN
    Dan Lemmon, Russell Earl, Anders Langlands and Dominic Tuohy
    Geoffrey Baumann, Craig Hammack, R. Christopher White and Dan Sudick
    Ryan Tudhope, Seth Hill, Bryan Litson and Scott R. Fisher

WRITING (ADAPTED SCREENPLAY)
    NOMINEES
    Screenplay - Edward Berger, Lesley Paterson & Ian Stokell
    GLASS ONION: A KNIVES OUT MYSTERY
    Written by Rian Johnson
    LIVING
    Written by Kazuo Ishiguro
    Screenplay by Ehren Kruger and Eric Warren Singer and Christopher McQuarrie; Story by Peter Craig and Justin Marks
    WOMEN TALKING
    Screenplay by Sarah Polley

WRITING (ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY)
    NOMINEES
    Written by Martin McDonagh
    Written by Daniel Kwan & Daniel Scheinert
    THE FABELMANS
    Written by Steven Spielberg & Tony Kushner
    TÁR
    Written by Todd Field
    TRIANGLE OF SADNESS
    Written by Ruben Östlund

The-Academy-Awards
    Rrr
    Black-Panther-Wakanda-Forever
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Prop auction starts tomorrow!

A24 Auctions
    SOON
    Mementos from the Multiverse
    The Daniels took everything and put it on a bagel, and now we're giving it to you. From Raccacoonie to the stunt double from the Rockverse, pick what you want to bring into your reality.
    OPENS ON
    FEB 23 9AM PST
    (15) ORIGINAL ITEMS FROM
    Everything Everywhere All At Once
    AN AUCTION TO BENEFIT
    ASIAN MENTAL HEALTH PROJECT
    Asian Mental Health Project aims to educate and empower Pan-Asian communities in seeking mental healthcare. The project offers educational resources, community care initiatives, and grant-based assistance to help make mental healthcare more approachable for the Pan-Asian/APIDA community. Founded in 2019 by Carrie Zhang, the project works to de-stigmatize topics of mental health, critical social issues and provide tangible resources.
    This is brilliant.

I'm curious to see what kind of bids these get....especially the trophy.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Sag 2023

Feb 27, 2023 6:14am PT
    SAG Awards Top 1.5 Million Views Across Netflix’s YouTube Channel, Facebook and Twitter

By Todd Spangler

Getty Images

UPDATED: Netflix’s presentation of the 29th Screen Actors Guild Awards show garnered more than 1.1 million views on Sunday for the livestream on YouTube, and 1.5 million overall in the first 12 hours across YouTube, Facebook and Twitter.

The YouTube total comprises views tallied for the 2023 SAG Awards’ main feed and the audio descriptive feed. The SAG Awards ceremony livestream — which ran 2 hours and 14 minutes and carried no ads — is available to rewatch on Netflix’s YouTube channel.

The viewing total does not include breakout clips that Netflix posted during the awards show on YouTube and social media, including the acceptance speeches by the cast members of the night’s big winner, “Everything Everywhere All at Once.” For example, Michelle Yeoh’s speech after her historic win for best performance by a female actor in a leading role (becoming the first Asian woman to win a leading film acting award) had more than 58,000 YouTube views as of Monday morning, and Ke Huy Quan’s speech for male actor in a supporting role (the first Asian male to win a film acting trophy at the SAG Awards) had more than 55,000.

The way YouTube counts overall video views is different from the way Nielsen tabulates TV viewing metrics, so that is not an apples-to-apple comparison between this year’s SAG Awards viewership and past years. During Sunday’s livestream, the SAG Awards on YouTube averaged around 230,000-250,000 concurrent viewers across both feeds. In 2022, the kudocast drew an average 1.8 million total viewers for the simulcast on TBS and TNT; the year before that, the SAG Awards averaged 957,000 total viewers on TNT/TBS.

According to a SAG Awards rep, the 2023 SAG Awards ceremony livestream generated more than 1.5 million views across YouTube, Facebook and Twitter in the first 12 hours. Clips of the ceremony generated an additional 19.4 million views across platforms; in addition, the SAG Awards was the No. 1 trending topic on Twitter on Sunday night.

“As this was a transitional year for the SAG Awards, it was broadcast on social media with Netflix and other media partners in lieu of a broadcast partner,” the SAG Awards spokesperson said.

This January, Netflix announced a multiyear deal to stream the SAG Awards. This year’s broadcast was streamed on Netflix’s YouTube channel, and plans to stream the event live globally on Netflix itself starting in 2024.
    Screen-Actors-Guild-Awards
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

$559,475

‘Neat’ rock outfitted with googly eyes from Amazon sells for $13,000 at ‘EEAO’ auction
    The auction raised $559,475 for charity on Thursday

Bryan Ke
    March 3, 2023

A24 auctioned off several iconic “Everything Everything All at Once” props and costumes and raised hundreds of thousands of dollars to donate to charity in the process.

The New York-based film studio organized three different auctions themed after different aspects of its award-winning film.

Each auction had a charity tied to it: the In Another Life auction supported the Transgender Law Center; the Mementos from the Multiverse auction supported the Asian Mental Health Project; and the Laundry and Taxes auction supported the Laundry Workers Center.

Out of the 43 items auctioned off for a total of $559,475 on Thursday, the animatronic raccoon puppet used for the character Raccacoonie received the highest bid.

Five people bid on the iconic character. The eventual winner bid $90,000.

In “Everything Everywhere All at Once,” Raccacoonie serves as a nod to the beloved 2007 Pixar movie “Ratatouille” and controls actor Harry Shum Jr., who plays the character Chad.

Deirdre Beaubeirdre’s Auditor of the Month trophy received the second highest bid at $60,000, with eight people having attempted to own the interestingly shaped item.
    Other notable objects that were auctioned off include Evelyn’s Hot Dog Hands ($55,000), Waymond’s Fanny Pack ($48,000) and the Rockverse Rock ($13,200).

The official Laundry Delivery RV of the Wang family was notably auctioned off for just $11,000. A24 wrote that the vehicle “needs new transmission, engine, tires and serious TLC on the interior” and is “currently not street legal.”

Commenting on the success of the recent auctions, Jason Kisvarday, the film’s production designer, was surprised by how many people supported the event.

“There’s usually not a lot of demand or interest in these types of things after the movie comes out,” Kisvarday told The New York Times.

He also commented on the Rockverse Rock, saying, “It’s not because it’s a rock, it’s because of how many people saw the rock, are excited about this rock, and it means something to them.”

The rock was one of 10 “neat and interesting” rocks purchased from a stone supplier in Pasadena, California, for the movie, according to Kisvarday. Its googly eyes were purchased from Amazon.

First announced in late February, all three auctions ran from Feb. 23 to March 2.

Head over to the A24 auction website for the full list of sold “Everything Everywhere All at Once” props and costumes.
    More films should do this.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips