Thread: Mantis, is it USEFUL?

Mantis, is it USEFUL?

I'm fairly new to the Praying Mantis style. I'm curious to know how well it applies in street or even sparring combat. I know You may have heard this type of question before, regardless i'm still going to ask it. I'm only looking for opinions from those who have practiced Mantis, and have used it in a real fight.

Thank You

no, it isn't.

=================================
    What we really need is chicks with a whole new kinda orifice - Fish

Sharky, I should expect this level of immaturity from you after seeing your post titled "Hm." regarding the woman that lives next door to you. I think everyone who unfortuneatly read that post is a bit more ignorant now for doing so. - Spectre

All i wanted was some RICE CAKES! Now? WE MUST BATTLE.

Stacey Guest
    It was invented on a dare while the founder was really drunk.

HO HO HO

I have never met an insect I couldn't kill.

"I'll use my bare hands...against any weapon!"

We are trained in wushu. We must defend the Temple!

u guyz are mean

;)
    Da guy really wants to know, i was gonna ask it myself, heh, i read the title and i jes HAD to read it...n i know someone can give examples...

and i'd also like to know, what are the basis of mantis? what are alot of their attacks based upon? they gotta have some kinda theory or strategy...thnx

"True victory is giving all of yourself without regret"-Ryu

"Your best move is the move you regret not doing"-Fei Long

"Are you prepared to fight today? Someone else is as we speak"-Apprentice

Tut, tut, tut,

If you try hard enough, Young Sifu, you can make it work on the street, but you'll need to be REAL good. :)

If street-defence is what you're after, mantis ain't the best place to start. A style like Wing Chun or even Kickboxing, that will provide you with some effective basic moves, a competant fitness level, and experience of "getting stuck in" will be much more effective.

You could make Mantis work on the street. A lot of it depends on how you are instructed. If you're class is very technical, do some physical work outside of class, weight training and conditioning'll help also. For street defence, simple attacking moves, a strong defence and the ability to mix it with the big boys are essential.

Anyway, keep it up, and don't be put off by people's sarcastic comments, its just joking. :)

"Tomorrow's life is too late. Live today."
    Marcus Valerius Martialis

Oh yeah....

......and I'd like to state that I am no expert on this matter, so no-one jump in with:

"My Sifu says my style is the best on the street, and I'd kick you're ass if you came round my end"

Disagreement is fine. Just disagree with someone who cares, OK? :D

Terminal,

Excellent point (even if you didn't mean to make it) about the style vs. style junk. In my view, if your style didn't work, it's because YOU didn't know how to make it work.

Now if we could only put a stop to all this false lineage stuff! :p

"I'll use my bare hands...against any weapon!"

We are trained in wushu. We must defend the Temple!

Never noticed my "concealed point"!

Never noticed it at all. I actually wasn't trying to say that, but thanks for pointing it out Silum.

I completely agree, almost ANY style can be effective, you've just got to know how to work it right. I do Lau-Gar - a lot of handwork and low-kicks. There's no way I'm going to attempt a flying roundhouse with triple-Salco on the street, I'd have no idea :)

In lots of MMA tournaments (retch) you see guy's get beat cause they try and fight like their opponents, strikers try to wrestle, boxers try and kick etc. Gary Albright the US wrestler is great at getting strikers to grapple with him. He ends up full-Nelson'ing them every time :rolleyes:

Is Mantis useful?

Well, obviously, I believe it is. At the most basic levels of PM you learn basics: punching, kicking, chi na, etc. However, I also believe that PM kung fu has an exceptional amount of depth to its philosophy and techniques that take a long time to learn, examine, apply, reexamine, and fully understand.

I think this is how it is for all martial arts, including those that favor simplicity and expedency of technique.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Gary Albright the US wrestler is great at getting strikers to grapple with him.[/quote]
    I think you might mean "Gary Albright... was great at getting strikers to grapple with him." I heard he recently passed away. :(

He was a baaad man! I really enjoyed watching his matches.

"No Pain - Good."
    - neptunesfall

Yes it is effective.

I train in SPM, and IMHO, it is a great style.

During the very early stages of training, most of the focus is on using body mechanics to maximise power, and use the opponent's force against them. Later on, there is some internal focus, such as breathing control, chi gung, iron shirt, etc. Conditioning is very much a part of training in SPM, and muscle aches and bloody welts are not uncommon, you learn to take it after a while.

There is also some emphasis on grappling and take-downs, which are useful in minimal-force situations, where you just want to keep the opponent in control, without harming him/her.

It is a versatile system, to be sure.

What!

Albright is dead? That's pretty sad, he can't have been more than 40. :(

His matches were good, he really made a lot of supposed "master" strikers re-evaluate how they fought, mainly because they couldn't touch him.

Mantis is very useful, it will keep aphids off your tomato plants.

Mmmmm...homegrown tomatoes.