Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hard to pin down the exact question, but tired

Hard to pin down the exact question, but tired

This is such a hard question to ask as I know I am going to get the 'check them out' and 'go see for yourself' type replies. But there are so many schools and even though I have been hanging out on this forum for some time now, I still can't figure out what I would like best. Please don't turn this into a 'my style is best' thread. I just want some recommendations on schools in the St. Paul, MN area. If you could tell me why you are recommending it, too, that would be useful. Like, I attend(ed) there and the instructor is very good, or something like that.

Okay, my background, just so you can get a feel for what I might like. I studied Tae Kwon Do many years ago (20) for about 3 years, it was fun but a little too straight line. I am currently studying in a United Martial Arts school, thinking learning many styles might be good. (Don't even go there. Those of you who understood that remark know what I mean.) Of all the styles they teach I am liking Kung Fu, Tai Chi and Bagwa. I can't be more specific on what type of Kung Fu, for example, because they don't say it is a specific style. I don't fully understand the differences between each type in a single style to begin with anyway. I really enjoy doing forms and weapon forms. I don't get off on fighting but do feel it is important. I am just not in this to fight, more for fun, exercise, getting into better shape, and reaching some inner peace (whatever that means, like handling stress, I guess).

Anyway, now you probably need to know physical aspects. I am in my mid thirties, 5'9', 200 lbs, medium build, fairly strong. I have good endurance as I use to run marathons, then blew a knee and gained some weight during my recoping time. That is why I though about getting back into Martial Arts.

Well, with all that, anyone have any recommendations on either schools or maybe even what style might be a good fit for me?

Blog Entries
    United Martial Arts? Is that Chung Moo Do?

Fu-Pow

http://www.geocities.com/fu_pow/vmrc-halloween-3.jpg

Yep.

I don't need the lecture. I am looking for alternatives. Thanks.

I can give you some of the highlights of Wah Lum Northern Praying Mantis, then you can see if it's right for you:

low stances for conditioning and strength--very low--the lower the better.

one legged squat during tam tui exercises--good for strength and balance conditioning

high kicks also for strength and conditioning and flexibility--also trains mid and low section kicks for general purpose use, but for conditioning, go high

24 weapons--including 3 section staff, 9 section whip, spear, broadswords, knives

Plenty of forms, some two-man forms (both open hand and weapon against weapon), and two-man drills, good schools will also spar.

It's really hard to prescribe a type of kung fu to anyone person as there are soooo many styles out there. Maybe the best approach for us to help you out is to describe our kung fu to you.

Robin

Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

No lecture coming. Glad you're looking for what you like. Depending on if your knees are good now, kung fu is good, though technically tai chi and pa kua are kung fu styles, but that's just semantics.

Pa kua is an art I eventually plan on studying. If your knees are still weak, some of the twisting you'll have to build up to, but the style will build up your knees and legs, and give you some great body mechanics.

Tai chi is good, but make sure you find a very good teacher, as there's a lot of idiots teaching crappy tai chi in some areas. Play push hands with anyone you would learn from, and see if they can always beat you effortlessly. If so, cool, if not, keep looking.

Kung fu depends on the style. Because I'm biased, I'd lean you towards pa kua, IF there is a good teacher in your area.

My knees are pretty good now, they do get stressed some when we do Pal Gye (not sure of the spelling). It is that low twisting stuff that does it. But I get through it and they seem to be getting stonger.

This is great info, too, thanks and keep it coming!

Pal gae, god you're making me feel old. Used to be in chung moo. The pal gae way of doing those stances never bothered my knees, but I have very strong knees, always have. Keep in mind, the weight distribution on that low twist(basically at the opening) is pretty whacked, bad idea for fighting. However, if you want to see a really refined version of what pal gae footwork is trying to be, pa kua is the stuff.

KC Elbows,

Great, you even know the style/school I am coming from, so your recommendation means a lot. Now the bummer part. I am looking in the Yellow Pages and can't find anything with Pa Kua as part of the title or description. Anything else it might be called?

I do see Wing Chun Kung Fu, Southern Praying Mantis Kung Fu, Giet Phong Xay Muay Thai, American Kung Fu and Green Dragon Kung Fu. Everything else is Tae Kwon Do or Karate. There are a few Tai Chi schools, too.

Southern Mantis is cool stuff, I'm not sure which Green Dragon school that is, from my understanding there is a good green dragon school and a mediocre one, but I don't know which one is in what area. Some of the tai chi might know pa kua, too, but you'd have to call and ask them. Wing chun is interesting, but I'll leave it up to the wing chun guys to talk their style up. Find out what style of kung fu American Kung Fu teaches.

Another good bet would be to start a thread titled, "Kung Fu in St. Paul, MN?" If the thread goes off of the first page, post a response on it to bring it back up, until someone possibly gives you some answers.

I'm pretty sure there's a few people on this forum from your area, but I can't for the life of me remember who.

The SPM is with Master Gin Foon Mark. I checked out his WEB site and it looks pretty cool. Do you know anything about him? I will drop in for one of his classes for sure as one option. Thanks for the input I will follow up with the other schools like you recommended.

I'm not the expert on Gin Foo Mark, but the feedback I've heard on him is good. Do a search for topics on the forum that have his name on them, I'm sure they're there somewhere. Check him out.

I always recommend choosing schools by checking a whole bunch out. Never choose by saying "I want this style, and only X teaches it, so I'll study with X" as X might suck, and there might be some phenomenal teacher of another style that still would suit you. Let the phone book tell you which schools to check out, don't choose your school from a phone book add.

I hear ya! I will be checking out many schools. I am just putting that one on my list to get to. Since it seems there aren't too many in this area anyway, I will probably try each one. There are only 3 that specifically say Kung Fu in their title. I will also look into the ones a little more obscure, like the American Kung Fu. I will even give the Tai Chi ones a call and see if they also teach Pa Kua.

OK, quick did a search on Gin foon mark posts here. He sounds good. He knows acupuncture and chinese medicine as well, which is always nice if you hurt yourself.

Yeh, I saw that, too. Good, as I am no spring chicken anymore, these joints and muscles do stiffen up. I just hope whatever he does works better than the 'mystery herb' the Chung Moo school is always trying to get you to buy.

kc elbows

are you implying wing chun people like to talk about their art a little too much? ;)

-rtb