Thread: Lian Huan Quan Roll Application

Lian Huan Quan Roll Application

I'll preface this by saying, I'm sure there are plenty of you that this may be teaching to suck eggs. However there are always new people starting their kung fu journey, or who have just never learnt this stuff.

Been a while since I've been back to this forum other than the occasional lurking when trying to remember something I've forgotten, but it struck me others may lurk too when they're trying to find something. Now that we're both in Sydney I recently met up with Will from Monkey Steals Peach, you may also know him as the second half of the Jiang Hu channel that RenDaHai did. We did a spot of filming and I finally had the chance to do some applications with another person. Perhaps starting a kung fu channel during Covid lockdown was not the best idea!

Anyway, the result was this video on the application of a move in Lian Huan Quan- the roll from ma bu to opposite ma bu and a palm. Whilst the normal explanation you tend to get for this move is fine, it leaves a lot to be desired in terms of actually demonstrating how you might use it, so I thought I'd try to show rather than tell.

https://youtu.be/-OWyXLSDTXI

Oddly, I was looking at this yesterday.

The apps shown are solid.

My thought is that a movement in the form, represents a whole family of related techniques, rather than a single one. Every movement in a form should be unpacked and examined for principal and usage like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Royal Dragon Pi View Post

My thought is that a movement in the form, represents a whole family of related techniques, rather than a single one. Every movement in a form should be unpacked and examined for principal and usage like this.
    I agree, a lot of things will have a number of ways which they can be applied. Many people focus on the mid range, punching and kicking etc, but entering and grappling are all in there too, often using the same basic principles. Some movements do seem very specific, but I'm sure even those could have other applications in the right context.

It annoys me when people exaggerate form movements to such a degree that the applicability completely disappears.

Pretty decent. most of Shaolin applications can be unpacked this way, one move holding hundreds or thousands of variations lol.....

like pushing palm in xiao hong quan, seems pretty basic on the surface, yet has a kaleidoscope of expression within it.

Amituofo
    "色即是空 , 空即是色 " ~ Buddha via Avalokitesvara
    Shaolin Meditator