Thread: Transitions between forms in BSL?

Transitions between forms in BSL?

Odd question. I have been interested in the history of BSL (just ordered Wing Lam's 2 volume set on it) and have seen other people discuss that even though the forms are learned in a different order in increasing complexity that when performing them, they should be performed straight through 1-10.

So, my question is are the forms linked as one gigantic form? If so, are the endings/beginnings slightly modified to do this to make it flow, or do you just stop #1 and then do the opening salutation to #2 etc. ?
    "God gave you a brain, and it annoys Him greatly when you choose not to use it."

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin73 View Post
    So, my question is are the forms linked as one gigantic form? If so, are the endings/beginnings slightly modified to do this to make it flow, or do you just stop #1 and then do the opening salutation to #2 etc. ?
    When all 5 animals are done in one form it usually for demonstration, performance, or its a dragon form that contains all 5 animals. I don't know what's the case for the style you mentioned, but what I can see from the following video is that its probably a demo since its being narrated: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc1zhpqbEV0

Quote Originally Posted by YinOrYan View Post
    When all 5 animals are done in one form it usually for demonstration, performance, or its a dragon form that contains all 5 animals. I don't know what's the case for the style you mentioned, but what I can see from the following video is that its probably a demo since its being narrated: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc1zhpqbEV0
    BSL is short for Bak Sil Lum, which is a Northern Shaolin Longfist based system.

It wouldn't be done for demo purposes. But, at least as I understand it, it is a training method to really condition because putting all of the sets together and done properly is very taxing.
    "God gave you a brain, and it annoys Him greatly when you choose not to use it."

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin73 View Post
    It wouldn't be done for demo purposes. But, at least as I understand it, it is a training method to really condition because putting all of the sets together and done properly is very taxing.
    Sometimes string them all together. Funny thing is later after doing that, when I walk (normally) through a crowd, like an airport or a mall, the residual chi seems to just clear a path in front of me so nobody gets in my way, even when people that aren't looking where they're going. Has anyone else noticed that effect? Try it.