Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2023 Tiger Claw Elite Championships & KUNG FU TAI CHI DAY - May 6-7, San Jose, CA

More pix. We're gonna have a lotta pix

Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

more pix

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    More photos posted
    Wow! Lucky guys that have judge job for that! Now those are so much better than the iron-crotch pictures you started with, haha

Some coverage

May 13, 2023 Violet Li
    What A Tremendous Victory!
    The Tiger Claw Elite Kungfu and Taekwondo Tournaments, held in San Jose, California on last Saturday and Sunday May 6-7, 2023, attracted 1,536 skilled competitors from all over the U.S. and abroad. While many athletes received well-deserved medals for their exceptional performances, the true champion was the global martial arts community.

The organizers of the tournament had painstakingly planned every detail well in advance, with hundreds of competitors already registered by March 2020. However, the outbreak of the pandemic resulted in widespread societal shutdowns and citizens were advised to shelter in place. Unfortunately, this led to the cancellation of the 2020 Tiger Claw Elite Tournaments.

The three years that followed were a challenging time for the martial arts community globally. Many martial arts and Tai Chi schools were forced to close their doors. During this period, some of the most respected figures in the community, including Tai Chi and Qigong grandmasters Yang Zhengduo (95) and Zhang Xue Xin (94), and Effie Chow (89), and martial artists and movie stars Jimmy Wang Yu (79), Harry Mok, Yu Hai (81), and Sonny Chiba (82) passed away. While most died of old age, a few lost their battle to COVID-19. Majority of schools re-opened but several have not reached their pre-pandemic enrollments.

When people finally reunited at the tournaments last week, they embraced tightly and shared bittersweet emotions without words. Many expressed their gratitude for the opportunity to come together again after such a long separation.

As a judge for the tournaments, I felt honored to witness the incredible levels of skill and dedication displayed by the athletes. Throughout the weekend, I was assigned to judge at various levels, ranging from young children to seniors and from first timers to advanced practitioners.

One particular moment that stood out to me was when a 5-year-old boy with blonde hair and blue eyes became overwhelmed by the crowd and stood motionless in a competition ring. With the repeated reminders by his coach, he completed the routine and wasn’t placed among the top three spots. Seeing him burst into tears, I rushed over to praise him for his effort and let him know that he would still receive a medal — all first-time competitors were rewarded with a participation medal.

One inspiring competitor was a soon-to-be 63-year-young lady who had suffered from severe pain in her neck, shoulder, and lower back at the age of 50 due to a sedentary lifestyle working for a computer company. Despite seeking medical assistance from both Eastern and Western doctors, nothing helped until she discovered Kung Fu. She now wears several medals around her neck as a tribute to her incredible perseverance.

The tournaments featured a wide range of categories. Aside from the Korean Taekwondo, the Chinese categories included the WildAid Tiger Claw Championship to raise the awareness of the endangerment of tigers in the wild, International Wushu Sanshou Dao (IWSD) Overall Grand Championship , Traditional Kung, Shaolin Temple Kung Fu, Modern Wushu, and Tai Chi & Internal Style martial arts. Despite the record-breaking number of attendees, the tournaments were run efficiently as a well-oiled machine. Organizer Gigi Oh noted that the official deadline for competition registration was April 12, but the tournament had already reached full capacity and more people were eager to join.

In the Shaolin Temple Kung Fu category, there were five champions representing each division who competed for the Grand Championship. According to the rules, the top score and the bottom score were eliminated to avoid bias, and only the three middle scores were used to calculate. At the end of the competition, they all scored an impressive 9.94 at a scale of 1 to 10. Since all five competitors also had the same top score, the winner was determined by the highest bottom score. In the end, Kyle Wong in his late 20s brought home the Grand trophy that night, earning a well-deserved victory.

In addition to organizing multiple tournaments, the event coordinators also put on various captivating programs aimed at entertaining and educating attendees on the richness and diversity of martial arts. One such program was a mesmerizing Kung Fu exhibition held on the Friday night prior to the tournaments. The showcase featured three Bay Area Kung Fu schools, which are Shaolin Warrior Martial Arts, founded by Master Zhao Hai Chuan in San Jose, Kung Fu Dragon USA founded by Master Yu Zhen Long in Pleasanton & San Ramon, and Shaolin Temple USA founded by the Shaolin Temple Abbot Shi Yongxin and managed by Shaolin Warrior Shi Yan Ran in San Francisco. During the exhibition, around 60 young Kung Fu practitioners from the three schools, aged between 5 and their early 20s, displayed their impressive martial skills and exciting formations.

Afterwards, ten Shaolin Warriors from the original Shaolin Temple in Henan, China presented 14 different types of Shaolin Kung Fu and Qigong. They started with 8 Silk Brocade, then seven traditional Shaolin Fist forms (Cannon, Ditang Plum Blossom, Big Arhat, Small Cannon, Plum Blossom Mantis, Taizu, and Sever Star), a special Qigong practice of Two Finger Stand, trio drunken set (fist, sword and staff), a hard style Qigong maneuvering to break steel bars on head, Shaolin Animal Fists to mimic Tiger, Scorpion, Snake, Dog, Leopard, Toad and Praying Mantis, Wooden Fish & Zen Qigong or Tong Zi Gong, a hard style Qigong feat of Iron Throat breaking spears, seven traditional Shaolin weapon exercises (Thirteen Spear, Bodhidharma Staff, Eyebrow-height Staff, Plum Blossom Broadsword, King Kinnara Staff, Spring and Autumn Broadsword, and Bodhidharma Straight Sword), another hard style Qigong feat of Five Spears Chest Stabbing, Cotton Fist, Qigong Breaking Staffs showing the power of Qigong, Iron Crotch (a high-level hard Qigong regimen), and ended with the big match of Shepherd’s Whip, Pudao, Three Section Staff, Double Spears, Double Broadswords, and Nine Section Whip. The display of various techniques and weapons was stunning and overwhelming to witness.

Shaolin Kung Fu is famous for its diversity and richness. It has so many fist types, animal forms, and weapon forms. However, it is essential to note that many of these practices can be hazardous to a practitioner who has not undergone proper training or practiced diligently daily for years. Most of the Shaolin Warriors are 18 or 19 years old and began their training at a young age, similar to Olympic gymnasts who peak in their athleticism in their late teen years.

On Saturday night, a group of masters, namely Shou-Yu Liang, Ren Guang-Yi, Helen Liang, and Chen-Hang Yang, performed several internal martial art forms including Xiao-Yao Gong, Chen Style Tai Chi Single Broadsword, Baguazhang, and Chen Style New Frame, alongside tournament champions.

The following day, Sunday morning saw the celebration of Kung Fu Tai Chi Day, which commenced with a serene and peaceful performance of Tai Chi 24 by 300 Tai Chi practitioners, led by world junior championships in Tai Chi, Judy Liu in 2018 and Presilla Zou in 2022. The ambiance of the performance was soothing and calming. Later on, the competition resumed with various divisions, such as Internal divisions, WildAid Tiger Claw Championship, Heavy Guandao Championship, and IWSD Grand Champion.

Addition to the contestants, there were 350 volunteers to serve as judges, score keepers, timers, runners, and infrastructure set-uppers. As a martial arts enthusiast, I was thrilled to see the community coming together once again. It was a massive win for everyone involved, and a testament to the resilience and determination of the martial arts community.

Disclaimer: I was invited to judge for the tournaments.
    I'm glad that Violet posted a pic where I kinda look like I know what I'm doing (I didn't - I was just following along)
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

More photos

See our new Facebook album - Legend of Shaolin Warriors - photos by SK

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Some news

Tiger Claw Elite Tournament Returns After Four-Year Hiatus, Draws Impressive Lineup of Martial Arts Teams

Harry Wright
    May 15, 2023

Renowned film director and showrunner Victor Migalchan has recently captivated social media with his intriguing posts about the Tiger Claw Elite Tournament, which took place last May 6 and 7 in San Jose, CA. Migalchan’s stories included fascinating martial arts performances and an exhilarating twist dance with Michael “The Little Dragon” Vuong, a finalist in the Life Academy TV Show. As a part of the tournament’s organization team, Victor Migalchan’s involvement added an exciting dimension to this extraordinary martial arts competition. The media took notice and sat down with Victor Migalchan to learn more about this prestigious martial arts event.

The annual Tiger Claw Elite tournament witnessed its triumphant return after a four-year hiatus due to the pandemic. The tournament, organized by the esteemed founders Gigi Oh and Jonny Oh, along with the legendary masters and grandmasters of Tiger Claw Team, drew an impressive lineup of teams from different states and abroad. The atmosphere was charged with positivity, healing energy, and a sense of community that had been sorely missed during the forced break.

This year, Victor Migalchan transitioned from a competitor and judge to a member of the organization team for the esteemed tournament. “I was very happy to be able to bring my experience, resources and value to the team and community. We arranged filming and interviews to bring more publicity and expand the horizons of the tournament,” shared Victor Migalchan. Alongside his responsibilities of orchestrating the event’s filming and conducting interviews, he leveraged social media to share stories about the competitors, guests and masters and their journey in the competition. Michael Vuong, known by his moniker, “The Little Dragon,” Vuong exhibited an unwavering drive and devotion to excel in martial arts. Fueled by his recent success in Canada, he tackled the Tiger Claw Elite challenge head-on, leaving a lasting impression on both Migalchan and the audience.

Reflecting on the tournament, Migalchan remarked, “We all missed this community gathering, the energy of which is pure and uplifting. Believe me or not, when I attend Tiger Claw, I never feel hungry or thirsty. I saw lots of happy eyes of the athletes, their parents and friends.”

Among the most memorable moments of the tournament were the awe-inspiring demonstrations by the masters and grandmasters, which Migalchan described as “magical.” Noteworthy performances by athletes such as Julia Zhou and Allison Chew added to the excitement and showcased their power, enthusiasm, and happiness. When asked about the twist dance, Victor said that “It was the first time for Michael “The Little Dragon” to compete at Tiger Claw and face high-class competitors. Twist, which we know from Q. Tarantino’s Pulp Fiction, helped to take away stress, anxiety and simply warm up.”

The impact of the Tiger Claw Elite tournament on the martial arts community cannot be overstated. Despite having to close registrations early due to overwhelming interest, the event’s success demonstrated the resilience of schools and the passion of athletes eager to reconnect and showcase their skills. The tournament served as a catalyst for recovery and rejuvenation within the martial arts community, fostering camaraderie and inspiring athletes to aim for new heights.

With the Tiger Claw Elite tournament firmly establishing itself as a cornerstone of the martial arts calendar, the anticipation for Tiger Claw 2024 is already being built. The martial arts community eagerly awaits the return of this remarkable event, where unity, talent, and a shared passion for martial arts will once again converge.

Opinions expressed by San Francisco contributors are their own.

Harry Wright
    As a gifted entertainment writer, Harry has a unique ability to capture the essence of the industry's latest developments in engaging and thought-provoking articles. He stays on top of the latest box office hits and album releases and brings his own unique voice to each piece. His articles are sure to delight and inspire readers, while also providing valuable insights into the world of entertainment.
    Bad Ass Bunny couldn't be at TCEC this year, so Victor of Movieverse Entertainment did the video, which we hope to see soon.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

More pix

See our new Facebook album - TCKFMC 2023, Photos by Marc Arsenault

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Our latest ezine offering

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

The FoMO was real

I admit it, even though I was committed to an excellent getaway, I kinda missed the mayhem. That's why I took a little trip to the archives to share the procress behind designing those epic medal!

Check it out . . .
    Name:  IMG_0614-scaled.jpg
Views: 159
Size:  91.6 KB
    TIGER MEDAL
    PLUGO (formerly Design Sifu) author, illustrator, comic creator:@PLUGO on Twitter | @PLUGOarts on Instagram - but all the good stuff is on PLUGOarts.com

Funny you should mention this, PLUGO

I was by Tiger Claw yesterday for a quick post-mortem on TCEC. Everyone liked the new 2023 medal, but Gigi felt that your tiger medal was her favorite.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

More pix...

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Even more pix...

Gene Ching