Thread: RIP Jason David Frank (Green & White Power Ranger)

RIP Jason David Frank (Green & White Power Ranger)

'POWER RANGERS' JASON DAVID FRANK DEAD BY SUICIDE AT 49

EXCLUSIVE
    11/20/2022 8:57 AM PT

Everett Collection

Jason David Frank -- one of the original "Power Rangers" -- has died ... TMZ has learned.

Jason died in Texas, according to his rep Justine Hunt.

Sources with direct knowledge tell us his death was the result of suicide.

JDF is best known as Tommy Oliver from the original run of the "Mighty Morphin Power Rangers" franchise, dating back to the kids series' debut in 1993 ... when he was introduced as one of six crime/monster-fighting superheroes, masked head to toe with kung-fu skills.

Fans will remember ... he started out as the Green Ranger in Season 1, introduced at first as an enemy of the Power Rangers -- only to do a 180 and become good. After his powers start to deteriorate, however, he's turned into the White Ranger ... and tapped as the new leader of the group. Frank starred as one of the leads for 3 seasons, totaling 123 episodes.

Frank went on to reprise his role as Tommy in several adaptions of 'Power Rangers' -- including 'Wild Force,' 'Turbo,' 'Zeo,' 'Dino Thunder,' 'Megaforce,' 'Ninja Steel,' 'HyperForce,' and more. He's been a Red Ranger, a Black Ranger and a Green Ranger anew. JDF is a fan favorite Power Ranger ... which is why he's returned to the franchise time and again.

His onscreen fighting abilities translated into the real world ... Frank was a professionally trained MMA brawler, who was well-versed in everything from Taekwondo, Muay Thai, Judo, Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu and others. He fought professionally for a time from 2008 to 2010.

He's survived by his four children.

Jason's rep Justine tells TMZ ... "Please respect the privacy of his family and friends during this horrible time as we come to terms with the loss of such a wonderful human being. He loved his family, friends and fans very much. He will truly be missed."

Frank was 49.

RIP

If you or someone you know is thinking of suicide, please call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 988.
    RIP Jason David Frank (Green & White Power Ranger)
    Mighty-Morphin-Power-Ranger-news
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

demons...

Jason David Frank's Wife Reveals 'Power Rangers' Star Died by Suicide: 'He Was Not Without His Demons'
    Tammie Frank tells PEOPLE she is speaking about his death on behalf of their family in hopes of helping others with mental health struggles: "He was human, just like the rest of us"

By Glenn Garner and Joelle Goldstein Published on November 30, 2022 05:06 PM

Jason David Frank's wife is speaking out about his death, which she confirms was a result of suicide.

The Power Rangers alum was 49 when his death was confirmed on Nov. 20. Though no cause of death was provided at the time, Jason's wife, Tammie Frank, believes multiple media outlets prematurely reported that the actor died by suicide and made incorrect assumptions about her and their relationship status.

Now, Tammie is speaking exclusively with PEOPLE on behalf of their family in hopes of setting the record straight about Jason's final night and helping others with similar mental health struggles.

"My name is Tammie Frank, and my husband was Jason David Frank, who tragically lost his life to suicide just last week," she says. "While Jason was a well-known name to some, we lived a very normal life with ups and downs, just like anyone else. It has shocked and saddened me beyond belief to see that the media has turned my family's tragedy into a tall tale. Since Jason's death, I have been harassed online and can no longer stand to watch my husband's good name slandered."

Jason David Frank. AMANDA EDWARDS/GETTY
    "I loved my husband, and we were trying to work through our problems. His death comes as much a shock to me as anyone else," she continues. "The truth is, I had no idea that Jason was thinking of ending things. Yes, he had struggled with mental health issues and depression before, but I could never predict what would happen that night."

She adds, "It was meant to be a fun weekend getaway, and instead, I lost the love of my life. Jason was a good man, but he was not without his demons. He was human, just like the rest of us."

Jason David Frank and wife Tammie Frank. TAMMIE FRANK/INSTAGRAM
    Jason David Frank, Original Power Rangers Star, Dead at 49: 'A Wonderful Human Being'
    Continuing her statement, Tammie recalls what happened on the evening on Nov. 19, shortly after "reconciling our relationship."

"We initially planned to separate; that part is true. However, that is only part of the story. The part that hasn't been told is that at the time of his passing, we had called off our separation and were in the process of reuniting," she notes. "Don't get me wrong, we had ups and downs and many troubles during our 19-year marriage, but this was an especially hard year for us."

"A year ago, my daughter Shayla, whom Jason helped me raise as his own, suddenly passed away. Jason had been the one to find her when it happened, and the situation wrecked our family emotionally," she shares. "Between losing her and helping raise her baby son, Jason and I started having marital issues. For anyone who has known the pain of losing a child, I know you understand how such a loss changes things in your marriage."

Tammie says she and Jason decided to separate at that time, "not knowing what else to do." However, about six weeks ago, they decided to rekindle their romance after a close family friend "helped us realize that we still loved each other and we should not give up just yet."

Still, the pair knew they "needed to take it slow and work out any issues." As part of their plan to reconnect, Jason planned a two-night getaway, in which the two attended a country dancing event — something Tammie says Jason knew she loved to do.

GILBERT CARRASQUILLO/GETTY IMAGES
    Power Rangers Alum Amy Jo Johnson Breaks Down in Tears as She Mourns Death of Jason David Frank
    Despite being there together, Tammie notes they got two hotel rooms for the getaway "because that's just how we do things — simply put, my husband snored."

She also admits they received a noise complaint from hotel guests that night, but clarifies it was due to "us enjoying the weekend and having some fun - not arguing or fighting."

"We danced and stayed out at the event until the bar closed. When we got back to the hotel, Jason and I were having a heartfelt and emotional talk in his room," she recalls. "To help Jason relax and sober up before turning down to sleep, I went downstairs to get us snacks from the lobby. I must've been gone no more than 10 minutes. I went back upstairs and began knocking on the door to no answer. I knocked repeatedly and kept calling for his name to open the door."

"I don't know if the hotel staff or a guest called the police, but after I was taken downstairs by the police, they were able to open the door and found that Jason took his life," she continues. "These were the 'disturbances' that has been brought up numerous times online."

Concluding her statement, Tammie asks that people "stop making assumptions and leave my family to grieve peacefully."

"All we want is to remember Jason and our happiest memories, and move on from the pain of losing a loved one. I only ask for sympathy and understanding during this difficult time," she says. "To all the fans and supporters of Jason and our family, thank you for your kind words and wishes and God bless you all."

Jason David Frank and wife Tammie Frank. TAMMIE FRANK/INSTAGRAM
    When news of Jason's death broke on Nov. 20, a rep for the actor confirmed the tragedy in a statement to PEOPLE.

"Unfortunately, it is true. Please respect the privacy of his family and friends during this horrible time as we come to terms with the loss of such a wonderful human being," the statement read. "He loved his family, friends and fans very much. He will be truly missed."

Never miss a story — sign up for PEOPLE's free daily newsletter to stay up-to-date on the best of what PEOPLE has to offer, from juicy celebrity news to compelling human interest stories.

The actor and mixed martial artist was most beloved for his role as Tommy Oliver (a.k.a. the Green/White Ranger) from the original Mighty Morphin Power Rangers show, which ran from 1993 to 1995, as well as the 1995 movie adaptation.

Jason reprised the role in many other projects in the franchise over the years, including Power Rangers Zeo (1996), Power Rangers Turbo (1997) and Dino Thunder (2004). He even made a cameo alongside costar Amy Jo Johnson (Kimberly Hart, a.k.a. Pink Ranger) in the 2017 reboot.

His other credits included the 1990s teen soap Sweet Valley High and episodes of Family Matters and We Bare Bears. His upcoming projects included Underdogs Rising and Legend of the White Dragon, according to his IMDb.

In addition to Tammie, Jason is survived by his four children — sons Hunter and Jacob, as well as daughters Skye and Jenna.

If you or someone you know is considering suicide, please contact the 988 Suicide and Crisis Lifeline by dialing 988, text "STRENGTH" to the Crisis Text Line at 741741 or go to 988lifeline.org.
    Heartbreaking...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Did I miss where it tells us the release date?

Late ‘Powers Rangers’ Star Jason David Frank’s Final Film ‘Legend Of The White Dragon’ Sets Fall Release
    By Matt Grobar
    Matt Grobar
    Film Reporter

March 16, 2023 10:26am

Jason David Frank on the set of 'Legend of the White Dragon'
    Bat in the Sun Productions

Pic’s release will coincide with what would have been the 50th birthday of the actor and martial artist, who tragically died of suicide in November 2022, aged 49. Scott Kennedy’s Falling Forward Films will release it exclusively in theaters across the top 25 markets this fall.

The fantastical actioner directed by Aaron Schoenke and Sean Schoenke follows Erik Reed aka the White Dragon (Frank), who after being a fugitive on the run for three years, has returned to the city he fought to protect. He must now clear his name and save the family he keeps in secret before the mysterious Dragon Prime (Aaron Schoenke) unleashes his own revenge.

Frank produced the pic alongside the Schoenkes and and Christopher Jay, with Mark Dacascos, King Bach, Michael Madsen, David Ramsey, Jason Faunt, Rachel Brooke Smith, Ciara Hanna, Kevin Porter, Mayling Ng, Cerina Vincent and Frank’s daughter, Jenna Rae Frank, rounding out the cast.

Frank was best known for playing the Power Rangers franchise’s Tommy Oliver, across numerous film and television projects, for over 25 years, beginning in 1994. (Read our obituary here.) When he took his own life late last year, it became the filmmakers’ mission to honor his legacy by completing his passion project the way he envisioned it.

“We are proud to have worked with such a talented actor, and we are grateful for the opportunity to share his final performance with the world,” Aaron Schoenke told Deadline. “Having been on this journey with Jason for 10 years, I know he would be beyond excited to know that LEGEND OF THE WHITE DRAGON will be opening in theaters.”

Sean Schoenke added that “despite the tremendous loss, the production team has worked tirelessly to complete the film and ensure that it meets the high standards that Jason set for himself. The result is a powerful and moving tribute to his talent and dedication.”

“We are honored to be helping to bring the last film of such a talented artist to worldwide audiences,” added Falling Forward Films’ Kennedy. “We hope that fans of Jason David Frank will love to see the collaboration of so many celebrated actors together in LEGEND OF THE WHITE DRAGON.”

If you are having thoughts of suicide, call or text 988 to reach the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline or go to SpeakingOfSuicide.com/resources for a list of additional resources.
    RIP-Jason-David-Frank-(Green-amp-White-Power-Ranger)
    Legend-of-the-White-Dragon
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips