Thread: RIP Richard Ng

RIP Richard Ng

HK actor Richard Ng has passed away at 83, Hong Kong media reports
    ENTERTAINMENT
    Monday, 10 Apr 2023

2:14 PM MYT

Hong Kong actor Richard Yiu Hon, best known for the 'Five Lucky Stars' franchise and other comedic roles in the 1980s and 1990s, has reportedly passed away. He was 83.

Veteran Hong Kong actor Richard Yiu Hon, best known for the Five Lucky Stars franchise and other comedic roles in the 1980s and 1990s, has reportedly passed away. He was 83.

Hong Kong news agency HongKong01 reported that his family members received a notification yesterday (April 9) from his doctors to come to the hospital to say their last goodbyes, as he might not survive long.

Ng's heart had reportedly stopped and the actor was being kept alive by life-support equipment, with the doctors eventually confirming his passing with the signing of a death certificate.

According to China Press, the actor has suffered from many ailments due to his age.

In an interview two years ago, Ng revealed that apart from hearing loss, he was suffering from a chronic kidney disease too.

As reported in Mingpao, the actor had to undergo dialysis as treatment since a kidney transplant would be too risky for his age.

“I will be doing dialysis four times a day, every day for an hour. Currently, both of my kidneys are functioning at 10%,” he said at that time, adding that he could only do six hours of work at most.

Ng, also known as Richard Woo, has appeared in over 80 films since making his debut in the 1976 Michael Hui comedy film, The Private Eyes.

He earned recognition for his performance in Winners And Sinners (1983) and was nominated for Best Actor at the Hong Kong Film Awards for his role in that movie.

He had worked alongside some of the biggest names in Hong Kong action cinema too, including Tan Sri Michelle Yeoh, Jackie Chan, Andy Lau and Jet Li.

He also starred opposite Angelina Jolie in the 2003 movie, Lara Croft Tomb Raider: The Cradle Of Life.

Ng received his education in London, England and was married to British hairdresser Susan – who worked as a hair stylist for martial arts star Bruce Lee in the 1970s.

The couple share four children – live event producer Alex, professional dancer Zoe, photographer Louise and actor Carl.
    Sad to hear. He gave me plenty of good laughs over the years...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

R.I.P. His roles always gave me a good laugh since childhood.