Thread: The Brothers Sun

The Brothers Sun

The Brothers Sun release updates, cast, synopsis, and everything we know
    by Crystal George 1 day ago

Michelle Yeoh is set to return to Netflix with a new series titled The Brothers Sun, and we’ve created a guide to keep track of all the important details announced and released about it.

The Brothers Sun is an upcoming dark comedy series from Glee and American Horror Story co-creator Brad Falchuk and Byron Wu. Falchuk also served as showrunner and executive producer while Wu executive produced and wrote some of the scripts. Additionally, The Book of Boba Fett director Kevin Tancharoen helmed the series along with The Midnight Club director Viet Nguyen.

You might want to bookmark this page because we’ll be constantly updating this space with new information as it’s released.

Here’s everything else you need to know about The Brothers Sun below.

When was The Brothers Sun filmed?
    The dark comedy was reportedly filmed from June 15, 2022 to Sept. 23, 2022. Production took place in Taipei, Taiwan, and Los Angeles, California.

When is The Brothers Sun coming to Netflix?
    Unfortunately, we still do not have an official release date. When Netflix released its list of upcoming action movies and series, the streamer only revealed that the dark comedy will be “coming soon.” We don’t even have a confirmed release year, so it might not come out in 2023.

However, we believe it will be released by the end of the year since it’s already been filmed and the episodes have been in post-production for quite some time now. We’re probably looking at a summer or fall 2023 release, but nothing has been announced. You can definitely count on us to share the release date once Netflix announces it.

Who’s in The Brothers Sun cast?
    Justin Chien stars in the leading role as Charles Sun, a ruthless gangster who heads to Los Angeles to protect his mother and younger brother after his father is shot by a mysterious assassin. He’s known for his roles in Pool Boy and Two Sides: Unfaithful.

As mentioned above, Michelle Yeoh also stars in the series. She plays Eileen, Charles’s mother who left her past behind in Taiwan to start a new life in California with her youngest son, Bruce. You might’ve watched Yeoh in the Netflix shows The Witcher: Blood Origin and Marco Polo. She also had roles in the Netflix films The School for Good and Evil, Gunpowder Milkshake and Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon: Sword of Destiny.

Sam Song Li plays the role of Bruce Sun, Charles’s naive younger brother. You might recognize him from his previous roles in Home Economics, Better Call Saul and Take the Night.

Here’s the cast list below:
    Michelle Yeoh as Eileen/Mama Sun
    Justin Chien as Charles Sun
    Sam Song Li as Bruce Sun
    Highdee Kuan as Alexis
    Joon Lee as TK
    Jon Xue Zhang as Blood Boots
    Jenny Yang as Xing
    Madison Hu as Grace
    Rodney To as Mark
    Maite Garcia as Professor Edner
    Alice Hewkin
    The Brothers Sun synopsis: What is The Brothers Sun about?
    Here’s what the dark comedy is about via Netflix:

When the head of a powerful Taiwanese triad is shot by a mysterious assassin, his eldest son, legendary killer Charles “Chairleg” Sun (Justin Chien) heads to Los Angeles to protect his mother, Eileen (Michelle Yeoh), and his naive younger brother, Bruce (Sam Song Li) — who’s been completely sheltered from the truth of his family until now. But as Taipei’s deadliest societies and a new rising faction go head-to-head for dominance, Charles, Bruce and their mother must heal the wounds caused by their separation and figure out what brotherhood and family truly mean before one of their countless enemies kills them all.

How many episodes are in The Brothers Sun?
    There is a total of eight episodes in the first season of the dark comedy. However, the episode runtimes are unknown at the moment. We’ll get back to you when this information is revealed.

The Brothers Sun age rating
    It is rated TV-MA, meaning it’s meant to be watched by mature, adult audiences only. It was given this age rating for strong language, smoking, and graphic violence. Overall, it may be unsuitable for children under the age of 17 to watch.

The Brothers Sun photos
    Check out these official production stills from the upcoming show!

More from Michelle. She's on fire!
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Yakuza v Tong

How the yakuza's attack against director Juzo Itami inspired Michelle Yeoh's new dramedy “The Brothers Sun”

Jessica Wang
    Fri, December 22, 2023 at 7:00 AM PST·5 min read

The Oscar winner and series creators Byron Wu and Brad Falchuk preview Netflix’s "The Brothers Sun."

On a Friday evening in May 1992, acclaimed Japanese director Juzo Itami, known for comedies Tampopo and A Taxing Woman, returned to his home in Tokyo not too long after the release of his latest film — Minbo, a satire about the yakuza — when he was brutally assaulted by three assailants. The filmmaker, then 59, suffered slash wounds on his face and shoulders and had to be rushed to the hospital for emergency surgery.

Police believed the perpetrators were the yakuza, who were irked by Itami’s portrayal of them as witless bullies outsmarted by a cunning attorney (played by Itami’s actress wife Nobuko Miyamoto, who starred in all of his films) in Minbo. Itami, miraculously so, made a full recovery. The vicious incident laid the foundation for Netflix’s upcoming action dramedy The Brothers Sun, led by Academy Award winner and all-around badass Michelle Yeoh.

“It was funny how these gangsters were so insecure about their jobs that they felt the need to threaten a comedy director,” series co-creator Byron Wu, also a writer and executive producer on the series, tells EW. “Asian American male masculinity and insecurity was a thing I was thinking about at the time.”

Netflix
    Michelle Yeoh and Sam Song Li in 'The Brothers Sun'

That led to the creation of characters Bruce Sun (played by a fantastic Sam Song Li) and his ditzy pal TK (Joon Lee), and, as Wu puts it, “the rest of the show grew out of that.”

The eight-episode series (out Jan. 4) follows the trials of Charles Sun (Justin Chien), the eldest son of a powerful Taiwanese gangster who’s settled into the life that his father has always wanted for him. When the patriarch is shot by a mysterious assassin, Charles travels from Taipei to Los Angeles to protect his mother Eileen (Yeoh) and younger brother Bruce (Li), the latter of whom is oblivious to his family's ties to the criminal underworld.

A rising faction emerges to challenge the influential Suns, prompting Charles, Eileen, and Bruce to come together to eradicate the threat. They must also heal the wounds caused by their separation — what's a family drama without some baggage? — and figure out their best path forward. “It's very much about what it means to be sons,” co-creator Brad Falchuk, also a writer and EP, says. “This idea of how hard it is to be sons, how hard it is to raise sons, how hard it is to keep a family together.”

Netflix
    Joon Lee, Sam Song Li, Michelle Yeoh, and Justin Chien in 'The Brothers Sun'

A frequent Ryan Murphy collaborator behind such hits as American Horror Story and Pose, Falchuk says he was captivated by Wu’s complicated portrait of an Asian American family. “I don't know a lot about that, and it's not something we see a lot on TV,” Falchuk says. “My goal with every project is to explore some world I'm not familiar with and expose some new world to an audience.” But there's always a common thread: “There’s a lot of heart.”

The dramedy, which employed an all-Asian writers room (plus Falchuk), predominantly takes place in L.A.’s San Gabriel Valley, a region home to a sprawling Asian demographic and notorious for its bustling food scene. Between shots of sunny yellow egg tarts and vibrant leafy greens dropped into simmering pots of spicy soup, the food “became a character very naturally,” Wu says. “We wanted to show off the foods that we love.” (PSA: chili-dusted instant ramen might be effective for self-defense in times of danger.)

It was the cultural specificities that drew Yeoh, who recently dazzled audiences as a no-nonsense matriarch in the acclaimed Everything Everywhere All At Once, to the project. “I saw the story that they were trying to tell, where the narrative comes from our people, from our part of the world, the dark part of the world, but it is told with such humor,” she tells EW. “It was exciting, it was crazy, but the crux of the [story is] a mother and the love for her sons.”

Michael Desmond/Netflix
    Justin Chien in 'The Brothers Sun'

Eileen undergoes her own journey that’s central to the story — one that “a lot of Asian immigrants, or any immigrant, can relate to,” Yeoh offers. “You had to leave your past behind for whatever reason and move to a new place, sometimes not knowing the language, not knowing anybody. That takes a lot of courage and determination. I'm happy I had the opportunity to show the lives of so many immigrant families that take that brave step — to show that it's not easy."

And of course, it wouldn’t be a Yeoh project without fight sequences. Do the stunts come second nature to the seasoned martial arts icon by now? “I am always trying to learn new things and hope that because I've had some experience, I am able to push it a little bit more," Yeoh says. But action sequences and mouthwatering food shots aside, the core of the story, Wu says, is a family "wrestling with their past, but moving forward into their future."

From his hospital bed recuperating from the attack, Itami had issued a defiant statement to the yakuza: “I'll not be discouraged." It's a sentiment that certainly rings true for the fictional Suns and countless other immigrant families forging their own paths.

The Brothers Sun debuts Jan. 4 on Netflix.
    Looking forward to this.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

0:02 / 2:32 The Brothers Sun | Official Trailer | Netflix

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

First forum review

With a nice opening fight against masked tong ninjas, this show had me at hello. I’m 3 eps deep and that’s after watching two episodes of other shows. Twas a binging night last night. ’m tempted to watch more.

You get the gist from the trailer. Michelle is a tiny boss’s wife who went into hiding in LA, keeping their crime family past hidden from her younger son. But the tong is attacked forcing the elder son to come from Taiwan to protect them. It’s got solid choreography and good action pacing, black comedy, and nods to the Amerasian experience (because we are all in tongs, ya know). There’s a good eye for detail - for example, there’s a passing mention of Michelle and the gold basin, which is a reference of a specific ritual where someone leaves the martial world and washes their hands in a gold basin to symbolize washing off all the blood.

In the first ep, Bryan Cartago, plays a thug in orange. It’s a small part, a line and getting hit a few times, but it was cool to see him. He’s been doing stunt work for years now buti remember him when he was a young wushu champ.

Michelle is killing it like always. She imbues the matron role with humor and gravitas, a passive aggressive tiger mom. She hasn’t fought yet. There was a tease scene but I suspect they’re saving that for later. Most of the heavy lifting fights are coming from Charles, the elder son. Some fun fights. I enjoyed the birthday party fight a lot. Overseeing choreo is Justin Yu, a former wushu champ who I know of but cannot recall if we ever met (if we did, we didn’t talk much).

Aside from Michelle, most of the cast is unknowns. It’s well cast - everyone is fulfilling their roles satisfactorily. It like how the relationships are developing.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

First forum review continued

I really enjoyed this.

E6 is quite a payout ep. There’s a great fight at a golf driving range - arguably the best choreo piece so far with several complex single shots and swirling cinematography. There’s some of Michelle’s superb dramatic work, reminding us once again what a brilliant actor she is. There’s a twist (that I totally saw coming but it was well played). There’s even a funny interrogation scene that made me lol for realz. This show has really come together with what it seeks to achieve.

E7 lines up the finale like any decent penultimate. It also adds the martial club - the brothers Le - plus a Gymkata easter egg that no one can deny.

E8 A fine conclusion with decent closure, and an after credit scene that leaves enough ajar for a second season.

This show covers a lot - ultravi, comedy, drama, tong ruthlessness, well constructed characters, good story arcs - Luved it.

Would totally be down for S2.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Cancelled

‘The Brothers Sun’ Canceled by Netflix After One Season
    The series, which premiered in January, starred Michelle Yeoh, Justin Chien and Sam Song Li.

BY CARLY THOMAS

MARCH 1, 2024 7:52PM

(L-R) Sam Song Li as Bruce Sun, Michelle Yeoh as Mama Sun in 'The Brothers Sun' NETFLIX

The Brothers Sun, starring Michelle Yeoh, Justin Chien and Sam Song Li, will not be returning for a second season on Netflix, The Hollywood Reporter learned Friday.

While the reason for the cancellation wasn’t immediately known, the news comes months after the eight-episode first season of the action-comedy-drama premiered on Jan. 4. The show was created by Brad Falchuk and Byron Wu, and also included Joon Lee, Highdee Kuan, Alice Hewkin, Jenny Yang, Rodney To and Madison Hu in the cast.

Brothers Sun followed Charles Sun (Chien), a Taipei gangster who has settled into his life as a ruthless killer, but when his father is shot by a mysterious assassin, he must move to Los Angeles to protect his mother, Eileen ‘Mama’ Sun (Yeoh), and younger brother, Bruce Sun (Li).

While it had a solid opening on Nielsen’s streaming charts, the series took a notable leap forward in its second week, growing by 38 percent compared to its debut week. It also spent five weeks in Netflix’s Top 10 for English-language series, peaking at No. 2.

In her review, TV critic Angie Han, wrote the series “serves up plenty of violent action and dramatic twists — but that, above all, aim to deliver on a good time. And although the end result feels like something less than the sum of its parts, it still yields enough fun to make Byron Wu and Brad Falchuk‘s action-comedy-drama as bingeable as a tray of freshly baked cookies.”

Falchuk also served as the show’s showrunner and executive produced alongside Wu, Mikkel Bondesen and Kevin Tancharoen.
    Ah ****. I liked this show.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Heartbroken

Michelle Yeoh 'heartbroken' over cancellation of her drama 'The Brothers Sun'
    By ANNDREA A. WEBBER
    ENTERTAINMENT
    Wednesday, 06 Mar 2024

2:00 PM MYT

Oscar winner Michelle Yeoh has reacted to the news of her series getting axed. Photo: Handout

Tan Sri Michelle Yeoh is “heartbroken” over streaming giant Netflix's decision to axe her action comedy series, The Brothers Sun, after one season.

In an Instagram update today (March 6), the 61-year-old said: “Heartbroken... and finding it so hard to understand why... however, I am so very proud of my Brothers Sun family and what we presented to the world. Heads held high.”

The Oscar winner’s post was accompanied by several photos with her co-stars.

Created by Brad Falchuk and Byron Wu, The Brothers Sun tells the story of Charles Sun (Justin Chien), who must travel to Los Angeles to protect his mother Eileen (Yeoh) and younger brother Bruce (Sam Li) after his father – the head of a Taipei triad – is shot by an assassin.

The eight-episode series received rave reviews upon its premiere on Jan 4, with many critics praising Yeoh for her stellar performance as “Mama” Sun.

While the show spent five weeks in the Netflix Top 10 for English-language series, peaking at No. 2, it reportedly failed to attract a large audience.

According to American entertainment portal Deadline, its number of weekly viewers stayed below seven million and fell under two million for its last two weeks in the Top 10.

Despite its numbers, The Brothers Sun has its own group of devoted followers.

The decision to cancel the series has been met with ire from fans, who have taken to social media to express their disappointment and call for other networks to pick up the project.

Canadian poet and illustrator Rupi Kaur said the news was “disappointing”.

“It was the first show I watched this year because it was so much fun and I fell in love with the characters. It was so well done. Thank you Michelle + cast & crew,” she said.

Another fan added: “As an Asian American, it was amazing to see such a great cast in the Western media. Heartbroken to see it end.”

“I’m genuinely loving the show... hoping another service will pick it up,” said another.
    I'm heartbroken too. I really enjoyed this show.

Michelle-Yeoh
    The-Brothers-Sun
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    I'm heartbroken too. I really enjoyed this show.

Michelle-Yeoh
    The-Brothers-Sun
    That really sucks! I really liked the show as well.

Fingers crossed another streaming service picks it up.
    "God gave you a brain, and it annoys Him greatly when you choose not to use it."