Thread: Zuck v Musk

Hybrid View

the AI Insight Forum

STAY AWAY Elon Musk and Mark Zuckerberg separated at AI tech event as talks over $1bn super-fight heat up
    Anthony Wood
    Published: 11:35 ET, Sep 13 2023Updated: 6:06 ET, Sep 14 2023

MARK Zuckerberg and Elon Musk were sat separated at an AI tech event as talks over their proposed super fight continue.

Both Zuckerberg, 39, and Musk, 52, arrived at Capitol Hill in Washington on Wednesday to participate in the AI Insight Forum.

Elon Musk (pictured) arrived at Capitol Hill ahead of the AI Insight ForumCredit: AFP

Mar Zuckerberg (pictured) also made his way to the Senate hearingCredit: EPA

However, shots from inside the Senate hearing show the two tech giants seated at opposite ends of the panel.

The Meta Platforms co-founder Zuckerberg and Tesla co-founder Musk have been at odds in recent months.

This has led to a public spat between them, with the duo pushing for a cage fight to be organized by UFC boss Dana White.

However, talks over the proposed $1billion super fight have recently stalled, with Zuckerberg having called time on the proposal in August.

"Elon isn't serious and it's time to move on," wrote Zuckerberg on Threads, an app created as a rival to Musk's platform X, formerly known as Twitter.

And according to White, it doesn't look likely talks will reopen in the near future.

Speaking to Charly Arnolt on Outkick The Morning, he admitted: "I never say never, but probably not."

White was clearly disappointed that talks had collapsed, stating that it "would have been the biggest charity event ever held in history."

He claimed that 90-percent of the estimated $1billion that would have been made from the event would have gone to charities.

But despite this, avid MMA fan Zuckerberg isn't letting this get in the way of his martial arts journey.

White told TMZ in August that the Facebook co-founder is "very serious about competing" a UFC fighter.

He elaborated: "When [Zuckerberg] mentioned it, he said – listen, what he was saying in response to Elon was there are tons of professional organizations out there and this is the way this should be done, not in some backyard or whatever Elon was saying."

This was a dig at Musk's previous suggestion during an exchange on social media that he and Zuckerberg should practice in the latter's backyard octagon.

In fact, in August Musk tweeted that he had arrived at Zuckerberg's Palo Alto home.

"Knock, knock … challenge accepted … open the door," he wrote, adding: "Thought you might want some tea, so I brought the bags."

As for the actual fight, Musk had a grander location in mind - the Colosseum in Rome.

"Fight Recap: I joked on X about fighting Zuck," Musk tweeted.

"Zuck then said 'SEND ME LOCATION.' Italy graciously offered a Colosseum. Zuck declined."
    If only a fight did break out...if only...
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

It's all fun and games until someone tears their ACL...

Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg tore his ACL while training for a competitive MMA fight
    The Facebook co-founder revealed his injury Friday in an Instagram post in which he said he “tore my ACL sparring and just got out of surgery to replace it.”

Mark Zuckerberg at the Meta Connect event in Menlo Park, Calif., on Sept. 27.David Paul Morris / Bloomberg via Getty Images file

Nov. 4, 2023, 12:35 PM PDT / Source: CNBC.com
    By Jonathan Vanian, CNBC
    Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg just had surgery as a result of an injury to his ACL that occurred during mixed-martial arts training, according to CNBC.

The Facebook co-founder revealed his injury on Friday via an Instagram post in which he said that he “tore my ACL sparring and just got out of surgery to replace it.”

“I was training for a competitive MMA fight early next year, but now that’s delayed a bit,” Zuckerberg said. “Still looking forward to doing it after I recover.”

“Thanks to everyone for the love and support,” he added.

Zuckerberg included several photos of himself at an undisclosed hospital that shows the executive prior to his surgery and then after the procedure with his wife Priscilla Chan comforting him during his recovery, according to CNBC.

The Meta CEO has taken an interest in MMA and competitive fighting in recent years and has been training in a variety of martial arts, including Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu.

In May, he revealed in a Facebook post that competed in his first jiu-jitsu tournament in which he won a gold and silver medal.

Zuckerberg’s recent injury to his ACL comes after a brief verbal exchange between the Meta executive and Tesla chief Elon Musk who were floating a possible cage match.

The fight never took place, however, with Zuckerberg saying during the summer via a post on Threads that “we can all agree Elon isn’t serious and it’s time to move on.”

Zuckerberg said that while Ultimate Fighting Championship President Dana White offered to make the match between the two executives “a legit competition for charity,” Musk never confirmed a date.

“If Elon ever gets serious about a real date and official event, he knows how to reach me,” Zuckerberg said at the time. “Otherwise, time to move on. I’m going to focus on competing with people who take the sport seriously.”

Jonathan Vanian, CNBC
    Jonathan Vanian is a technology reporter for CNBC.com
    I was just at Meta...
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Meta warning

Published February 5, 2024 9:03pm EST
    Meta warns investors Mark Zuckerberg's MMA fighting could impact business

Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg's passion for mixed martial arts resulted in Elon Musk challenging him to a cage fight

By Eric Revell FOXBusiness

Facebook parent Meta warned investors in its latest annual report that its CEO’s passion for combat sports and other high-risk activities could harm its business if he were to be unavailable as a result of partaking in such activities.

In an annual report filed with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC), Meta noted that CEO Mark Zuckerberg practices combat sports, including mixed martial arts (MMA) and other activities that pose a high risk to his wellbeing that could impact the social media giant’s performance.

"We currently depend on the continued services and performance of our key personnel, including Mark Zuckerberg. Mr. Zuckerberg and certain other members of management participate in various high-risk activities, such as combat sports, extreme sports, and recreational aviation, which carry the risk of serious injury and death," the company said in the filing.

"If Mr. Zuckerberg were to become unavailable for any reason, there could be a material adverse impact on our operations," Meta continued in the report.

Meta warned investors that CEO Mark Zuckerberg's training in combat sports could impact the company's operations if he becomes unavailable for some reason. UFC president Dana White said last year that Zuckerberg and Musk were serious about their cage (Jeff Bottari/Zuffa LLC / Getty Images)

Zuckerberg has competed in Brazilian jiu-jitsu tournaments and was reportedly receiving training to receive his private pilot’s license in 2023. His passion for combat sports resulted in him being challenged to a cage fight by Elon Musk last year after Musk completed the acquisition of X, formerly Twitter, setting up what was to be a battle of billionaire social media tycoons.

Musk said in an X post in June 2023, "I’m up for a cage match if he is," which prompted Zuckerberg to screenshot a reply telling Musk to start his training and to "send me location." Musk proposed that the fight be held at a UFC facility in Las Vegas, Nevada, and UFC president Dana White said the two were "dead serious" about the fight at the time.

Musk said in August that while he had begun training for the fight, he had to get an MRI of his neck and upper back and may require surgery before a fight — though he later offered to drive to Zuckerberg’s house for a practice fight.

Elon Musk challenged Mark Zuckerberg to a cage fight last summer, though the two billionaires have yet to finalize plans for the fight. (Photo by Chesnot/Getty Images / Getty Images)

A week later, Zuckerberg said in a post on Meta’s Threads, a rival to X, that the billionaire brawl was unlikely to go ahead in the near future.

"I think we can all agree Elon isn’t serious and it’s time to move on. I offered a real date. Dana White offered to make this a legit competition for charity. Elon won’t confirm a date, then says he needs surgery, and now asks to do a practice round in my backyard instead," Zuckerberg wrote.

"If Elon ever gets serious about a real date and official event, he knows how to reach me. Otherwise, time to move. I’m going to focus on competing with people who take the sport seriously," he added.

Meta CEO Mark Zuckerberg underwent surgery in November 2023 for a torn ACL he injured during MMA training. (Getty Images / Getty Images)

Last fall, Musk left the door open to a future fight with Zuckerberg during an appearance on the Joe Rogan Experience podcast, saying he was willing to fight Zuckerberg "any time, anywhere, any place any rules."

When pressed by Rogan on his fitness and preparation, Musk said his cardio endurance "will not be a factor" and added that "Dana White thinks it would be a big ticket fight."

Zuckerberg suffered a knee injury during an MMA training session that required surgery in November 2023.

"Tore my ACL sparring and just got out of surgery to replace it," Zuckerberg wrote in an Instagram post. "Grateful for the doctors and team taking care of me."

"I was training for a competitive MMA fight early next year, but now that’s delayed a bit. Still looking forward to doing it after I recover. Thanks to everyone for the love and support," he added.

FOX Business’s Sarah Rumpf-Whitten contributed to this report.
    When your that rich, you don't have to care that your decision might affect thousands of people under you. You jusr do you.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips