Thread: help!~ what do mung beans look like? where to find?

help!~ what do mung beans look like? where to find?

HELP EVERYONE! i can't find where to buy Mung beans, i don't even know what they look like.
    if anyone knows the pinyin or wg spelling for them, can you please let me know?
    also, it sounds stupid haha but, does anyone have a photo of what mung beans look like? or can they take a digital one and email me at shiroi_tori@hotmail.com

i really don't wanna buy those winglam bags for 10X the price of the beans, cuz i already have a good sized bag to put them in, and my teachers told me to get some but i can't find them. when i asked the guy at a dried goods store in chinatown he just shook his head. what kinda store should i go to? a supermarket or what?
    thanks, byebye everyone.~!

Mung beans are incredibly tiny, about the size of a metal BB for a BB gun. They are green and sort of look like popcorn seeds. Just grab your phone book and look for oriental food markets. If they don't carry them, they don't deserve to be in business.

I went to this really big market near my house (took about 10-15 minute drive) and bought 6 bags for my wall bag. Each bag was about $0.75. It took at 6 bags too. These bags were pretty big, and they had A LOT of different choices. Not just one brand, but they were all beans.

If you go to a normal grocery store, don't go near the rice or bean stuff (at least at my store). But it is SUPER expensive. I saw them going for about $3 a bag, and these bags were the exact same size as the $0.75 bag.

Anyway, hope that helps.

Oh, and trust me, just go to an oriental market. The managers at the place near me, a normal grocery store, had no idea what the heck I was talking about and I found them about a month and a half later at the store by mistake. (After I got them cheaper at the oriental place).
    I have a signature.

yellow?

i thought they were yellow because a lot of people call mung beans Yellow beans?

Here is a picture

Taken with my web cam.
    I have a signature.

Mung beans are used in Indian/Pakistani food much more often than in Chinese food...so if you haven't found them yet, go to an Indian/Pakistani grocery store. And as already mentioned, if you happen to live where there's a co-op type store that sells things in bulk, that's definitely the way to do it.