Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Low or high stance ?

Originally posted by old jong
    It is not a matter of "how low should it be".It is a matter of "Is it effective in all circumstances?"
    It IS a matter of how low or high it should be. If you stick to one height for all situations, you'll make your Wing Chun very technique based, and very predictable.

Whippinghand

I dont really know on what you base your last starement but I can tell you that if I see someone bouncing up and down during chi sau or sparring,I'll just wait for the moment he goes up to drive him off his feet!

im not him but...

i think whippinghand is refferring to sinking and rising...am i correct?
    "True victory is giving all of yourself without regret"-Ryu (SF Alpha3)

"U don't wait -- if u feel it's going 2 go violent ... strike ... strike often ... strike till he drops ... can always apologize later if u were wrong."-Ginger Fist

old jong

I don't recall writing the word "bounce"... Is that what you read?

Whippinghand

Bouncing can be done at different speeds. I still think we should apply "the principles" of YGKYM at all times. Otherwise...We should migrate to the JKD forum!

Tyrrany of words and some miscommunication. Yes. (old jong)wc principles are super but the principles allow for and even call for "adjustment". I think WH was referring to adjustment rather than bouncing.

You could be right Yuanfen and I dont want to suffer from tyranny of words for sure! So, I will concede that I'm predictable in a sense. I punch the other guy everytimes!

On the ygkym there is no bouncing. The knees are springy. but
    you stand , sink, open, and pivot... all of it is basically "sinking" into the stand. Lots of folks from what I have seen bounce before the final pivot....a bad habit IMO.
    Where "rising" can take place is where one has lost the line
    and a third form motion gets you into position.

whippinghand

In form or application?

I've got a good question to ask.

What if you've got two guys who are the same height but one wears a size 7 shoe and the other a 13 - would the width of their stance still be the same if they both open their horse this way?
    Your journey ends at my feet.

*It takes effort to learn to do something without*

To all members who have read so far.

Sorry,this tread was good in the beginning but due to uncontrolable circumstances it took a bad turn.I dont feel like answering questions just to give flank to mysterious one line critics.
    There is a good place for that kind of discussions.
    There

ok, old jong

The question being: how do you open your stance? Well, I'll answer it for you, since you're having such difficulty with the question.

If you do it anything like your sifu does, you open the feet in 2 movements, and then you sink. What do you think the significance of that sink is? Let me put it another way.... why not sink first before going into the stance?

I notice that some of this rich conversation was deleted...It makes the thread a little hard to follow through. Why not delete all of it?...
    BTW. Whippinghand, You say you know my Si-Fu?...I don't hide my lineage like you do! you know how we do?...I'm not sure!
    Open up to the forum,say who you are and where you come from (Dont have to get intimate), stop acting so superior and I will consider having a constructive talk with you.
    I know you are not stupid by many of your posts.Why the need to play games like that?

Sorry old jong, I'm not insecure enough to hide my lineage, and I'm certainly not insecure enough to advertise it, in order to substantiate my points.

Your remark about game playing... wouldn't you say that's like the pot calling the kettle black?

And thank you for your offer of consideration. I shall consider and reflect upon the value of a "constructive talk with you".

O.K.