Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Elephant Style Kung Fu

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the info Troy. It makes me wonder, if Lau Bun kept it as such a sacred secret, that he only taught the exceptional students, why DFW taught it to this guy (who doesn't seem to have a background in CLF), and why this guy is openly teaching it to the public who have no real foundation in CLF?

For example, my Sifu would never just teach someone the Crane Form of our lineage. You really do need a solid background of CLF before you can do this form correctly.

Again, I'm just posing the question, no disrespect intended.

The 10 Elements of Choy Lay Fut:
    Kum, Na, Gwa, Sau, Chop, Pow, Kup, Biu, Ding, Jong

The 13 Principles of Taijiquan:
    Ward Off, Roll Back, Press, Push, Pluck, Elbow, Shoulder, Split, Forward, Back, Left, Right, Central Equilibrium

And it doesn't hurt to practice stuff from:
    Mounts, Guards, and Side Mounts!

Austin Kung-Fu Academy

Who's to say that elephant form Doc Fai Wong taught this guy is from the Lau Bun lineage. As Sifu Dunwood says its an advanced form and should not be taught lightly. Sifu DFW has gathered forms from many teachers such as Wong Gong, The elephant form might of came from there, and may be different from Lau Bun's version.
    A wise man knows, that to know is to know that to know is not to know

Quote Originally Posted by Infrazael
    Hmmmm. . . . .

So does Doc Fai Wong have any videos or books on this "Elephant" style???

It'll be cool, I'm always interested to learn new CLF forms (if nothing but to gain a few new good combos and attack patterns).
    The guy who wrote the article has one. It's listed in the left hand columb near the bottom.

I beleive that the elephant form that Doc Fai Wong teaches is from Wong Gong.

If anyone has seen it, do you think it's worth 50 bucks for a video? Or does it contain all the normal CLF techniques, just ordered differently?

$50 is alot of cash for 1 video.

I think I will ask my Sifu, Mak Hin Fai if he knows about the elephant style.

Oh well, at least we have Fu-Pao (Tiger-Leopard)

The Lee Koon Hung line does not have an elephant form. CLF has plenty of forms if you are missing some here and there it doesn't matter. Besides the majority of forms have repetitive sequences anyhow.

Some can be different for example our Crane Form or Hok Ying Kuen has a completely different flow and feel compared to the others.

I this form is also unique it might be worth checking out; however after looking at the pictures of the elephant postures on that website, would you really want to waste "cough" I mean spend the $50 bucks?

Peace.
    Last edited by CLFNole; 05-23-2005 at 02:25 PM.

Re: Elephant

I had the chance to view the photos of the person doing the Elephant, after seeing my Sifu show some of the actual skills as well as some si-suk's, that not Lau Bun's Elephant Set, if he's claiming to have gotten that from Doc Fai Wong, he got the wrong end of the stick, or maybe Doc showed him a B.S. version of the set or maybe the guy pieced it together from the article that Doc did on the set, but one thing I know for sure, thats not what I've seen before and I believe with my Si-Gung Prof. Jew Leong as Lau Bun's Successor and my Sifu Dino Salvatera as his successor, I think I can speak on this. Just my opinion, I could be wrong and if this is from Doc all I can say is WOW!!!!!!!
    May The Spirit Of Chinese Kung Fu Be With You!

After looking at those pictures again and then picking myself up off the floor I think the form is made up. To me it doesn't even resemble CLF. But then again there is always some nut out there with a flute on his back that will buy the video.

However as the saying goes..."You get what you pay for."

This guy is real haughty, and acts very 'sifu-ish' on the Shuai Chiao board - he didn't realize I'm his senior by a good stretch, and when I happily accepted his 'challenge' he backed down.

I don't know him. His own Shuai Chiao teacher strongly disagrees with him on many things.

I wouldn't waste my time with him.
    "Never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake."
    --- Napoleon

"MonkeySlap is a brutal b@stard." -- SevenStar
    "Forgive them Lord, they know not what MS2 can do." -- MasterKiller
    "You're not gonna win a debate (or a fight) with MST. Resistance is futile." - Seven Star

Better for me to just get back to class, and train with Sifu Mak.

BTW CLFNole, you have been keeping in touch with my Sihing Eric (you know him)???

I've emailed him a whole bunch of times and haven't gotten a reply yet.

Thanks alot

But when I checked my Kwoon out in march, my Sifu seemed pretty happy to see me. . . . . well, at least I'm trying to train the hell out of myself at home.

Thanks alot.
    Last edited by Infrazael; 05-24-2005 at 07:19 AM.

Elephant kungf fu is probably like white crane but the swinging movements are heavier.

Umm. . . . . . . ok. . . . .

Do you have any underlying knowledge of Choy Lay Fut? Just wondering.

"elephant" style KF is an ancient name/association to Eagle Claw through the Yue Fei legends.

The "elephant" talked about here referring to CLF is not that ...

Elephant kungf fu is probably like white crane but the swinging movements are heavier.
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

Cool

Hung Fut and Black Tiger both have Elephant forms within them as well as Elephant techniques. I don't know of a complete system based on Elephant , but both styles do contain sets.

jeff
    少林黑虎門
    Sil Lum Hak Fu Mun
    RIP Kuen "Fred" Woo (sifu)

Blog Entries
    There are 10 animals in CLF:

5 from Shaolin temple=

Snake
    Dragon
    Leopard
    Crane
    Tiger

5 unique to CLF=

Horse
    Monkey
    Lion
    Elephant
    Golden Deer

Choy Lay Fut seems to utilize Leopard and Crane the most.

Next would be the Tiger, Dragon, and Snake in that order.

I'm not sure if each animal has its own form, in the LKH family we have Tiger, Crane and Leopard forms. Not sure about Snake or Dragon. Although I have a book by Leo Chu that is supposedly the CLF Dragon form.

The other 5 animals are more obscure and the forms may have been lost to time. Apparently the Chan Family has retained many of these individual forms.

The horse form stresses footwork.
    The lion form stresses grappling and throws.
    The monkey form has rolls, sweeps and trips.
    The elephant form has all the heavy handed techniques.
    The "golden deer" or "Biu" utilizes thrusting strikes and kicks (Biu also means thrust in Cantonese)

The you also have 5 animal and 10 animal forms that combine them all together.

CLF is so big there is always more Tao Lu to learn.

Ciao