Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Elephant Style Kung Fu

Vasquez, and just where exactly do lion and DRAGON come from?
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Ben Gash
    Jesus, of course!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sean_stonehart
    "elephant" style KF is an ancient name/association to Eagle Claw through the Yue Fei legends.

The "elephant" talked about here referring to CLF is not that ...
    pretty much thats what i know about elephant style. yue fie learned some elephant style stuff and incorporated it into his system. and it eventually became what is now modern eagle claw.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psycho Mantis View Post
    Genes too busy rocking the gang and scarfing down bags of cheetos while beating it to nacho ninjettes and laughing at the ridiculous posts on the kfforum. In a horse stance of course.

Chinese have dragons for a long time. I think you mean tiger and not lion.

No, I meant lion and dragon, I'm highlighting the flaw in your logic.
    "The man who stands for nothing is likely to fall for anything"
    www.swindonkungfu.co.uk

No, I meant lion and dragon, I'm highlighting the flaw in your logic.
    Dragons have been in chinese mythology for such a long time that they are just as good as being real. But not lions.

At one time lions could be found in south west Asia. Also a visiting prince from asia once brought the emporor of china 2 lions as a rare and unique gift. When they died his court created the original lion dance to replace them. Lions have been part of Chinese culture for quite a while.

Quote Originally Posted by shuaichiao
    At one time lions could be found in south west Asia. Also a visiting prince from asia once brought the emporor of china 2 lions as a rare and unique gift. When they died his court created the original lion dance to replace them. Lions have been part of Chinese culture for quite a while.
    LOL you can't learn kung fu from 2 animals in a cage even by a serious maer !!!! Just goes to show, lions are a rarity than the norm.

I guess we can gather that the Elephant form that Doc Fai Wong teaches comes from the Wong Gong lineage. Does anyone know from what lineage his Drunken form (Jeui Bot Sin Kuen) comes from, the version that uses the pheonix eye fist strikes.

Does the Fut San branch even have a Drunken Form?
    A wise man knows, that to know is to know that to know is not to know

That set also comes from Wong Gong.

DFW's Elephant isn't Wong Gong. It's Lau Bun.
    Message: Due to the ongoing Recession, God has decided the light at the end of the tunnel will be shut off due to power costs. That is all.

Blog Entries

the elephant

Hi guys,

just thought i'd participate on this elephant form ya'll have been speaking on about.

From what i've heard is Wong, Doc Fai does have the elephant form, and it certainly does come from Professor Lau Bun, not Wong Gong. He published a magazine article about it featuring his son Jason Wong.

also, i've heard that it is a treasured form, closely guarded in the current Hung Sing Studio under Grand Master D. Salvatera. it is my understanding that Wong, Doc Fai may have only gotten a version or modified version of it. the real question here is what version did he get? who got the original? Was it his si-hing Jew Leong? or did Professor Lau Bun keep the original for himself and only give a modified version of it. He was known to alter a set or two to fit a specific individual.

However, i do own a copy of a dvd with Wong Doc Fai in his youth performing the elephant set, along with some clips of him performing the butterfly sword form which is much different than what he performed on that old Wah Lum tape he did.

But, don't be fooled there are many versions out there and all claim to have the original. who's to tell?

still, once again, it is real, dangerously effective almost demolishing in fact. however I do know that at the Hung Sing Studio one may never see it. i know a senior student there that it took 20 years just to get the essence of it. which lead me to wonder, is the importance focused solely on the form, or the techinque?

ending, that form is still signature to Professor Lau's legacy, much the way the late and great Lee Koon Hung's signature moves are to his.

Have a good day.

hskwarrior

Interesting Thanks for the info hskwarrior. And welcome to the forum
    A wise man knows, that to know is to know that to know is not to know

Blog Entries

chaz

hey, no prob bob!

happy to help.

You, once I came across a master of a filipino system and noticed that most of the techniques came from other systems. but when asked, the master adamantly states that his system was strictly filipino. however, it was obvious he was adding tai chi push hands, capoeira, wing chun, etc. into his system.

i also noticed he was doing some choy lee fut. he denied it, of course. Then he made a major mistake because he demonstrated techniques to his students and i instantl knew this teacher was a fake because he executed some elephant tecnniques and i confronted him on how and where did he learn lau buns elephant?

his answer was their founder was in an altercation with a lau bun student who used the elephant to defeat the founder. the founder then stole the techniques that defeated him and incorporated it into his own system, but then claimed it was a filipino lau bun elephant. he was busted!

later!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hskwarrior
    Hi guys,

just thought i'd participate on this elephant form ya'll have been speaking on about.

From what i've heard is Wong, Doc Fai does have the elephant form, and it certainly does come from Professor Lau Bun, not Wong Gong. He published a magazine article about it featuring his son Jason Wong.

also, i've heard that it is a treasured form, closely guarded in the current Hung Sing Studio under Grand Master D. Salvatera. it is my understanding that Wong, Doc Fai may have only gotten a version or modified version of it. the real question here is what version did he get? who got the original? Was it his si-hing Jew Leong? or did Professor Lau Bun keep the original for himself and only give a modified version of it. He was known to alter a set or two to fit a specific individual.

However, i do own a copy of a dvd with Wong Doc Fai in his youth performing the elephant set, along with some clips of him performing the butterfly sword form which is much different than what he performed on that old Wah Lum tape he did.

But, don't be fooled there are many versions out there and all claim to have the original. who's to tell?

still, once again, it is real, dangerously effective almost demolishing in fact. however I do know that at the Hung Sing Studio one may never see it. i know a senior student there that it took 20 years just to get the essence of it. which lead me to wonder, is the importance focused solely on the form, or the techinque?

ending, that form is still signature to Professor Lau's legacy, much the way the late and great Lee Koon Hung's signature moves are to his.

Have a good day.

hskwarrior
    Hi Frank....how's it going?