Thread: What is power? (Waxing philosophical)

Question What is power? (Waxing philosophical)

I was talking with a fella today & we were talking about Kerry Packer (Australia's richest man I think) and he said:
    "Man, I wish I had the power that he has."
    I was thinking about that statement.
    What is power? Not the varied formuale, but what is power? All the money in Australia may have "Property of Kerry Packer, please return" written on it, but what's it worth? What is power to a Kung Fu man? Every dollar/helicopter/yacht/yes man wouldn't make a lick of difference if the two of us were in a fight situation, street or otherwise. I realise that he could afford to hire tough guys to look after him, but is that power?
    I find as a Martial Artist that power is measured by one's own dedication to one's training, and the ability to take that training and apply it in real life. The ability to feel confident & feel no fear when the s**t goes down, and the ability to trust implicitly in your own body to perform as you need it to when you need it to. What do others think "power" is?
    In combat you sink to the level of your training. You do not rise to the occasion

I think

that my definition of power in a "life" sense would be wider than yours, but in a martial sense I would agree with you completely.
    '"4 ounces deflect 1000 pounds" represents a skill potential, if you stand in front of a 1000 pound charging bull and apply four ounces of deflection, well, you get the picture..' - Tai Chi Bob

"My car has a lot of parts in there that I don't know about, don't know what they're called, haven't seen them and wouldn't know what they were if someone pointed them out to me .... doesn't mean they're not in there." - Evolution Fist

Power is the ability to not be effected by other people's stupidity.

And if I may flame a little here, power is also the quality of not being affected by your own stupidity (see, Bush, George W.; Enron, executive board of)

Seriously, if you don't have to pay for your own mistakes and other people do instead, THAT'S power!
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

Word to that, CSN.

Hmm...real happiness is being happy with what you have. So, real power must mean being able to hold on to your happiness no matter the obstacles.
    That's my semi-philosophical answer....

Control over yourself , and your environment is power.
    The ability to make a decision, that is power enough in itself.
    No one can truly say that they can control nature , because nature has a will of its own. When one can master ones environment ,to the extent that excludes randomness which populates our existence ,then this is power. So I place Control over one's self first.
    When one can become his own master ,then others might follow suit.
    It is also the knowledge that we always have a choice , that, gives us power in any situation. The power to fight ,or the power to accept change.
    Last edited by Starchaser107; 12-11-2001 at 10:46 AM.

Will power is possibly the most pure power man can obtain. Often when situations present themselves to us, from a holistic viewpoint, we can view them as the Universe testing our willpower. We gain willpower by making the right decissions in these tests, and although in the beginning it may be very painful, it becomes easier as we continue practicing it.

Good discussion!

- Nexus

"KNOWLEDGE IS POWER" sir franscis beacon.
    http://www.kungfuUSA.net

no disrespect intended but knowledge alone isn't enough.
    the bullet itself isnt power , neither is the gun, a gun by itself or a bullet by itself never killed a soul. forewarned is forearmed however , it is important to have the wisdom and understanding to apply the knowledge.
    but of course you already know this.