Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Countering grapplers

P Guest

Countering grapplers

Was sparring with a friend that was in the navy last night. He constantly ducked to the side of me and went for a takedown, grabbing my neck and falling, quite a cool move actually. Dropping my back leg and coming back at him low started to help, what else can you do to pesky little s*its that keep taking it to the ground? :)

Budokan Guest
    Use Glock-Fu on them. Then they'll stop that pesky sh*t.

K. Mark Hoover

Ryu Guest
    Learn to sprawl. :)

I know a sight that shows you a good demo on how to do it. Let me post it.

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Water Dragon Guest
    Sit down before they can get to you and start butt-scooting toward them.

Most actions of men can be explained by observing a pack of dogs. Not wild dogs, just neighborhood dogs who all scurry under the fence on the same night and set off together to reclaim a glimmer of the glory their species possessed before domestication.

Ryu Guest
    aw the site is not working.

Let me see if this pic works. This is a sprawl.
    Put your weight down onto his back, neck, and shoulders and throw your legs backwards, spreading them out to a good base.

www.groundfighter.com has some good vid clips of wrestling sprawls.

Ryu

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Merryprankster Guest
    Was he pulling your neck down with his hand? How was he falling? Are you sure he wasn't ducking under, pulling on your neck and then grabbing the far ankle to take you down?

You are describing a duck under for the first part of the move, but I am having a hard time visualizing the rest.

Oh, and learn to sprawl.

JWTAYLOR Guest
    P, dropping your leg back was the first step of doing something right. You were starting to sprawl, like Ryu is mentioning. There are MANY versions of the sprawl but they are all pretty much about creating space and lowering your center.

But I am also having a hard time figuring out what he was doing if he was ducking outside and still being able to hold on to your neck.

JWT

If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

Merryprankster Guest
    I can figure out how he's holding onto the neck, I can't figure out how he's "falling" to take you down. I'm trying to figure that out...

http://www.nwmgc.com/photos/Sprawls.html

There's a sprawl... and a **** fine couple of them, by none other than Kurt Angle!

P Guest

Well

Usually did it when I initiated an attack, hed duck low and step to the side of me when I had a little forward momentum (was starting to get frusterated and coming at him pretty hard), then twist towards me throwing the outer arm around my neck/head, by the time he wrapped himself around me like that he would just let his wieght fall and bring me down backwards/sideways. Pretty simple if you think about it, but I guess they trained that kinda stuff alot and he was fast as hell at it.

Merryprankster Guest
    Ok, I understand what he's done. He's using the duck under to get to the side/back, and then moving to what amounts to a high body lock to use a backwards trip... the judo guys call it Tani Otoshi I think.

Ton of counters. Easiest is to...

Face him and sprawl. When your opponent tries to duck under, clamp your elbow in tight to your body, pivot to face him and sprawl.

Just for the record, I'd say if he can get to your side/back that easily, you have a case of "flying elbows." Sounds like you are winging you punches. Keep 'em in more and you won't have that problem.

Water Dragon Guest
    Where's your arm in all of this? If your shoulder is next to his body, you can just cut the angle and plow into him like you're trying to ram through a door.

Most actions of men can be explained by observing a pack of dogs. Not wild dogs, just neighborhood dogs who all scurry under the fence on the same night and set off together to reclaim a glimmer of the glory their species possessed before domestication.

P Guest

Yea

I did wing the punch a little much, another huge factor in his success was hieght. Im 6'7, hes short, so getting under me is pretty simple.

kungfugrip Guest
    check out www.sportsid.com for free vids on wrestling technique

Wongsifu Guest
    merry those pics were psycho !! it looks like the guy is practising advanced yoga techniques !!!

what do bin laden and general custer have in common????
    They're both wondering where the fu(k all of those tomahawks are coming from. - donated by mojo

Yum Cha Guest

With respect

as a grappler, how do you avoid a heavy head shot when you move in for a takedown?

I did HS wrestling, so I'm rusty, but not totally ignorant (totally I said), to many techniques, but most require bringing your hands to the outside to make a capture, exposing the head?

It seems too simplistic to me to assume you can just drop an elbow on the back of a guys head if he goes for the waist, or catch him with a centreline punch to the chin as he moves in for an upper body grab....

Or are grapplers ready to trade one shot for the takedown? Or is there a tangle/trap to prevent it?