Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bad Lesson

Hey, KC,

Since the two of you are good friends, when you two are alone tell him that the next time you're teaching another student, male or female, shutup. You could talk to your instructor and see what he says on how to handle students like that (you don't have to name your friend, just ask in a general sense, you have this student who does this, how do you handle it?).

It's kind of a sticky situation when friendship gets involved. You don't want to alienate your friend, but he's alienating you. Friends usually can tell each other to shutup, in ways they now will be understood.

Robin
    Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

Thanks for the advice everyone. NoKnow, thanks. That's really my goal, to give him the chance to supplement his kung fu and become a brother in equal or better standing within the system. Also, that's exactly the error I made with my forms: punching bag syndrome. Fortunately, looking back there were some good things I discovered about my forms, so it was not all loss.

SLC- My real goal in the heavy biu ma session, or at least the part of my goal that is important, is to let him see the merit to my way of training, not over his way, but as a way for him to understand I didn't just assume this technique worked this way. I tend to practice a specific move a sickening number of times, and I become effective at it. Perhaps training him will be more complex than that, I'll put some more thought to it.

Ginger Fist- Thanks. I hope you didn't take it too personally, my kidding you about your posting style before. You seem to have been really good natured about it, and you clearly have some good working knowledge going on there. Found any good jobs shoveling **** against the tide yet?

Robin- I think I'll have no choice but to let him know at some point. You were exactly right about him undermining my authority. One problem I run into is he's got a huge machismo problem, so as soon as women get involved(more he percieves women are involved) he has to get his ego all big, and he does this by trying to lower those around him. I'm not sure how I'm gonna talk to him, but its gotta be done. However, in the past, our friendship has not always been a positive one, and while I have changed, he has been very slow to do so, so he sometimes doesn't understand that things have changed, and it makes real communication difficult.

What's really weird is, friend or no, I've put a lot of thought into who I would teach and who I wouldn't. I've always felt that kung fu is only a vehicle for self growth if you make it that, it can be just a method of fighting, too, so I always thought that if someone came to me to learn when I was a teacher on my own, I would only teach them if I felt they could be trusted not to hurt others, especially weaker people/innocents. I've often thought, if I were a teacher and my friend came to me to learn, that I probably wouldn't teach him. His lack of self esteem and serious issues with women make his mental state too fragile right now to be trusted. This kung fu is complicated business!

tide move

Ginger Fist- Thanks. I hope you didn't take it too personally, my kidding you about your posting style before.

--not at all ... i'm a lazy bag of sh*it so i'm fair game at all times

You seem to have been really good natured about it,

--dude!! like i'm gonna cop an attitude with the cr*ap i sling?

and you clearly have some good working knowledge going on there.

--my mother & grandmother have taught my lazy bag of sh*it self well

Found any good jobs shoveling **** against the tide yet?

--4 sure!! turned out 2 b a union job tho ... needed 6 months of apprentice sh*it shoveling 2 get my card ... 4 the apprenticeship u r not allowed to use a shovel ... only hands ... fu*ck it ... back 2 my father's $ in my parents house ... i’m doomed