Thread: leung shums book

leung shums book

whats in leung shums new book besides part of the 108 chinna? anything else? any eagle claw history, any stories? any old photos? any training techniques or theories of eagle claw? thanks lemme know everyone who has the book!

The book contains:

-an extensive history of Ying Jow Pai
    -a variety of conditioning techniques, hand exercises, calisthenics, and stretches.
    -Numerous entertaining anecdotes from Master Shum's youth
    -Several training methods and a good deal of training philosophy
    -The seven eagle claw principles, what they are, and the "training form" that is used to introduce students to them.
    -The first 30(?) of the 108 locking techniques
    -And a variety of other bits and bobs that someone studying the system would find interesting.

HTH
    "All that just to save a baby with a really funky tupee. I'm pretty sure that Val Kilmer was actually drunk during that movie, and who could blame him with that weird baby and the naked old lady turning into a marmet? "
    -----KC Elbows

final question

and it all boils down to, do you think it's worth 13.50 + shipping? because thats what i think it's going to cost me. im really not intrested in the form at all, i already know it. some of the training techniques and stuff might be interesting although, i've probably done or heard of most of them already, but you never know~!

oh btw, how in depth are the moves in the form described? does it tell the exact points to press down on with the fingers or just "the wrist, or the elbow" does it have chinese names of techniques in there?

although I don't really want the book, because it has stories and history of eagle claw, im really leaning towards buying it, so whacha think, worth the 13.50 + shipping?

thanks for all the info, byebye

Well, it depends. It was worth it to me, since I study this style, and a book written by my Sigung is of interest merely for that fact alone.

If you're looking for new training methods, you probably won't see anything earth shaking.

You do get a nice breakdown in detail of each stance and fist.

If you already know the seven principles, then you probably don't need this section except as a photo-memory aid. This also goes for the locking techniques. It would be difficult to learn them from these photos, but they're great to have as a reference if you are training in the system.

In the big scheme of things, $13.50 would get you a burger and a movie (maybe) or it would get you this book. My advice would be if you are training in this system under this lineage, get the book. You won't get a ton of new information out of it, but its a great reference tool for things you've already learned.

HTH
    "All that just to save a baby with a really funky tupee. I'm pretty sure that Val Kilmer was actually drunk during that movie, and who could blame him with that weird baby and the naked old lady turning into a marmet? "
    -----KC Elbows