Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Grappelers: Does the Guard/Mount expose the groin?

jimmy23 Guest
    Nut n Hunny , its the NORTH SOUTH position, us grapplers are sensitive about remarks like that!

If its the street, pin his shoulders and tripod, then knee his skull.

MMA , look for armbars or neck cranks, or turn it into a side mount. usually, i use it for a transition to a better position, or , if Im feeling mean, I leave my gut right over his face and make him fight just to breathe.

"You guys have obviously never done any real fighting if you are mocking spitting"
    Spinning Backfist

GinSueDog Guest
    Nutt'nhunny,
    What are you talking about? :confused:

BTW, the elbow trick just doesn't work on anybody with more then six months experience. You become conditioned to it.-ED

"Ninjas are not dangerous. They are more afraid of you than you are of them." --The Tick

fightfan Guest
    Nutnhoney, The problem with what youre describing is that you tie up both of your hands with that beginners elbow escape(not to mention that you leave your face wide open). Remember the guy on the bottom has both hands free and if he takes control of one of your arms and opens his guard, you are open to sweeps, triangle, armbars, and strikes.
    Just as in any martial art, you must know how to do the technique to learn how to avoid it.

fightfan Guest
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nutt'nhunny:
    yeah thats what I mean. Only with your guard up come down with double strikes to the insides to soften them up for groin attacks, passing the guard or ankle locks.[/quote]
    You dont want to wait that long. As soon as they lift their arms for the double strikes you want to pull them in with your hips and regain control of their upper body. Or if the timing is right, open your guard,put your feet on his hips, and kick like a wild man to knock him out or make space for you to stand up.

Water Dragon Guest
    Fight fan, that's definately true. It comes down to a matter of opportunity. If I'm going for the pass and see the nut shot, I can get it. If you see it before me, you can kick me out. Now it comes down to the better fighter.

shinwa Guest
    The mount leaves you exposed to lots of things really. Just like any other technique/movement/stance/position. There's no such thing as an impenetrable position. I mean I usually feel way vulnerable in that position since I'm more of a striker myself. I'm always thinking 'what if he just slaps my throat hella hard, or rakes my eyes' and things like that. I mean the opponent isn't under any rule to try to punch you in the face or something senseless like that. I actually feel a little safer on the bottom from a striking standpoint. But of course as far as grappling I'm not as good as most of you guys.

KnightSabre Guest
    Shinwa - you would rather be at the bottom of the mount than the top?
    I think you and a training partner should put on some glove and then take turns mounting each other and then add in strikes.
    I think your opinion will change very quickly.
    The mounted position (top) is a very advantageous position.

"You're Good Kid Real Good,But As Long As I'm Arround You'll Always Be Second Best See".

shinwa Guest
    Nah i dont see it that way. Being on the top GIVES a feekloing of superiority yes, but that breeds overconfidence. And once you looks past that feeling of superiority you see the adavntages that the guy on the bottom has. True his strikes won't be as powerful as the guys on the top, but they will be faster and less telegraphic. There is no winding up involved so they'll be harder to defend against if aimed at the proper targets. When you're on the top, you tend to **** your fist way the heck back there (Not everyone, but lots of people) and try to knock the stuffing out of the guy. Cocking up like that opens up even more areas.

Like I said, when I'm on the bottom I see throat strikes and eye exposure. When training I let my opponent know this by just reaching up and putting my hand on his throat before he pops me. I can take few punches, but how many strikes (not fatal) to the throat could I take? BUt i know that of course, there are advantages top bot positions. I'm not calling one superior to the other.

heh heh one time when we were going at it, I put one hand on his chin and the other on the sidetop of his head. If i would have twisted, he would have been over. Of course one time he chocked the living hell out of me :p

JWTAYLOR Guest
    Shinwa, how are you going to even reach my throat when I'm on top?

JWT

If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

LEGEND Guest
    Shinwa...I don't think u're training partner has u full mounted! Full mounted should leave the top guy with a distinct reach advantage...the fact that u're arms we able to reach his throat and eyes...mean u're partner does not have a FULL MOUNT...I assume u're partner does not study BJJ??? The full mount should be where he moves his knee up into your armpits...while at the same time holding your wrists.

A

Water Dragon Guest
    Shinwa, how are you going to even reach my throat when I'm on top?

Ancient Chinese Secret

Chang Style Novice Guest
    Well, I got long arms. If the guy in the mount permitted it, I would almost certainly be able to reach the neck and face - I don't know much about BJJ and groundfighting generally, but it seems like there would be all kinds of opportunity to get a nasty armbar if I tried such a thing, though.

I always thought it wouldn't be that difficult to grab head or arms with your feet/kick and knee the head/neck/back while you were mounted, though. True enough, I haven't tested this theory, so maybe someone can explain how this is countered or how it's not possible.

Merryprankster Guest
    Grab my throat from the bottom of the mount? Strike my eyes? I sure hope you have two attributes:

Exceptionally long arms (when I am bolt upright in a proper mount, reaching my face isn't easy)

The quickness of a cat. Reach up to touch my face... armbar anyone? I'm already going to it as soon as I feel that arm start to extend... and for those of you that say "I've scratched your eyes, you can't see now," I don't need to SEE to grapple.

So, chang, you're exactly right on that.

Shinwa-the fact that you were able to reach your partners head with your arms tells me that he hadn't an ounce of groundfighting experience.

The second part: You won't be able to kick or knee my head unless you have truly bizarre body proportions and flexibility. Kneeing me in the back is difficult.

Have a person simply mount you as commonly seen in grappling or MMA matches and try to knee their back/butt. I think you'll see how hard it is.

Chang Style Novice Guest
    Yeah, Prankster, nothing beats empirical evidence. None of my friends are into MA like I am, though, and would probably stop talking to me if I asked them "Hey, you wanna sit on my chest and see if I can kick you in the head?" So until I get some new friends, I'll have to wait before I can test this out.

Ryu Guest
    There's a difference in not having any BJJ experience and wrestling with people with no technical aspects and you not having any either, and having trained in BJJ for a period of time (at least a year or two) and THEN working out on your own from time to time.

You have to know the techniques before you practice them by yourself or with friends, and that means you have to have rolled and been taught in a BJJ school for a decent amount of time to get the basics.

Ryu

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."