Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: Lord of the Rings

Actually, something was achieved by the end, but it was more esoteric than most people want in a movie. Only by the end was the Fellowship really a fellowship. After Boromir makes his error and makes up for it in the most profound way, and Aragorn and Legolas go to save the other members of the Fellowship because they can't immediately help Frodo, the group is definitely a fellowship, and that's the title of the movie, so I think it was achieved well enough.

As I've been rereading the book, there is one thing I wish was in there that isn't. It doesn't ruin the movie for me, but it would have been neat to see. At the beginning of the book, when Gandolf explains to Frodo that the ring is Sauron's ring, he explains how he found Gollum and got info off of the demented hobbit. Its a good part, because it explains why hobbits are the only logical bearers for the one ring. The premise is that Gollum had the ring for hundreds of years, yet never became a ring wraith, whereas the ring wraiths succumbed after a much shorter time, even though they were more powerful than any hobbit. It also involves Gandolf having to mildly torture Gollum for the info, as time was of the essence.

Let my geekdom be known to all!
    I would use a blue eyed, blond haired Chechnyan to ruin you- Drake on weapons

I'm scared to see this movie. Every year or two, since the age of 15, I have read and savored the trilogy. There is a very definitive set of images in my mind around this story, and I'm not ready to have them replaced by Peter Jackson's images.

I know that once I see someone else's idea of LOTR in such a strong visual way, I cannot go back to my own mindvision. And I really don't like the idea of seeing Elijah Wood's face every time I think of Frodo. That kid is just too skinny to be a hobbit. Frodo was a round little guy.

Nolite irasci, aequiperate.

Actually, the nazgul in the movie matched my mental image of them almost exactly! Plus, they plumped out all the hobbits well.

I was just relieved to hear of the last minute casting change from Dolly Parton to Cate Blanchett for Galadriel. And Kenny Rogers as Gandalf!

LOL, Jasbourne! Nice Avatar!

Actually, ity got changed twice, as Kenny Rogers couldn't smoke the pipe well enough, so they went to Willie Nelson, who went missing briefly before shooting. Showing up weeks late, he explained that he had been held in a tower at the IRS office, but was later freed by the Eagles.

dang, KC, that really was funny!

Nolite irasci, aequiperate.

Other original cast members:

Michael Jackson as Aragorn(turns out he was only the former son-in-law of the King)

Little Richard as Tom Bombadil(His scenes were cut for unknown reasons)

Liberace as Sauron

Emil Phillips as Gollum

Tom Jones would rule as Elrond

Its not unusual...

I just read this entire thread, and am still laughing from that description of Willow [spits on floor].

But anyway, as long as we're re-casting the film, don't forget the most obvious casting choices that were completely overlooked:

H. Ross Perot as Smeagol
    Barney Frank as Tom Bombadil
    Strohm Thurman as Old Man Willow
    Bill Clinton as Grima "Wormtongue"
    Al Gore as Treebeard

and special cameo,

Calista Flockheart as "The Corpse in the Dead Marshes"
    "All that just to save a baby with a really funky tupee. I'm pretty sure that Val Kilmer was actually drunk during that movie, and who could blame him with that weird baby and the naked old lady turning into a marmet? "
    -----KC Elbows

Exclamation Mr Spock sings about Lord Of The Rings (CMA related)

All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

set your volume on "stun"
    Kung Fu is good for you.

i hate you milkman dan
    "In the world of martial arts, respect is often a given. In the real world, it must be earned."

"A stupid man's report of what a clever man says is never accurate because he unconsciously translates what he hears into something he can understand. "--Bertrand Russell

"Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends of every country save their own. "--Benjamin Disraeli

"A conservative government is an organised hypocrisy."--Benjamin Disraeli

Is this the hippy video where they all sing and dance and Lenord Nemoy has his Spock ears on?
    I have a signature.