Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lord of the Rings

I am taking my lil' sister out of school to see the movie. As a nerd I feel it is my responsibility to provide her with some culture. I think every older brother should do the same... Besides all of my friends went to see it at the 12 midnight showing.
    AND if they have done a good job with the movie it may encourage her to read more.
    However after seeing "Meet the Feebles" I have some doubts.

Talking vulcan press forward and all that

i am psyched thogh thinking about reading it agian but that would take for ever hohum what to do??

I'm gonna see it tonight...the wait has been real hard, I'm a great fan of Tolkien's entire work...as such, I'm both very excited and very cautious, there are plenty ways that he could screw up...adapting Lord of the Rings required balls anyway!
    I heard they skipped the whole Galgal/Bombadil part, it's not a great loss for the story as a whole but still, they DARED cutting, acccckkkkkkk
    OK, I'll be seeing it at 6pm Paris time, around noon eastern time...I'll tell you what I thought about it

My Wife, myself, Brother-in-law & his g/friend are going to see it after new years at one of those very expensive cinemas where you pay $30 a seat. But that seat is a Lazy Boy recliner & you are served food & drink throughout the movie.
    Can't wait. I am half way through the book, & for sure I'll have it finished by new years
    In combat you sink to the level of your training. You do not rise to the occasion

I saw it last night as well.
    I thought it was great.
    JWT
    If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

Talking

I am going to see it in a an hour!!!!!

"The Wolf does not regard the barking dog"

Oh yeah, well I'm going to see it AGAIN in 4 hours.
    HA!
    JWT
    If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

Talking

I am going to see it in a an hour!!!!!

"The Wolf does not regard the barking dog"

DRONE

Saludos amigo. I just checked out your profile. You are almost exactly 5 years younger than me. and you are starting Grad School? I can't believe it's been 5 years since I got my undergrad degree. Makes me feel old, man. Do you go to Northwestern?
    -FJ

Smile LOR...

It’s just one individual’s interpretation on the original book. I am trying to finish the book in the next few days prior to seeing the movie. I’m on page 99.

So far the book is great! But I would recommend reading the Hobbit first (I did and feel having a background on Hobbits helps the words go down)

Godzilla

Bombadil plays a huge role in the book. Leaving him out makes me very dubious about the movie.

I will still see it however.

I just came back...disapointed...many good ideas, other things that leave a taste of unfinished job...the shooting was not inventive at all, except for one or two good sequences (troll fight, some rotating views, and the scene in which Frodo puts the ring on and sees the spirit world).
    OK, for all you hardcore fans here is a small list of what is not faithful to the book: the intro with Sauron's first defeat to elven/Numenor army...where is Gil Galad?? Sauron is already fallen when Isildur cuts the ring off, he doesn't die because of the cut. No mention that the 3 elven rings are left pure, they are described like the 7 and 9 as corrupting.
    Smeagol/Gollum appears straight like a weird creature, no mention that he had been a hobbit remain.
    Arwen saves Frodo from the 9 in the movie and triggers the flooding, in the book she appears only in Rivendell and it is Glorfindel who does what she does in the movie.
    No traces of Bombadil and the Galgals as I said.
    Rivendell stuff doesn't happen like in the book, for example Bilbo in the movie is present at the secret council with Elrond, among other details related to Narsil and who Aragorn is...
    Also, the Amon Sul encounter is not really like in the book, it's minor thingie though...
    But what ****ed me off big time is the Lorien passage, no mention that it is incredible that Gimli can enter (he's a DWARF ******, prolly the first dwarf to hav this honor since the Noldors stopped any contacts with them milleniums ago), no mention of his growing admiration for Galadriel, no mention that she gives him a braid (what a present, do you imagine, the braid of a queen, that girl was in Valinor, saw the Ainurs, is almost as old as the world, she gives a braid to a DWARF and none of it is in??? That's too much of a cut, Bombadil, OK, but not this part!) indeed only Frodo receives a present in the movie (and we know it AFTER they live Lorien, in a two-sec flashback), actually they leave Lorien like this, without even a ceremony for their departure (of course, since it is during the ceremony that each companion gets a farewell present). The scene of the water mirror is awfully simplified, and Galadriel's reaction when Frodo hands her the one ring is not as subtle yet noble as in the book...which reminds me that in the movie Isildur passes as a biotch from the beginning since he just replies NO with anger and a bad grin to Elrond when asked to throw the ring in the fire (in the book, his whole explanation about what Numenor suffered from Sauron and why he want to keep the ring as a toll for his father's life makes much more sense and drama than just passing him for a straight up corrupted guy). The same way, Saruman appears like a straight up traitor, without any explanation that he has been designed to watch over and counter Sauron and that first he does what he does more in a kind of competition thingie than just because he's also corrupted by Sauron.
    These are all details and I forget some more, but still it gives me a bad after taste, especially the Lorien part.

The Moria rocks though, especially the troll fight. The Balrog is decent, huge, not bad at all.
    Cities are very beautiful, Bag End, Barad Dur and especially Isenguard (very cool) feel just like in the book.
    The 9 are doing their job alright, they look pretty decent.
    As I said, the scenes in which Frodo sees the spirit world are quite nice too...
    Here are my first hot impressions...
    I was disapointed, the spectacle is grand, the movie has an undeniable plastic beauty, but there was no magic...I have to admit I got some shivers here and then (Gwaihir saving Gandalf, the approach of the Balrog especially), but in the end, there was no real magic, no real thrill like that I had when I saw Willow long long ago for example...
    Go see it anyway, it was a courageous thing to adapt Lord of the Rings anyway, someone at least got the balls to do it, even if it seems it was bound to fail...but who knows, maybe the next two will be much better???

Angry

Thanks for ruining the movie for me
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

After the first few lines of that guys post, I realized if I read it it would spoil the movie so I skipped it and read yours saying "Thanks for ruining the movie for me." -Whew-

Unfortunately I got halfway through before I realised what was happening. By then I couldn't stop
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.