Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Lord of the Rings

IMO you should probably go to see the movie with the attitude that it is not the book. Don't compare it to the book because you will always be disappointed. Why? Because the director's vision of the story will almost certainly not be the same as yours.

Oh, and Crimson Phoenix, you ruined it the same way anyone can ruin a movie for people who haven't seen it - you discussed the details and removed the anticipation for those who haven't seen it. But I forgive you
    cxxx[]:::::::::::>
    Behold, I see my father and mother.
    I see all my dead relatives seated.
    I see my master seated in Paradise and Paradise is beautiful and green; with him are men and boy servants.
    He calls me. Take me to him.

WHAT!?! Bruce Willis is dead from the beginning?? Son of a *****!!

<jk>

Crimson, I understand about the movie not being entirely faithful, there are several things I miss from the book (but not Tom Bombadil, although I would like to know what kinda drugs he was taking ) Tolkien's poetry and songs were barely touched.

Still, I saw the movie and thought it rocked. I can forgive the stuff that's missing because of all the stuff that's still there. Jackson's done a good job and has kept the characters on track. During the last battle scene in the movie (and I'm NOT going to spoil it here, there are actually people in this world who've never read the book), people were in tears. Girls and guys. And the battle scenes were all well-done, the mines of Moria were especially intense and far better-filmed than most battle scenes I've seen in recent movies (Gladiator's shake-O-vision battles were crap).

Just my 2 and a half cents.

Peace,

Sam
    There is a great streak of violence in every human being. If it is not channeled and understood, it will break out in war or in madness. ~Sam Peckinpah

The last battle was touching but not worth crying over, and the battles were like gladiator only worse, but it worked for the move because when reading you don’t really picture the battles in much detail any way.
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

That was the coolest F*UCKING movie i've seen in years. Screw what everyone else says. It's my new favorite film probably until Blade 2 or Matrix 2 or maybe if George Lucas finally gets it right. I'm a big fan of fantasy flicks and that ranked the highest. I'm seeing it again. Nothing anyone will say can change my mind. I'm a big critic of films too. I'll tell you when a film is a piece of garbage but i dont know, I loved LOTR's for some reason. I knew i would like it from the first battle seen. The ending ****ed me off though. I would of sat another hour if need be even though it was 3 hours long. Guess i gotta see 2 and 3.
    "If I'm gonna get my balls blown off for a word, my word is p00ntang."-Animal Mother

What about the music?
    Anything like Nightwish, Helloween, Blind Guardian, Stratovarius Tolkien tributes or just Lucas-Williams repeated fancy music.

"the troll fight sucked,"

uh, are you on drugs?
    We're a nation of immigrants. Just like you. Just older, wiser, more thoroughly mixed, with larger genitals and a greater capacity for drink and sex-
    S Abrutat

Haven't seen it yet, but my 2 cents on the discussion at hand:

Some of the complaints(showing the dwarf's feeling of admiration for the lady, and his honor at receiving the gift) involve things that translate badly to film(internal dialogue is a ***** on the visible medium, and acting it out is cheesy, especially a ceremony-does anyone watch the award ceremony at the end of Star Wars over and over? Didn't think so.) Mixing characters is somewhat annoying, I'll agree. The difficulty of alluding to a deeper story(a la Silmarillian) is extremely difficult to pull off without adding too much time to the movie for the theatres to want to play it, but it could've been done(using an example, were people complaining in star wars because they didn't explain what a Sith was or why Vader was a lord of them? sorry to use star wars as a constant example, its just what's coming to mind right now.) As I recall, LOTR(the books) didn't overtly explain most of the Silmarillian stuff, it just was so fleshed out a world that you knew JRR had some more stuff up his sleeve.

"Madmartigan, bring back that baby!"

As far as Willow[spits in dirt] being better LOTR worship than anything, I'm a serious skeptic. Willow[spits in dirt] was all surface fantasy stuff, without any real depth. LOTR is a tragedy, has one of the subtlest anticlimax's in fantasy, has a richly fleshed out world, and the nazgul. Willow[spits in dirt] has a happy happy joy joy all is good in the world ending that is nice and pat, and designed for children. The only reason that all the little people are so happy in the end is that they managed to make it through a whole movie without George throwing them in furry suits and pelting them with rocks. The villain with the skull helm on is so characterless that we're left assuming that he is another sith lord, the daughter of the villains is so easy to convert over to the good side that we're left wondering why she bothered being evil in the first place. The magic fight reminds me of that version of The Raven with Karloff fighting Vincent Price(great low budget flick, but not serious film). All that just to save a baby with a really funky tupee. I'm pretty sure that Val Kilmer was actually drunk during that movie, and who could blame him with that weird baby and the naked old lady turning into a marmet?

But no offence meant to the fans of Willow[spits in dirt].

Anyway, I am always amazed by the Tolkien universe. Its kind of daring to make characters like Gandalf and Saruman, who everyone just figures are humans, and never really tell the reader that they are more like lesser angels/minor gods, walking in human guise(not a spoiler, it helps to know this to really appreciate the story.)

If these 3 films are successful, and there's no reason yet to suppose they won't be, do think they will film The Silmirillian? To me, that's a film that if done right would be a cornerstone in movie history. It's loaded with tragedy and drama and an over-arching sense of wonder.
    K. Mark Hoover

I agree on Silmarillian. It would be amazing, all these epic vignettes of the world he created. I'd see it.

BTW, I haven't read the sequel to Willow yet. It's on my list, as soon as I get done with Little Women and the Mission Earth Series. I might read it while getting my lower GI, just to get in the right mood.
    I would use a blue eyed, blond haired Chechnyan to ruin you- Drake on weapons

I haven't seen LotR (not out here for a while) but i just wanted to voice my agreement to KC Elbows assessment of Willow[spits in dirt].

I also wanted to be a lone voice in the wilderness and bring much strife upon myself by saying I liked Tom Bombadil (i could do without the brightly coloured silk clothes etc. but to me at least that was an important part of the character...part of the allusion to a greater depth)
    __________________________________________________ __________ "I'm just trying to lull you into a genuine sense of security!"

yeah the troll scene sucked, the troll looked like that retard from goonnies (sp?), the only cool part that i can remember is when they where shooting the orcs through the door.

what do YOU think was cool about it?

and like i said erlier you cant see most the sword fighting, they just throw the back of an orc up against the camera and you have to asume something very bad happened to him.

i bet LOTR books are over priced with the movie stuff, but now i want to read them, even though i think hobbits are gay, where should i start.
    - 三和拳

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

You wont enjoy it anyway, dont bother
    We're a nation of immigrants. Just like you. Just older, wiser, more thoroughly mixed, with larger genitals and a greater capacity for drink and sex-
    S Abrutat

But enough about LOTR.

Anyone seen Hawk, The Slayer?
    I would use a blue eyed, blond haired Chechnyan to ruin you- Drake on weapons

jimmy

That’s harsh, just because I didn't like your gay ass troll scene, or little d!ck eating hobbits. You have harry feet don't you.

I read fantasy novels all the time, I really like the Forgotten Realms series, It was fun seeing the comparisons (LOTR rip-offs), like the mithril chain shirt. If the books are as good as everyone is saying i think i'll like LOTR just fine.
    - 三和拳

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

i'm finishing the book for the first time now before seeing it.

the book is pretty fu cking good.

i hope they make movies about raistlin too.
    where's my beer?