Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Lord of the Rings

hawk, the slayer - was that the guy from"V"? I'm soo sad I sat through that and the sequels.

BTW david gemmel kicks ass, I'd love to see "Legend", not the tom cruise movie, made into a film.
    You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead.

i never really got into dragonlance, how did raistlin kill all the gods, and why did he destroy the world/universe
    - 三和拳

"Civilize the mind but make savage the body" Mao Tse Tsung

"You're certainly intelligent enough to know how to be a good person without the lead weights of religious dogma." Serpent

"There is no evidence that the zombie progeny of an incestuous space ghost cares what people do." MasterKiller

"If there isn't a chance that you're going to lose in a fight, then you're not fighting tough enough competition." ShaolinTiger00

BLOG
    MYSPACE
    FACEBOOK
    YOUTUBE

it's a long time since I read dragonlance. The last two books( dragonlance TNG?) were very disappointing. I should have stoppped at the end of the twins trilogy.

At the end of the twins series raistlin was ready to go head to head with the evil god, (can't remember names) and take over, but ultimately sacrificed himself to save his brother, saving his own soul in the process.
    You can lead a horse to water but a pencil must be lead.

Time to REALLY p!ss some people off.

I didn't like the book. It was booring as hell to me. When I was litte and read it, I put it down at that fairy Tom Master o the Woods crap. As an adult, I found myself skipping swaths of pages to get through to something interesting. Reading Fellowship of the Ring convinced me that the second two were not worth my time.

That said,

I loved the movie. I thought it was beautiful. I loved the ending (it is a trillogy remember), I thought the Balrog was pretty cool, and I though that the ending fight scene was one of the best I've ever seen. (Anybody catch the cool sh!t the elf was doing? Like when he stabs that guy through the eye with an arrow and then strings it on his bow and fires all in one motion. Very cool.)

I will most likely not read the second book, but you bet your sweet bipy I'll see the second movie.

JWT
    If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

I don't believe in posting "SPOILER", clicking on the thread is an act of free will, so don't flame me

That said...I LOVED IT. However...

There were a couple of things I didn't like...

The major one was Galadriel when she did the evil she-*****-temptation-wrath-freak-out when offered the ring. In the book she is an elf-queen of supreme age, wisdom, and restraint who calmly sees the temptation and resists it. In the movie she does a complete Mr Hyde "Why yes Frodo, calmness and wisdom must be chosen when bearing the ring--AIIGH THERE IT IS! BLEGHYIAIGHH! FROTH FROTH DROOL YAEAAEAFGHGHH!--ahem...ahem...what got in to me, silly girl, where was I?" Aragorn's reaction to the ring, by contrast, was spot-on perfect.

I also was dissapointed that she only gave a gift to Frodo and not the others of the Fellowship, it really lessened the grandeur of her character, as someone else said, this woman is as old as the world, Gandalf is a minor character in comparison, Galadriel should have been portrayed better.

Arwen calling down the river of horses instead...it just irks me.

The battle between Gandalf and Saruman seemed way too campy and corny, I was hoping for more subtlety.

Watching Elrond, I kept hearing Agent Smith in my head.

The music score was a little too heavy-handed at times, there were a tad too many swelling crescendos that pulled me from my immersion on the screen. At times, a few lines of dialog were getting drowned out by the music.

Everything else was brilliant!
    And all that the Lorax left here in this mess
    was a small pile of rocks, with the one word..."UNLESS."
    --Dr. Seuss

Actually, isn't gandalf about as old as the world as well? It's been a while since I read the Silmarillian, but he is way ancient. In fact, the balrog and he are probably about the same age(the balrog represents the fallen version of what Gandalf and Saruman are).

And, Lightfoot, the movie with the guy from V is, to my recollection, Beastmaster. Hawk, The Slayer is a whole new level of punishment. It makes Beastmaster look like this years Cannes winner in comparison.
    I would use a blue eyed, blond haired Chechnyan to ruin you- Drake on weapons

I haven't yet seen the movie

But, I have a question for Tolkien fans. In the books, Gandalf disappears after the fight with the creature in the caves, then he shows up later in a white robe, with greatly increased powers. Anybody know where he went?

Those books were cool.

-FJ

Thumbs up

A VERY good movie, saw it yesterday. Everyone who enjoyed the books should se it.
    I especially liked the parts that showed Isengard, what an evil and spooky place!
    I also liked the part with Gollum in the beginng of the movie. He looks exactly like I imagined him.

Well, fa-jing, for those of us who didn't read the next two books and were wondering what would become of Gandalf, let me be the very first to say fu(k you. Fuc(k you very much.

JWT
    If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

JWT

Hey, you're not going to read the next two books, they're worthless, right. So I did you a fu(cking favor, and distilled the contents.
    Nice to see someone's finally ****ed off at me, though. I mean I've posted enough times, right?
    -FJ

Yeah, but I'm going to see the movies.

So, since it's already ruined, what happens next?

JWT

What happens next?

More battles, the fellowship all go off on their own adventures, there's a love story in there, Aragorn comes into his own -- and yeah, Gandalf comes back. As far as how he got back, well, he didn't explain too much in the book as I remember (it's been a few years since I read them).

As far as the books -- FOTR is the best of them IMO, but The Two Towers is also very good with plenty of blood and gore for everyone. If you had trouble staying with parts of FOTR (don't feel bad, I skipped through the Tom Bombadil section after a couple hours of trying to get through it), you'll get really mired in The Return of the King, although it's not all bad. It's just that Frodo's journey to Mt. Doom is really, really, really long and kind of depressing, too.

Sam
    There is a great streak of violence in every human being. If it is not channeled and understood, it will break out in war or in madness. ~Sam Peckinpah

Gandhi vs. Gandalf - wrinkly codger SMACKDOWN!
    All my fight strategy is based on deliberately injuring my opponents. -
    Crippled Avenger

"It is the same in all wars; the soldiers do the fighting, the journalists do the shouting, and no true patriot ever get near a front-line trench, except on the briefest of propoganda visits...Perhaps when the next great war comes we may see that sight unprecendented in all history, a jingo with a bullet-hole in him."

First you get good, then you get fast, then you get good and fast.

KC,

I just can't resisit pulling my loser card and showing the world. I saw that square kick in the groin called "Hawk the Slayer" as a kid and being the mini-nerd that I was, named my Dungeons and Dragons character after him. Funny thing is, he turned out rather well. Became a demi-god. I had crafted (on paper of course) that retarded sword for him too. Ah, to be young and brain damaged.

On topic: Looking forward to seeing the movie. Been quite a while since I read the books. I'd like to know when they will make films of "The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant the Unbeliever" though. I really dug those books! Knowing my taste though (see above) probably never.
    "I'll use my bare hands...against any weapon!"

We are trained in wushu. We must defend the Temple!

Question .

Friday December 21, 2000

Director sees more 'Rings' changes in next movies

WELLINGTON, New Zealand (AP) - Defying the wrath of purists, "Lord Of The Rings" director Peter Jackson has made changes to the original scripts of J.R.R. Tolkien's fantasy novels in the second and third movies of the popular trilogy.

Jackson is already under criticism from some Tolkien fans over liberties taken in the first film, "The Fellowship Of The Ring,'' which opened Wednesday to $18.2 million in ticket sales across North America.

He said Thursday that there would be further departures from the author's plot in the next two films.

Jackson said starting with the second picture, "The Two Towers,'' moviegoers can expect to see expanded roles for several characters.

"Some (parts) are slightly bigger in some instances,'' Jackson said, citing expanded roles for Rohan King Theoden and his nephew Eomer.

In "The Fellowship Of The Ring,'' the biggest change was the invention of an enemy warrior called Lurtz, but this had been known and anticipated for a long time.

Jackson said rough cuts already had been made of the second and third films. The "Two Towers'' will be released at Christmas 2002. The third, "Return Of The King,'' is set for screening around Christmas of the following year.

-- JAM! Movies