Thread: Does anybody know...

Does anybody know...

About the following training methods and if they do more harm than good.

Frog Hops, Duck Walks, and Rice Punching

I heard it somewhere that frog hops and duck walks are bad for you, I still do them but I was seeking clarity ... Is this a myth or the truth.

I read it somewhere that there are nerve centres all over your body, and in your fingertips, and if iron fist training is done incorrectly it might cause severe damage. Well , this isnt really about Iron Palm training to the full extent that requires dit da jow or other linaments to be used before and after. What I really wanna ask is : Does punching (with a fist, closed hand) into rice have any potential serious dangers ?, Does it require linament?
    Does punching sand require a linament?
    Also I do bagwork mostly without gloves , because i think gloves are for sissies...(joke) but I think barehanded conditions the hands better ? Any insight?

Report this post to a moderator | IP: Logged

12-19-2001 03:51 PM

Duck walks are supposed to help build up leg strength, balance, flexibility and coordination. Personally, it bothers my knees so I don't do them.

Frog hops I'm assuming are the singular variety (where you don't leap over anyone). This is kind of a plyometric exercise gone soft. Personally, I'd do squat jumps (no hands). It'll help you keep your spine erect, as people tend to lean forward when doing frog hops.

I don't know anything about punching rice.

Robin
    Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

starchaser

Western practioners tend to bend their knees so that their buttocks are no lower than the knees, ummm that is, not too low. It is more difficult this way, but it is not as contra-indicated. This of course for both duckwalks and jumps.

Many teachers in the past emphasise on stabbing into air, and holding the 'stab' while mindfully bringing energy into the tips of the fingers, before bagwork. But I am totally ignorant of the actual bagwork so.... errr sorry mate
    Last edited by prana; 12-19-2001 at 06:03 PM.

i found duck walk really useful for not only leg strength but also the ability to keep your waist/chest/breath relaxed while training.
    probably best to check your form and make sure the knees aren't misaligned too much

i would also definitely recommend mindfulness when doing any iron palm/fist stuff, incl rice punching (sort of like prana said)
    I always do that before and after iron palm and it helps me ( i always use linament too)...but i can't speak for everyone
    __________________________________________________ __________ "I'm just trying to lull you into a genuine sense of security!"

What are duck walks? (Don't have to explain if you can't really put it in words).......Frog jumps are pretty useful to me, but that really is your choice, I wouldn't think it harms that much, I havent' been noticing anything, except for sometimes I might lose my balance and fall.

Originally posted by iron thread
    What are duck walks? (Don't have to explain if you can't really put it in words).......Frog jumps are pretty useful to me, but that really is your choice, I wouldn't think it harms that much, I havent' been noticing anything, except for sometimes I might lose my balance and fall.
    Duck walk is where you are balanced on your toes, then you squat your butt as deep as you can and without rasing up you walk in that position. Duckwalk is a great quad and hip builder and I drill soccer players with that a lot.
    Bruce