Thread: How do you guys train

How do you guys train

How do you guys train in your kwoon. Do you do sets of ten of your techniques, do you have a set pattern that you do continuosly at a medium pace.
    Which do you prefer(for thos that have done both)
    Also, to the Sifu's on the board which method do you find students to respond to better.

Forms, do you guys go all the way throught the forms and then work on trouble spots or do you go through each movement and have you sifu correct you posture/stances.

Shaolin36

When I'm training by myself I have a set structure and pattern I adhere to. For kata I do them all in sequence once and then go back and work on problem areas. Included in the workout is bagwork, kihon and going over self-defense movements. Finally, I do my bo katas.
    K. Mark Hoover

Warm up.

a couple or three techniques to be repeated around 40 50 times total to get a clue.

about 30 minutes of straight full speed sparring.

Well It differs everday, I like to keep my students fresh with different things on different days. We do have the standard things like punches and such but if you do the same things for a warm up it gets monotanous. but our work outs vary form the 8 punches 300-500 each, endurance stances 1- 3 minutes each watch out rounds, rocking push- ups horse stance training
    ( everyones favorite)

For correcting forms I do not like to interup their flow when they are trying to learn fluidity of motion so I just watch and remember what needs to be corrected and tell them when they finish. It seems to w9rk better letting them get all the way through it before you stop them and say ... lift with the hand and step back here and so on. and alot of times towards the end of class, i will have them pull the mats out and show them a throw or a joint lock or application to something they havent seen before and they always enjoy that. I remember always wanting to see higher level stuff when I was training and my shrfu " being real chinese" always said later, later.... and later never came. it was his polite way of saying NO.. that one word I have never told my students....
    http://www.kungfuUSA.net

Thanks for the thoughts fellas, It seems as though doing sets is more widely used as opposed to doing the techniques continously for a set amount of time.

Shaolin36

Training

In class we do warmups and conitioning, then do sets together, with people sitting out if they don't know them.

By myself I like to do each set two or three times in order of when I learned them. I wilk work on sections of each one after completeing the last repetition if I feel there are some areas I'm not getting right.

Lately I've been bad and the forms I have "down" I have not been practicing as much.
    "I believe that, in a stupid society, intelligence is useless." - Shen Congwen (My Education)

We have a set warm up with stances and stretching. It's kept the same so anyone can lead the warm ups.

For solo practice work, we do forms one day and break down techniques the next. We look at the forms to see what techniques need breaking down.

When I instruct, I always let the student finish the form, then we go back and fix the rough spots--one at a time until they have it down.

Robin
    Surrender yourself to nature and be all that you are.

We start with what we call warm ups which is really like a boot camp work out without the drill sargent clling you names. Then we sparr till we can move for a while then forms or weapons then qigong.
    Hung Sing Martial Arts Association
    Self Protection, Self Confidence, Physical Fitness
    www.HungSingChoyLayFut.com

Martial Arts Training and fitness Blog
    http://hungsingmartialarts.blogspot.com/

Always, warm ups, stretching, cardio, and strength (I'm using body weight currently)

Then I'll pick about 4 techs to work on for a 3 month period and drill them. One of my current tech's is neck surround. I try to train it 2-3 times a week and the tech training includes:

Form work, running the single posture for about 10 minutes (5 soft and slow, 3 medium, 2 all out) I'll run the form about 20 times each side on the rope pulley. I hold the following stances for that throw: 3 flats, Rhino gazing at moon, and front stance. I like to finish my throw training with a few break falls and some belt cracking.

I'm also training my straight body punch currently. The workout consists of 10 reps of kuas exercises on both sides. 10 reps of torquing out the ball of my rear foot. line walking (I use Taiji's "Step w/ parry and punch in the same format as above slow, mid, hard). Next I get back on the rope pulley and run out 20 reps pre side to work my body mechanics. Work the bag for about 50-75 shots per side and cool down.

I do my "traditional" training, currently Iron body and about to start Iron Palm at night before I go to bed.

This is usually my Mon, Thurs. I do the same on Wed, Fri but am working Diagonal Cut as my throw and a looping overhand (Trans between "Diagonal Whip" and "Fist under Elbow"

On Wed and Saturday I like to play around. I'm currently working the Thai Roundhouse, a few elbows, and a couple throws, but not seriously. I'm also planning on getting back into BJJ in January so that will be my Sturday at least. Sunday is clas wth the masochist's
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon