Thread: What exactly are forms?

Question What exactly are forms?

This probably sounds like the stupidist(nice word eh?) question...but someone said something on the northern praying mantis forum, are they ALL fighting techniques? or is there something else about them?
    "True victory is giving all of yourself without regret"-Ryu (SF Alpha3)

"U don't wait -- if u feel it's going 2 go violent ... strike ... strike often ... strike till he drops ... can always apologize later if u were wrong."-Ginger Fist

They involve fighting techniques, trapping techniques, grappling techniques, sweeping techniques, mental techniques, blocking techniques, striking techniques, etc.
    K. Mark Hoover

forms are a way of practicing the prinicples of your style. take the single whip in taiji, for example. there are numerous applications of it. Forms give you a framework to work with.
    i'm nobody...i'm nobody. i'm a tramp, a bum, a hobo... a boxcar and a jug of wine... but i'm a straight razor if you get to close to me.

-Charles Manson

I will punch, kick, choke, throw or joint manipulate any nationality equally without predjudice.

- Shonie Carter

Forms are not only fighting techniques. Forms are made to be used as a training device. To train different aspects and muscle groups. For example, our Tiger form build alot of streanght in the legs. with powerful, low stances done in a kinda slow, tiring way. Crane builds speed and accuracy, it is the perfection of body movement and body control. Panther is similar to Tiger but fast, dynamic more agressive I think...

etc etc..

Weapon forms usually tend to be ONLY fighting techniques, but this is what I have experienced in my weapon training so far.

There are forms that is designed for health. Look at Taiji and the main benefit is health, and that is what u learn first. The martial side of it takes a LONG time to learn.
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

Forms are great, but u cant learn how to fight ONLY doing forms. On the flip side, I hink that u can be a lot BETTER at fighting if your style include forms training.

That, and they impress chicks!
    All right now, son, I want you to get a good night's rest. And remember, I could murder you while you sleep.
    Hey son, I bought you a puppy today after work. But then I killed it and ate it! Hahah, I´m just kidding. I would never buy you a puppy.

"Three witches watch three Swatch watches. Which witch watch which Swatch watch?"

"Three switched witches watch three Swatch watch switches. Which switched witch watch which Swatch watch switch?."

Yeah, a lot of the top MMA fighters do forms.

P.S. Oh, and weapon work also improves the attributes of the student to a good degree, body awareness, speed, flow, focus, attack-based mindset.......
    Regards