Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Idiots Guide to Buddhism?

Sharky Guest

Idiots Guide to Buddhism?

Firstly, i don't think i'll be becoming a buddhist any time soon. I'd just like to buy a cheap simple book from amazon.com or someething about buddhism, but a really easy to read one - it can be deep, but just not unenjoyable to read.

Any recommendations?

All i wanted was some RICE CAKES! Now? WE MUST BATTLE.

[This message was edited by Sharky on 11-10-01 at 07:39 PM.]

Ryu Guest
    I like
    "Taming the Monkey Mind"

That one was pretty good. And easy to understand.

Ryu

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Sharky Guest
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...527785-7971663

it's only 6 quid or so, i might just get it now

Sharky Guest
    anyone else?

Kung Lek Guest
    How about the "big picture book of buddhism"?

Believe it or not, I am serious here :D

Ok, ok, it's not actually called "big picture book" but it does have a lot of pictures and a basic rundown of what it is, where it started, a little about the different schools and so on.

Great for anyone who is interested in a superficial look at Buddhism.

so, here's the skinny.

Title: Buddhism
    Author: Bernard Faure
    isbn:1-56852-188-x

it really is a pretty decent pictorial introduction.

peace

Kung Lek

Martial Arts Links

Sharky Guest
    hey, i'm not that thick!

Kung Lek Guest

you prolly won't find it at amazon but....

http://shop.barnesandnoble.com/OopBo...=2805262368718

Barnes and Noble usually has what they don't.

Anyway, Bernard Faure is a good writer on the subject of buddhism, has several publications that have been translated to english and even has a book about Northern Chan practice and some good pictures from inside the Shaolin temple that you don't normally see without 100 kids in a horse stance and instead, just day to day stuff from the temple and of course many other places that have temples and buddhist practices etc.

peace

Kung Lek

Martial Arts Links

HuangKaiVun Guest
    You don't need a book, you don't need instruction, you don't need anything.

Just sit.

Kung Lek Guest
    hahahahahaha, huang, now, you go tell that to your violin teacher and see what is said :D

everyone needs an introduction to anything, including their own life, the languages we speak and all else that is worthwhile.

now, what's up with the lemon routine? :D

peace

Kung Lek

Martial Arts Links

Sam Wiley Guest
    You can download the Dhammapada on the net, and that's a pretty good example of Buddhist teachings. Just do a search for it and you should find one soon enough.

I'd also say that the Dalai Lama's books should be a pretty good example of Buddhist teachings in relation to modern times. There are a couple of his books I rather like. You should be able to find his books in most good book stores.

GunnedDownAtrocity Guest
    hey sharky,

read the tao of pooh.

i know you asked for books on buhdism, but this is a real simple book that says a whole fu cking lot.

take you two hours to read it if you read kinda slow like me and you'll read it more than once ... it's a cool fu cking book.

i'll say more about it when im not sloppy drunk.

where's my beer?

soy Guest
    Go to everything2.com and look under buddhism, zen, taoism etc. You'll find far better opinions and information in general on there than you will in some commie published book.

HuangKaiVun Guest
    Kung Lek, you don't understand.

CLOUD ONE Guest

Huang?

Do you understand???

shaolinboxer Guest

Huang may understand

You can read about methods for trying to practice, and you can read about the different sects, and different ways of breathing or sitting or walking.

But chances are, when you've been practicing, you've tasted it already. Meditation does not require sitting. It requires presence in the moment.

Anyway, I'll say Three Pillars of Zen as recommended reading that will draw you futher from the truth of it ;).