Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Idiots Guide to Buddhism?

Piccolo Junior Guest
    <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by GunnedDownAtrocity:
    hey sharky,

read the tao of pooh.

i know you asked for books on buhdism, but this is a real simple book that says a whole fu cking lot.

take you two hours to read it if you read kinda slow like me and you'll read it more than once ... it's a cool fu cking book.

i'll say more about it when im not sloppy drunk.
    [/quote]

I disagree, I've read the Tao of Pooh, it is about secular (as opposed to religious) Daoism, not Buddhism. Infact, the author insults Buddhism during the "vinegar tasters" metaphor. I know alot of people like that book, but I thought it was pretty juvenile and shallow.

"It is necessary to drink alcohol and pursue other fun human activities. The art of someone who is too serious has no flavour."- Choki Motobu

Ryu Guest
    There's also different kinds of Buddhism
    Some put emphasis on sutra recitation more than meditation, etc.

the "be still in the moment" kind of things is a Theravada type teaching. Not that it's bad.
    I'm very influenced by Theravada Buddhism. :)
    But there's other schools, just like in Christianity.

Ryu

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

Ryu Guest
    LOL,
    Piccolo you know I have to ask! ;)

After the down-to-earth, Buddhist, "don't wanna be juvenile and shallow" type of posts you do
    (and that's not sarcastic, I do think your posts are like that. I like em :D )

What is up with your sig???????? LOL
    Everytime I see that sig follow a good post of yours they almost seem to contradict one another! :D

I'm not insulting you or anything, I just thought it was kinda funny considering the quote gives little thought to the subjectivity of what someone might think is "fun"
    ;)

Ryu

"One who takes pride in shallow knowledge or understanding is like a monkey who delights in adorning itself with garbage."

HuangKaiVun Guest
    Lyle understands - PERFECTLY.

apoweyn Guest
    Huang,

That may address attaining understanding. But it doesn't actually address the question.

The original poster said that he wasn't going to become a buddhist anytime soon. Just that he wanted to read about it. Just sitting doesn't answer that question.

With any body of wisdom, there's a difference between learning about it and doing it. Doing it is good, but it doesn't invalidate the desire to learn about it.

Take Daoism. Same argument could be made. Could we understand daoism by taking a nap under a tree? Perhaps. Would that satisfy the desire to learn about the people, places, and forces that contributed to its evolution? Nope.

Those are two very different questions. Experience vs. information. And I don't think you're answering the one at hand.

Respectfully,

Stuart B.

Kung Lek Guest
    Books are excellent introductions to any school of thought.

Sitting in itself teaches nothing. It is an act than can be regarded as beneficial, but sitting ha little to do with what Buddhism is.

Buddhism is a rich riligion and philosophy that serves as a guide to one's living and dying here on this plain. There are huge sutras (texts) that explain what to do for the novices and neophytes.

My one experienece regarding the teachinghs of the buddha is that to me, the entire essence is delivered in his very first sermon. All else that followed was details to fill in any gaps for those who failed to understand the original dissertation.

Buddhism evolved from Hinduism - can that be learned from sitting?

Buddhima has many schools of thought regarding it's own meaning and existance - can that be learned from sitting?

The patriarchs of these many schools contributed much to the overall practice of buddhism - can you learn what was contributed by sitting.

Huang, Jesus once was asked "why do you teach with parrabels?"
    to which he replied "because you give meat to the strong and milk to the babes."

Understand? :D

peace

Kung Lek

Martial Arts Links

Piccolo Junior Guest

Ryu

I just like the quote.

"It is necessary to drink alcohol and pursue other fun human activities. The art of someone who is too serious has no flavour."- Choki Motobu

Fish of Fury Guest

sharky

in all sincerity, i love the asiapac comic series for an easy to read intro to all aspects of eastern thought etc., by Tsai Chih Chung
    eg. "sayings of buddha" and many others

(don't get the "shaolin temple" one though, it sux IMO)

i have another book which is like from a "100 key concepts of..." series.
    unfortunately i've lent it out and cant remember the name etc., but it's a great overview with 100 pages, each with a summary of a concept in buddhism.so it's short and simple but not too shallow.
    if i find the title i'll post it.

__________________________________________________ _________________________ "I'm just trying to lull you into a genuine sense of security!"

prana Guest

The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying - Sogyal Rinponche

This books covers many meditations from the very first practise of compassion to the highest level of Vajrayana in a very introductory way, and the reasons for practising them.

kungfu cowboy Guest

I really liked this book:

Buddhism Made Plain
    by Antony Fernando with Leonard Swidler
    revised edition

Well written, and made buddhism plain! :)

GeneChing Guest

Old Path, White Clouds: the life story of the Buddha, by Thich Nhat Hanh

It was highly recommended to me by a Zen nun during a retreat - She thought that it was all that a lay practitioner needed. It's definately a great starting point...

Gene Ching
    Asst. Publisher
    Kungfu Qigong Magazine & www.KUNGFUmagazine.com

shaolinboxer Guest
    "Sitting in itself teaches nothing. It is an act than can be regarded as beneficial, but sitting ha little to do with what Buddhism is."

These teachings that you are advocating....all of the reading and different schools...are facts, opinions, expressions, beliefs...but not buddhism itself.

Buddhism is not buddhism.

Sitting does not teach anything, but there is nothing to learn.

Kung Lek Guest
    Yes well, let's get all metaphysical and esoteric about it then shall we?

yeesh.

That's the trouble with "mysticism". It is just a bunch of garbage for someone who wants to learn about a practice.

A basic rundown of the teachings and the seperate schools can be found in a book or in many books.

The actual action of becoming enlightened is completely in the realm of the individuals ability to do so. And most certainly one doesn't need to practice "Buddhism" to attain enlightenment, one merely has to understand themselves from the inside out and the outside in.

Now, where do you start? Hmmmmmn, I think I'll start by stopping. :D

peace

Kung Lek

Martial Arts Links

ttt 4 2016!

Buddhism Could Now Be the 2nd Largest Spiritual Path with 1.6 Billion or 22% of the World’s Population According to Some Recent Studies

Buddhism has never been a “propagation” spirituality. Actively seeking out “converts” is discouraged for the most part. Individual spirituality is emphasized more than group activities. Some people don’t even think of Buddhism as a “religion”—certainly not an organized religion with dogma. So, it is with sense of optimism—without pride or attachment?—that we report the latest estimates of Buddhist population worldwide at over 1.6 billion, now closing in on a quarter of the population.

Why optimism? Because, it’s remarkable that a spirituality and philosophy with no central authority, no rigid dogma and no mission to proselytize, can never-the-less quietly grow. It’s not a matter of pride, but one of inspiration and hope.

This may be an optimistic number, given 2010 estimates around 500 million, and I’m the first to doubt this number. I believe the real number is somewhere between the low estimates of 500 million or so (in 2010), and the 1.6 Billion being floated today. Nevertheless, with China’s sudden re-embracing of Buddhism, and considering their population, the number is feasible.

The Jade Buddha Temple in Shanghai.

China Officially Supports Buddhism

Clearly, the return of active spirituality in China accounts for the surge in estimates from 7% or 488 million Buddhists [1], only a few years ago, to today’s estimates of 1.6 billion or 22% of the world’s people. China, only a few years ago, was attributed a mostly non-spiritual status. Now, with freedoms returning, there are over 28,000 Buddhist monasteries, 16,000 temples and 240,000 Buddhist monks and nuns. 80% of the Chinese population, just over 1 billion, now—according to some estimates—call themselves lay Buddhists.

If you believe the majority of Chinese are Buddhist—considering Buddhism is now officially supported in China and their active program to rebuild temples—then the 1.6 billion estimate seems at least possible. Previous studies, prior to official support, estimated China’s Buddhist population at only 244,130,000. [3]

A typical ceremony with Chinese Buddhist monks.

Numbers Just Another Label

So which is it? The conservative estimate indicated in 2010 studies at just about half a billion, or the 1.6 Billion, now estimated by some studies in 2014? It doesn’t really matter, of course. Numbers are just a label of another kind. The number is just a matter of curiosity or interest, nothing more.

Russia Embraces Buddhism?

A Buddhist temple is now being constructed in Moscow, the Russian capital, for the first time, signaling the countries openness to diverse spiritualities. The temple is scheduled to be completed by 2017. The temple will have it’s own library, a cinema, a five meter statue of the Buddha and will have a clinic for Tibetan Buddhist medicine. [4]

Russia and China’s sudden re-embracing of Buddhism is a hopeful sign of peaceful, organic growth of Buddhism in all its forms worldwide.

Russia will complete construction on an elaborate Buddhist Temple, complete with Tibetan Buddhist Medical clinic, by 2017. This will be the first Buddhist temple in Russia, according to World Religion News.

How do we know?

How do we know this is a reliable estimate? There’s no worldwide census to rely on, but this data is reasonably extrapolated by Dr. Daya Hewapathirane, based on studies published in 2010 and 2013. The shift in numbers (from 6% to 22%) is largely due to the willingness of the Chinese population to now identify with Buddhism. Prior to the mid-1990s , religious affiliations in China may not have been openly declared. Between 1966 and 1976, in particular, religion was discouraged.

Now, China is actually encouraging the promotion of Buddhism, and not just Shaolin monk world tours and tourism. China affirmed its status as the most populous Buddhist nation and “declared its commitment to spearhead and support international initiatives to protect Buddhism and Buddhist culture,” according to Dr. Hewapathirane.

Korea has always been a nation with a large Buddhist population. Today, estimates place the Buddhist population in South Korea a 50%. Pictured: a temple on Jejudo.

Around the World

In addition, Buddhist populations have grown in other countries. Remarkably, over 14 countries have Buddhist populations at more than 50% of citizens. Seven of these countries indicate Buddhism is practiced by 90% of their populations.

The 14 countries with higher than 50% Buddhist populations are:

Cambodia 97%
    Japan 96%
    Thailand 95%
    Taiwan 93%
    Mongolia 93%
    Myanmar 90%
    Hong Kong 90%
    Bhutan 84%
    China 80%
    Vietnam 75%
    Sri Lanka 70%
    Laos 67%
    Singapore 51%
    South Korea 50%
    NOTES

[1] Low estimate according to Adherents.com

[2] “World’s Buddhist Population” Dr. Daya Hewapathirane. Also, information extrapolated from CIA’s World Fact Book

[3] Pew Research 2010

[4] “Moscow’s First Buddhist Temple” World Religion News
    Innerestin. Didn't know about Russia.
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart