Thread: vertical or horizontal punching???

vertical or horizontal punching???

Any thoughts on which is the best way to deliver a punch, or do you combine the two ?

Are there particular pro's and con's of each?

thanks for your views.

wild child

We do both in some of our external stuff. I think both are useful at the right times.
    I would use a blue eyed, blond haired Chechnyan to ruin you- Drake on weapons

Sometimes it's better to use a vertical fist. Sometimes it's better to use a horizontal fist. There's not much more to it.

We use both. I've always found that my wrist feels somehow sturdier and better aligned when I use a horizontal punch at levels below my sternum, vertical punch at levels sternum and higher.

I'm not sure why this is... it might just be psychological.
    "All that just to save a baby with a really funky tupee. I'm pretty sure that Val Kilmer was actually drunk during that movie, and who could blame him with that weird baby and the naked old lady turning into a marmet? "
    -----KC Elbows

What about the punch that's halfway between vertical and horizontal? We use that one too.
    Basically, my opinion is that in Kung Fu, you keep the elbows down when possible. So vertical is the logical option. As you punch to a lower target, it may be more natural to go with the flatter fist.
    -FJ

Cool

It all depends on where your are punching,which punch your better at,which one your most comfortable with.

For a jab thrust punch to the face,chest area,I use a horizontal punch. (to the throat a horizontal panther strike)If I'm throwing a quick hook punch to the side of the head or rib cage area I'll use a vertical fist.

Also which one do you practice more or favor.
    I feel more comfortable and favor the horizontal punch, but I'm good at both.
    Honest Neutral Clarity

I'm pretty much strictly vertical. Of course, my punches are designed to do specific things. If you know "why" you're punching, the question will probably answer itself.
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Vertical Vs Horizontal

I think we have went over these before. You might want to do a search in the old posts.

Anyway, a breif recap.

Horizontal- great for "cutting" and generally powerful outside lines and centerline.

Vertial- great for trapping (speed and efficiency wise) and best to work with the centerline.

Mantis108
    Contraria Sunt Complementa

對敵交手歌訣

凡立勢不可站定。凡交手須是要走。千着萬着﹐走為上着﹐進為高着﹐閃賺騰挪為
    妙着。

CCK TCPM in Yellowknife

TJPM Forum

If you make a full extension of your arm I think you will find the horizontal punch lines up the arm better to withstand and dish out force.

At a shorter range, more than 90degrees but less than 180 you will likely find that a verticle fist provides for a more propper body alignment.

JWT
    If you pr!ck us, do we not bleed? If you poison us, do we not die? And if you wrong us, shall we not revenge? If we are like you in the rest, we will resemble you in that the villany you teach me, I will execute, and it shall go hard but I will better the instruction. MOV

i had a thread on this before!

horizontal to me is deadlier because of the corkscrew method when dealing with dim mak striking.

JWT s correct
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

Wing chun is better known for its vertical punch and its linear strikes. But wing chun has also circular strikes like the hook or comet punch. The horizontal punch is used when doing circular strikes like a hook or a comet punch.
    Defend where there is no attack; attack where there is no defense.

Attack is the secret of defense; defense is the planning of an attack.