Thread: shaolin long fist?

shaolin long fist?

are there 2 styles of long fist?

because the forms that shaolin monks teach like xiao hong Quen and Da hong Quen are different than forms that i know forms like lien bu Quen and gungli Quen
    styles i do
    white crane master Ang lian huat lineage

shaolin long fist: ymaa

Actually, there are a LOT of different types of Long Fist. Many of them are not even Shaolin Long Fist, Like Tong Bei (although to add to your confusion, Shaolin has a Long Fist style called Tong bei too).

Some are called Shaolin, when they are not, such as Moslem Long Fist.

Others are mixes of Shaolin Long Fist and other things.

So if you are seeing many different flavors, it is because there are many different long fist styles.

Look into the history of yours, you may eventually find out it is not a Shaolin system at all, OR is a mixed bag. It could be anything really. Just because a style calls itself Shaolin, does not make it so.

[EDIT]
    Ahh, I see you do the nanjing Long Fist!! (ymaa) That was developed at the Nanjing KuoShuo academy, and isn't necessarily Shaolin at all. it's developed from Shandong Long Fist styles if I have my history correct.

That means there may be some Shaolin influence (because Shaolin martial arts got spread there in the 1700's), but it's probably closer to the Moslem Long Fist styles like Cha Fist and similar styles.

Do a Youtube search on those arts and see if you can find ones that are most like what you do. That will tell you roughly where your system was most derived from.
    Last edited by Royal Dragon; 07-30-2008 at 11:30 AM.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

thanks for the help Royal Dragon rely appreciated
    styles i do
    white crane master Ang lian huat lineage

shaolin long fist: ymaa

Ya know when I started taking long fist 2yrs ago. I researched some of the lineages.

What I found is that, any northern style, not classified as Shaolin (Songhshan) curriculum or any of the Northern Animal form (Northern Tiger, Ying Jow Pai, etc) is considered long fist. I also found that Hong Chuan has fallen under the long fist umbrella.

Basically, Long Fist is a generalization of northern kung fu styles as I understood it. So most, not all, long fist styles will have Tan Tui, Lien Bu Chuan, and Gung Li Chuan. I say most cause my current school does not teach Tan Tui. Actually the school I go to goes off to a path outside of Chin Woo/Nanjing/Kousho curriculum. We do teach Lien Bu Chuan and Gung Li Chuan. After that we take more of a Hong Chuan curriculum I believe that is due to our lineage leading up to Fan Chi Sau.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

So most, not all, long fist styles will have Tan Tui, Lien Bu Chuan, and Gung Li Chuan.

Reply]
    I wouldn't say that. Although the Long Fist styles those sets belong too are rather popular, they are only particular to a small number of systems. Most Long Fist styles don't actually have those sets.
    Those that are the most sucessful are also the biggest failures. The difference between them and the rest of the failures is they keep getting up over and over again, until they finally succeed.

For the Women:

+ = & a

Yeah. Ours do not have Tan Tui.

Like I said "not all"

Or perhaps I should clarify further that Long Fist coming from Kousho and Chin Woo will have these sets. Or perhaps most, not all, Long Fist taught in the US.
    Last edited by xcakid; 07-31-2008 at 02:12 PM.
    Master of Shaolin I-Ching Bu Ti, GunGoPow and I Hung Wei Lo styles.

I am seeking sparring partner. Any level. Looking for blondes or redhead. 5'2" to 5'9". Between 115-135 weight class. Females between 17-30 only need apply. Will extensively work on grappling.

Yeah, that would be better. Those sets seem specific to those two lines only. There is a lot of it in the US for sure, but ultimately they are only two lines out of hundreds of Long Fist systems.

For the Women:

+ = & a