Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: PiGua Quan

What? Well, I'm curious and I do want to know

about the style and UI'm determined to learn the names of the forms.
    If that makes me a needy fu cker, ok.
    For your part, you seem a bit (unnecessarily) rude.
    Last edited by carly; 12-30-2002 at 09:16 PM.

"you seem a bit (unnecessarily) rude"

.... yeah .....
    where's my beer?

I could translate but it seems odd!!! they don't seem to be forms as there are names of styles/systems and it seems to be a bag of mixed lollies with little cohesion : for example

Baguazhang
    Xing Yi Quan
    TaiJi Quan
    Shaolin Quan
    Mian Quan (Cotton Fist) :another name for taiji.
    Yan Qing Quan : After the Hero Yan Qing
    Mi Zong Quan (Lost Track Fist) : Another name for Yan Qing Quan.

Do thewriters of thesiteknowwhat they are writing.
    etc...to me it seems meaningless and the assumption that they are forms is incorrect. Maybe find a clearer list.

Shaolin master

Interesting. Thank you so much for your help. I'm getting less curious about that style all the time.

Wu Song Quan, Erlang Quan

I am by no means very knowledgeable about this lineage of Tai Shing Pek Kwa. I have heard from people that Kan Tak Hoi, one of the founders/elders of the system traded forms with other stylists. In the article in Kung Fu Magazine delineating the techniques and history of "Wu Song Breaks Manacles Fist" form, they detail how the form was taught to Kan Tak Hoi by another exponent of the Wusong system. I may be off, but something like that.

So any diversity in the system may (or may not) come from trading of forms a few generations ago. I am sure someone here may know more about it.

I was told by a friend that that particular listing I gave you described "Wu Song Breaks Manacles" and "Erlang Quan" (Fist of Erlang God). These names also match with names of forms I practice. My Wu Song form bears no resemblance to theirs and I still need to see their ErLang Quan to compare.

Any further information would be interesting.

Cheers

Buddhapalm
    "In heaven and earth no spot to hide;
    Bliss belongs to one that knows that things
    are empty and that man too is nothing.
    Splendid indeed is the Mongol longsword
    Slashing the spring wind like a flash of lightning !"

Monk Wu-hsueh Tsu-yuan - Reciting as the Mongol sabers slashed towards him. The Mongols spared him out of respect. For no ordinary man recites a poem facing death.

yeah

It does seem like there are maybe some other things added to the system, like a northern Shaolin/Long Fist element, as well as Pigua.

form

There are different uses of the word "form"

On the Tai Shing Pek Kwar page, the link says "hand forms". Looking at the still photos, obviously the usage is the "form" of the hand, not necessarily an entire form as in a series of moves.

Another use is for a short series of moves. As in "Tai Chi 24 forms".

These people, just like the Paulie Zink camp, are secretive about the actual monkey or "Tai Shing" part of the art. I doubt you would get a forms listing because of that, although they do share the Pek Kwar and other borrowed styles.

Hope this helps

yes, and thanks

I was wondering about the tao lu or kune forms, the hand forms, of their pigua, not their secret monkey stuff.
    I just wanted to see what their pi kwa had in common with the mainland and Taiwan schools of pi kwa.
    I'm not interested in secretive, hyped stuff. Unforunately, I'm a grown up
    Last edited by carly; 01-02-2003 at 07:44 PM.

so I've received no reply from the school so far

Does this mean you have to buy one of their tape series to get a reply? Anyone know?
    Last edited by carly; 01-12-2003 at 02:50 PM.

It is true that Si Tai Gong Kan Tak Hoi learned other forms, but they are not really Tai Shing Pek Kwar. Si Gong Chan knows a lot of forms and techniques. A lot of it isn't TSPK, but he teaches it because he feels it helps the student.
    For traditional kung fu go to http://www.taishingpekkwar.com

hi richie - thanks

Wouldn't whatever he knew automatically become part of the system - he is the system at this point.
    Are you one of his students?

richie - one more thing

Can you name the Pek Kwar fist forms in the system?

Where ever I Am; today, West Virginia, US of A, NA, N of EUdMexico
    Blog Entries
    carly, I used Buddhapalm link to the page I think you were trying to present when you went Ahem.

There were thirty-nine phrases near the top. There were some framed images in two columns after that.

One called Shaolin Master said that there was:

Baguazhang
    Xing Yi Quan
    TaiJi Quan
    Shaolin Quan
    Mian Quan (Cotton Fist) :another name for taiji.
    Yan Qing Quan : After the Hero Yan Qing
    Mi Zong Quan (Lost Track Fist) : Another name for Yan Qing Quan.

I wondered which number phrase was each of these names...i.e. TaiJiQuan was the nineth phrase...
    Last edited by No_Know; 02-09-2003 at 03:04 PM.
    There are four lights... impulse...all donations can be sent at PayPal.com to qumpreyndweth@juno.com; vurecords.com

I've given up on this

the site doesn't seem to be active.
    That seems to be a list of various styles rather than of forms.

TSPK

Hi Carly,
    I was wondering why you wanted to know the listing of Pek Kwar forms ?

I myself wish to know too, just in the offchance that some of my forms are Pek Kwar forms, or shared forms of their school.

You know there is a listing of PekKwar (Pigua) forms on another site. Features Black Tiger Fist, Wind Demon Staff and others. Do you want me to find the link for you ?

I have had very little luck from TSPK site. Was told to buy the tapes and I can compare, otherwise no assistance really.

TSPK has two site, one is active and one inactive.

There are some Pigua VCD's available now from China. I purchased the Miao Dao and sampler ones. Looks like my Miao Dao routine a little. I am sure I have some PeKKwar/Pigua in my schools curriculum.

Cheers

Buddhapalm
    "In heaven and earth no spot to hide;
    Bliss belongs to one that knows that things
    are empty and that man too is nothing.
    Splendid indeed is the Mongol longsword
    Slashing the spring wind like a flash of lightning !"

Monk Wu-hsueh Tsu-yuan - Reciting as the Mongol sabers slashed towards him. The Mongols spared him out of respect. For no ordinary man recites a poem facing death.