Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 210111213 LastLast

Thread: New Years Resolutions

2013: day 2

Quote Originally Posted by Punch.HeadButt View Post
    Find a new home.
    Yea, me too, brudda.

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    Start 2014 with "Dr." in front of my name.
    Dr. ake?
    Gene Ching
    Publisher www.KungFuMagazine.com
    Author of Shaolin Trips
    Support our forum by getting your gear at MartialArtSmart

Quote Originally Posted by Drake View Post
    Information Technology. BS in IT, MS in Information System Engineering, and starting my comps in January for my PhD in IT, focusing on IA and security.
    Command Line Gong Fu Disciple!

I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by GeneChing View Post
    Yea, me too, brudda.

Dr. ake?
    I try to keep my goals reasonable.
    The weakest of all weak things is a virtue that has not been tested in the fire.
    ~ Mark Twain

Everyone has a plan until they’ve been hit.
    ~ Joe Lewis

A warrior may choose pacifism; others are condemned to it.
    ~ Author unknown

"You don't feel lonely.Because you have a lively monkey"

"Ninja can HURT the Spartan, but the Spartan can KILL the Ninja"

Quote Originally Posted by mightyb View Post
    anybody have any martial art resolutions they'd like to post? You know, things you'd like to accomplish in the next year.
    ttt.........

this year, concentrate on the open-hand forms in 7*.
    which means to relearn the ones that I forgot, and learn the ones I have left to learn.

I've been looking into pistol disarms - they aren't taught in the system, but there's enough of them online to practice a few. I've found 3 front facing ones that work about 80% of the time against a resisting opponent.
    I'd like to buy a chalk knife then practice knife defense, but not like tcma - more like against a thug who's trying to shank me. The goal would be to find a couple of defensive tactics that work against a person who's intent on cutting me in the most efficient way possible which would be more like a shank attack rather than the big looping stuff you see in most martial arts. Not that I intend to be in a prison riot or confronted by a gun wielding thug, but in my world view - martial arts training should address the likely weapons and tactics that you'd see in real life.

I'd also like to pick up a copy of H. Nishioka's Foot Throws and work on them.

I already failed at my NY resolution...

Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips

Resolutions

I've been thinking about signing up for a martial arts class close to my work and go during lunch.

My boys still go to kung fu class, but I lost interest some time ago. I started running, then entering races... after that running took over my spare time as far as fitness goes.

I miss taking the classes, but I miss the time spent with other people the most. There is no real consistency in the classes, so without the old class mates, it is not the same. I don't mean to blame the school, because in the end it is my fault.

I always found martial arts training better than running, but running has moments of solitude I never found in martial arts. I'm done babbling.

To finish building my stone wall enclosure in the woods (or rather, rock ledge on the slope of a hillside) by the spring. the pictures I showed last year of the site (OT thread: "Interesting New England Sites") were the beginning phase of construction, or the skeleton if you will. Much improvements since then. The Standing Stones are still up that I placed, including the one over 6 ft. high (maybe 7 ft.) I opened up the back of the stone enclosure so that there is a walk-thru gate in the back, which leads to an even higher spot on the ledge, where you can see Look-Out hill in the distance. I made a serpent effigy enclosure (eastern copperhead snake) against a boulder up there too.. the rock that is the snake's head is perfect. But back to the main stone wall enclosure. V 3.0 is going up. I only have pics of V 1.0. I am building the wall up in the back (originally for extra support), so that in the back it will rise up to be a large conical stone mound that rises above one's head level. I also attached a stone chamber to one of the sides of the wall )on the end). It is a pretty permanent structure already. Hopefully I can finish that by the spring, or through the spring.

Also, running. Keep on top of running. I also want to do more jump rope. And, to stay in Kung Fu shape!
    Last edited by MarathonTmatt; 01-12-2017 at 08:33 AM.

new year resolutions are for pansies. real men make blood oath.

Honorary African American
    grandmaster instructor of Wombat Combat The Lost Art of Anal Destruction™®LLC .
    Senior Business Director at TEAM ASSHAMMER consulting services ™®LLC

Quote Originally Posted by bawang View Post
    new year resolutions are for pansies. real men make blood oath.
    can't argue with that. i'm more using this as excuse to say some things than an actual new years resolution. Looking forwards to the spring. never really made resolutions this time of year anyway.

Actually, it would be very nice if US President Barrack Obama would free political prisoner Leonard Peltier before he leaves office (only one more week).

no resolutions per se, but I will keep practicing.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

Quote Originally Posted by MarathonTmatt View Post
    Actually, it would be very nice if US President Barrack Obama would free political prisoner Leonard Peltier before he leaves office (only one more week).
    That is up to the DA on the case because he's convicted of murder of 2 federal agents. And despite numerous appeals and parole hearings which continue to find him guilty as charged. The real ****ing part was his own admissions for what it's worth.

Kind of hard to carte blanche pardon that without definitive evidence that would provide someone with the ability to do so.

In all these years, how much has changed? Those agents are still dead and appeals are getting exhausted.

Obama is gone now and can't do it and somehow I doubt anyone is going to do anything more about it on that fact alone.
    Last edited by David Jamieson; 01-23-2017 at 11:23 AM.
    Kung Fu is good for you.

ttt 4 2018!

Anyone got any? I mean aside from "train more" because that's a no brainer.

I'm still pondering over one for this year.
    Gene Ching
    Author of Shaolin Trips