Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What You Wear

Smile What You Wear

Does what you wear dictate your Chinese Martial Arts Authenticity (sp?)? I had a arguement with a fellow co-worker today and he said if you don't wear authentic Chinese uniforms then your linage is somewhat skewed or something. I don't go out in frog pjs and do traditonal forms.. hell a lot of people in China don't even do that. I have seen many people in contemporary Wushu wear a lot of the silk pj's, but I will reserve my thoughts on that topic... I have seen many Shuai Chiao guys come out in a Judo Uniform.. does that make them Judo or Shuai Chiao??? I have even wrestled in a cheap A$$ gi.. why.. because I couldn't afford the traditional hero-skin. My co-worker wouldn't budge on the thought that you have to wear silk uniforms in order to be authentic.. oh well I guess I am using the forum to blow off steam..

Tell what your what you think??

I think your co-worker is stupid.

That's BullSh!t

My style has a great lineage, but we moved with the times and now train in lightweight T-shirt and trousers/shorts.

Modern materials are better for exercise, esp stretchy ones with lycra etc in. Fit better, closer etc. Freedom of movement, sweat reduction......
    I'm no fabric salesman, but it makes sense, no?
    "Martial Arts will help lead to d@mnation – Yes, d@mnation!"

-Bible Truths.

Co-worker is from Texas though - 50% chance of having a brain

Just kiddin'
    "Martial Arts will help lead to d@mnation – Yes, d@mnation!"

-Bible Truths.

It is not the clothes that make the man great, but the man that makes the clothes great.If the clothes make people authentic then would it not be right to say that someone untrained who put on the clothes would automatically be an amazing fighter?obviously that is not the case.so therefore taking off the clothes would not make an amazing authentic chinese fighter a less competant fighter.clothes are a fashion statement and nothing more, they do not give you great skill when wearing them, nor does your skill leave you when the clothes do.

Those chinese kung fu uniforms were just like every day clothes back then, and now some kung fu people practice in todays everyday clothes, nothing to worry about...
    |) /-\ | | |
    | / \ |_| |__

When I studied with my old Sifu, we would train in every day clothes. He would say, "If you got in a fight, would you be wearing your 'Kung Fu' uniform, or regular clothes?"
    It makes sense to train in the clothes that you most likely will be fighting in, so you can feel comfortable in them when you move. Sweat pants move differently than blue jeans do. And blue jeans move differently then dress slacks. Same for shoes, shirts, etc...I think you get my point.
    I take it your co-worker practices CMA? If not he's an idiot trying to get a rise outta ya!!

Talking DelicateSound's Tragic Death

***This Just In***

DelicateSound gets mauled by a herd of Longhorns ran by a gang of cowboys

heheh

just pokin fun

What WE wear!!!

We wear school shirts (white t-shirt with school name and dragon on the back) and kung fu pants with sashes. And yes, if we were to get in a fight on the street, we would be fighting in our uniforms because they are so comfy, that's what we almost always wear!!!

And, I have silk uniforms....and they are extra comfy!!
    The greatest thing about me is that I know that I am the ONLY one that knows the truth about all! Damo lives within me, and me ONLY - for there is nobody that knows the truth more - so stick that in your pipe and smoke it sparky's!!!

Interesting side note: My first taiji teacher refused to let us train in jeans. It had something to do with learning correct mechanics. He said that once we got it, it didn't matter what we trained. Until then, sweats or khakis. It had something to do with the way jeans are cut
    I have no idea what WD is talking about.--Royal Dragon

I would much rather train in a T-shirt and jogging pants then some gi. Because at least a T-shirt and jogging pants are closer to what I would wear on the street than some gi. But I wouldn't want to train in what I normally wear.(what and get my woderful clothes all dirty,and sweaty? They do cost a lot,after all I'm still young and I like to look good when I go out with chicks!)

YUMMY

Wushu chick in silk! GGGGGGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

I train in Chinatown with the disciple of the disciple of the founder of Ba Gua -- we wear whatever the hell we want. "Traditional" gung-fu works, in real life. Pajama arts work in point sparring and form compititions. Colored belts are a great trick for Aemricans. Here's a colored sash, pay me. Pay me for a year, and I'll give you another color, teach you another form.

Let your hands speak for themselves.
    Stillness in the heart of motion.

In the dojang I wear a middle or heavy weight gi. When practicing outside of class I wear black middle weight gi pants and a t-shirt or sweat shirt. The gi material is tough and I don't wants to get blood on my street clothes. As far as it not being what I wear on the street I wear so many different styles of clothes depending upon my client. Lately it's jeans, next week it could be my Brooks Brothers suit and wing tips. I will try a few kicks and punches just to remember where something may restrict me and to get used to the grip of the shoes.

Sometimes Westerners are funny about wanting to look the part of the "Asian warrior", more so than the Asians.
    I quit after getting my first black belt because the school I was a part of was in the process of lowering their standards A painfully honest KC Elbows

The crap that many schools do is not the crap I was taught or train in or teach.

Dam nit... it made sense when it was running through my head.

DM

People love Iron Crotch. They can't get enough Iron Crotch. We all ride the Iron Crotch for the exposure. Gene

Find the safety flaw in the training. Rory Miller.

Nothing wrong with wearing traditional garb what so ever. But to deam someones art as somewhat incomplete because they don't, is, well, stupid MA talk.

Many are too caught up in the flash -- forms, uniforms, and twirling weapons -- and not the heart of the matter. It nearly broke my heart to watch the National Martial Arts Championshops on ESPN the other day. These guys were holding their pole in the middle (reducing a long pole to two short sticks) and doing cartwheels. The guy who one was a joke! I would have loved to been in the audience, dressed in regyular close, walk up during his "routine" and take his stick away.

It makes me sad to see that this is what martial arts is being reduced to: aluminum nunchukus and Wushu steal swords. If its a sword form, then realize it is about doing mortal battle with asword -- swing a real **** sword that has weight and is sharp. Not how to defend against soemone who is attacking with another sword like a mad man.

We use the Japanse bamboo two handed katanas with gear to practice. No form, just principles. Of coarse I can make up my own form, being that I know the principles that work, but it doesn't go the other way. Just because you can do the dance, doesn't mean you are ready for battle.

This is my beef with MA.
    Stillness in the heart of motion.