Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: for 18 old men

"I've been noticing a trend where if you don't agree with your Sifu or he doesn't teach you what you want when you want you go somewhere else. "

I agree with you Hua Lin.Recently I was talking to a frined of mine's who know a couple of siuf's who don't want to teach Americans or Americaised Asians because they are disrespectful.

Now I understand why some kung fu masters didn't want to teach kung fu to the public they knew things like this would happen.
    killer kung fu commando streetfighter who has used his devastating fighting system to defeat hordes of attackers in countless combat situations

chrisreed
    Your comment "master chan is well respected because your are told he is." might be true in your case but anytime I've been with him in the US and China he is treated like a major somebody. He always seems to be in charge and everyone goes out of their way to accomodate him. He apparently earned it somewhere at sometime.

" I met two individuals who taught without holding back. Both of these individuals (one Chinese the other Vietnamese) held no secrets "

What's wrong with that?Is it wrong to hold secrets?Don't forget that was the way it was done and will always be done.Not only in my style but many others.

18elders-

No offense but you don't need to speak for Pong Lai.I'm sure he has his own mind.My apologies if I seem to come out rude.

It still doesn't doesn't change the fact that he is a hypocrite saying that no one is throwing insults when you can plainly see that he did.Either that or his memory is short.
    killer kung fu commando streetfighter who has used his devastating fighting system to defeat hordes of attackers in countless combat situations

Hua Lin Laoshi

Or could it be c. Master Chan doesn't want his students to learn from someone with questionable abillity, knowledge or credentials. If he doesn't think the material is worthwhile or he doesn't think it's rght for you then he won't let you go.
    Come on Hua Lin Laoshi, now your being funny.

How does:

Wing Chung (Mok Poi On),
    Choy Lee Fut (Lee Koon Hung),
    7-Star (Brenden Lai) (actually his information was useful because he taught us a training method not a form),
    Plum Flower Mantis (Zheng Bing Dao),
    Chen Tai Chi (Li En Jiao),
    Shao Lin Wu Shu (Shao Lin Monks),

integrate into your Wah Lum Training? Look at the pattern.

Why would MC get so ****ed at a pro student for not wanting to take a seminar and then take the $$ from the student after the seminar was over? The student offering MC the $$ just to get out of being on his bad side, not taking the seminar but paying for it. MC took the $$...

I've been noticing a trend where if you don't agree with your Sifu or he doesn't teach you what you want when you want you go somewhere else. Whatever happened to trusting your Sifu to train you as he feels neccessary in his PROFESSIONAL experience. Do you all of a sudden know better than your Sifu?
    No. Now I train with a Tai Chi Master and I don't know better than him but I know he is giving me the "essence" of the art (I guess I should say giving, I'm definately paying for it) so my Tai Chi will not be an "empty" form. I know he is giving me all I can handle and not holding back, not being secret. Has Master Chan (or others in Wah Lum) taught you how to manage your qi, how to work with it, direct it, train it? Are you taught where your qi comes from? How to stay healthy, not get sick? Why do students have to sneak around behind his back to take a Chinese Medical Seminar? If you take up Iron Palm will he give you the formula for the jao or do you need to keep coming to him for it?

Cheers

NorthernMantis

What's wrong with that?Is it wrong to hold secrets?Don't forget that was the way it was done and will always be done.Not only in my style but many others.
    NM, what's the difference between a indoor student and an outdoor student (inside/outside)? An indoor student gets taught the essence of the art, the entire tomale, everything. As far as I know there is only one indoor student in WL which is Mimi.

Some teachers don't play this game and these are the types of teachers I seek out.

I for one do not want to pay $$$ to be an outdoor student. If you want to do it that's fine with me, no problem.

Cheers!

How does:

Wing Chung (Mok Poi On),
    7-Star (Brenden Lai) (actually his information was useful because he taught us a training method not a form),

integrate into your Wah Lum Training? Look at the pattern.

--------------

18elders, there's a whole other thread in this forum where those connections are discussed already.

I looked at your profile, you've studied many other styles in 10 years. Have you ever tried sticking with just one?

---------

Why would MC get so ****ed at a pro student for not wanting to take a seminar and then take the $$ from the student after the seminar was over? The student offering MC the $$ just to get out of being on his bad side, not taking the seminar but paying for it. MC took the $$...

--------

You're either talking about yourself at this point, or talking out of your ass. You don't want to take a seminar from Master Chan, don't take a seminar. I've never had a problem with sifu about this, and I don't know anyone else who has, either.

If this wasn't you, then please remember that there are 2 sides to every story. And you heard just one.

You're extremely bitter about something. Go to a shrink and work it out. Or go practice KF and forget about Wah Lum. Whatever perceived slight happened to you at the temple, can't be fixed on this forum.

Sam
    There is a great streak of violence in every human being. If it is not channeled and understood, it will break out in war or in madness. ~Sam Peckinpah

samantis

How does:

Wing Chung (Mok Poi On),

integrate into your Wah Lum Training? Look at the pattern

I didn't write that, don't know why your attacking me?

As for sticking with a style, let me explain, our Grandmaster is documented as having the complete systems of 7 star, tai chi, plum flower and secret door praying mantis passed on to him.
    Thus these 4 styles our taught in our system so i am sticking with one it just contains those 4 mantis systems in it.

Have a happy new year.

Talking No problem here

Funny you they don't teach chen style at wah lum
    Well someone know's it but he doesn't teach.I will let his name remain anonymous since he knows nothing of this conversation and for respect for him.

An indoor student gets taught the essence of the art, the entire tomale, everything. As far as I know there is only one indoor student in WL which is Mimi.
    What is your point?Sounds like someone's jealous.My sifu is the wife of a tai chi master and she teaches me well also what's your point?I'm not an idoor student and so what?

How many times do I have to point it out.Sifu Mimi is si gung's daughter his own flesh and blood doesn't that mean anything to you?Of of course she's an indoor student.

Always with sifu Mimi.I'm starting to wonder if you think that she's the cause of the "problem" you seem to see.I'm guessing three things:

1)You like her
    2)You're jealous
    3)You want to be in her place

Why so much anger towards her?Yes I admit it I took a stab at ya butlike Pong Lai said this a discussion about wah lum (sarcasm) You read that Pong Lai?

There's a lot to learn in wah lum wether your an indoor student or not.You forget the grandmaster does whatever he wants with his style,not how you want it to be.If you feel it's wrong to be held back on certaing things well then tough luck.Like I said be fore:

It will be preserved better that way.Some dude took wah lum and combined it with muay thai and you think si gung will pass the entire knowledge to just anyone?
    Recently I was talking to a friend of min's who knows a couple of sifu's who don't want to teach Americans or Americanised Asians because they are disrespectful
    "I've been noticing a trend where if you don't agree with your Sifu or he doesn't teach you what you want when you want you go somewhere else. "
    That's also another way how some teachers knew a student was for real and not fooling around.You left because you didn't like the whole indoor/outdoor thing.What makes you think people haven't learned what they are supposed to learn.do you think you will be taught then for leaving?

I for one do not want to pay $$$ to be an outdoor student. If you want to do it that's fine with me, no problem.
    What makes you think because you have $$$ you can walk in and demand to be taught whatever you want?You think kung fu can be bought?the sifu tells the studen't what to do not the other way around and don't bring money into because I did not mean that.Kung fu is a Chinese heritage and defended their people.

You should be greatful that you were taught something that few people have a chance to.

I bet you would leave your sifu if things didn't go your way.That show's that you have no loyalty for your sifu.
    Last edited by NorthernMantis; 12-29-2001 at 08:27 PM.

18 elders, i'm sorry -- I was scanning through and read the name wrong. Sorry about that!

So ... same comments, (particularly the seminar comments) directed to woliveri!

Peace,
    Sam
    There is a great streak of violence in every human being. If it is not channeled and understood, it will break out in war or in madness. ~Sam Peckinpah

Northern Mantis,

Demo team and sifu Tu say hi!

Yay!

NorthernMantis:

How is this:
    As far as I know there is only one indoor student in WL which is Mimi.
    An attack against Mimi. It's just a statement and you're reading too much into it and going off half ****ed. Control your emotions.

I bet you would leave your sifu if things didn't go your way.That show's that you have no loyalty for your sifu.
    Not so Bat Boy :-)

Funny you they don't teach chen style at wah lum
    Sorry, the list above was with seminars... Didn't I say that?

SaMantis:
    Your right, that's gossip from the source and I retract it.

Cheers!

chrisreed

i don't know what WL school you were at but it sounds like whatever it is you do now is the same as WL- atleast as far as what i learned there. i don't know your level of experience but i'll tell you that in order to learn to fight you have to fight. 2 person apps, 2 person forms, and sparring are all tools to prepare you but they are not the real thing. also, training sparring or whatever done only within your school will limit you to that schools preferences--- in other words "chop suey" can be a good thing!
    besides what i previously stated the only thing lacking in WL is full-contact sparring- which of course is a legal issue-
    i suggest you ask your sifu about adding it to your program, or implementing it on your own, perhaps with older KF brothers(to maintain some control)AND as with most people on this forum learn to appreciate the other benefits in kung fu

hua,

i can only speak from my experience and it was like that.

flem,

my school does have it now. i meant no conotation with chop suey. just what it denoted you are reading too much into that.

An attack against Mimi. It's just a statement and you're reading too much into it and going off half ****ed. Control your emotions.
    They are.I'm just tired of people throwing insults and cloaking behind innocence like Pong Lai.Whenever someone mentions something about wah lum you jump in attacking and then lauging at people becuase they get mad.

Not so Bat Boy :-)
    I have no idea what you mean by that but I found it funny.I might add it inot my avatar.If I can find a good one