Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Aikido vs. striking arts

i hope i didn't offend anyone i wasn't trying to downgrade aikido or anything i just wanted to know a little more from people that took it because i had a intrest in training in it. thank you very much for your replies
    death doesn't end life i do

Aikido and Bagua

Many people confuse what they see and don't come to understand what Aikido is.

Aikido really stress controlling the distance in a fight (i.e. ma-ia). In many circumstance (if the space is available) the opponents only recourse is a real committed attack.

Let's not forget that at higher levels "atemi waza" is mixed in (i.e. the art of striking) here one learns to deal with things like the "jab" and "kicks"

I know multiple Aikido techniques were one catches punches (usually hooks and straight blasts to the face etc, but these are usually done from outside your defensive bubble, so you have plenty of time to see it and to react it)

Most Akidoka are taught if the opponent isn't willing to commit to a real attack, then leave the area, because the person isn't a real threat.

This is a hard concept to really grasp. Usually due to one's pride.

For example, the jab doesn't work if your opponent keeps backing up......sooner or later, if your bent on real harm you will have to commit to a real attack. If an Aikidoka can stay at the proper distance waiting for the "real committed attack" then he or she can defend oneself. Sometimes the space isn't available that is why Aikidoka train to slip jabs and kicks, then move in and apply a choke, hold or sweep/throw etc...

Is Aikido "macho" no and wasn't designed to be.

Is it effective? "oh hell yea!" Ask various Police agencies who have instituded Aikido training programs.

But your not going to see many Aikidoka fight in UFC type competitions. An Aikidoka (because of his/her training) would probably jump out the ring and walk away from actual harm, believing both opponents had won the fight because violence wasn't acted upon.

Again is this Macho? Is this the stuff that inspires tuff guys?

No.

However.......... if an experienced Aikidoka gets his hands on you and you don't have control of your root, your going for a serious nasty ride. (Probably to the hospital!!!!)

Aikido is my next love outside Xingyiquan, However, I don't make a great Aikidoka. As most of you know Xingyiquan is very offensive in nature. So I always get the urge to attack instead of hovering outside my opponents bubble and just waiting. Yea, Xingyiquan has some waiting techniques and even some Aikido/Bagua type circular techniques built around the exercise called "Pan Gen." But they are still linear in fashion compared to Aikido or Bagua.

Also, from my Xingyiquan and Aikido experience and the little Bagua I've seen (i.e. the Bagua techniques I'm able to recognize due to my Xingyiquan/Aikido) Bagua seems to perform much of the same strategies as Aikido but at a much closer distance. Also, Bagua seems to me to have a much more in-depth percussive repertoire.

In short, one uses the circular strategy for offense(Bagua) and the other uses it for defense (Aikido)

Les Paul
    Last edited by les paul; 12-31-2001 at 11:19 AM.

"Could it be that : The end of a long curve is a big circle?"

old jong,
    Man, I've been telling people that whenever they ask why I only practice a front kick and a thumb-to-the-eye. I say, "When the great masters fight, they only need their basics to defeat opponents." I'm just building on the knowledge and experience of the past.

Talk about efficency too, man! I've "mastered" my style in only a few short weeks! I've reduced the learning curve to a dot! Now everyone can be "Kung Fu Master"!
    "No Pain - Good."
    - neptunesfall

4. If you want to learn about aikido,aikidojournal.com and stevenseagal.com are excellent places to go for.
    aikidofaq.com is good if you are looking for video clips,there are a lot of them!
    The sunsetīs setting down.Lay me on the forest floor.

I do not necessarily stand behind all of the statements I have made in the past, in this forum. Some of the statements may have appeared to support a biased view of reality, and may have been offensive. If you are a moral person and were hurt by comments that I made, you can PM me about it and I will apologize if I find your cause reasonable.
    -FC, summer of 2006-