Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: People I need support (Shuai Chiao)

I would like your information

I was in the park today (Zilker) and met a guy practicing Tai Chi (American)... We talked for a while and I said I mainly practice Shuai Chiao.. he said he really didn't believe the purpose of that art... so I said I would email him links in support of that art....

So what I'm asking is those people who support or practice Shuai Chiao please reply with a comment and/or a website supporting the art

This Forum is my first line of attack so lets hit it full force!!

my website is shuaichiao.org

what is yours

thanks in advance
    G
    Last edited by GGL; 12-27-2001 at 11:07 PM.

What the heck does 'not getting the purpose of that art' means?

Why would you care what he thinks?

and finally

Why didn't you SHOW him the purpose.

Web sites don't mean much, really. Although I like David Pickens site.

Just speaking as one Shuai Chiao player to another...
    "Never interrupt your enemy when they are making a mistake."
    --- Napoleon

"MonkeySlap is a brutal b@stard." -- SevenStar
    "Forgive them Lord, they know not what MS2 can do." -- MasterKiller
    "You're not gonna win a debate (or a fight) with MST. Resistance is futile." - Seven Star

My purpose is 2 fold

one I want to get a general directory of Shuai Chiao (personal)

two he is really computer oriented ( I don't know if that is good or bad )

I really don't care what he thinks, but I thought it may spur a good topic on Shuai Chiao.. (kool)

As for him.. he is really a "touchy feely" man and is pursuing the more spirtual aspect of the chinese arts

He didn't directly say that Tai Chi wasn't a martial art (full of $hit), but he may be venturing down that road

By the way

Thanks Monkey Slap for your opinion

more props to ya
    G

What do you mean

What did he mean by "he didn't get it"?

repky

I had only about 10 min talking to him so I dont know if he was just closed minded in a general sense or just uneducated

Is that an art of itself, or just anything goes fighting with different MArtial Arts thrown in. Forgive me for my ignornace on this subject.

Even if it is what I said above, how good it is would rely on the individual. Taiji, mastered, is pretty high level, tough to beat, but that could just as well been some laimo housewife Taiji player. Repulsive Monkey is right, that was a perfect opurtunity to call him out. Ask him to show youb how much better Taiji was.

I study Taiji, but not traditionally, I'm learning the Martial of each movement, then link them together. I do use the opening as my Chi-Gung though, very affective so far.

Anyway, good luck with whatever it is you are promoting. If that is the free fighting I'm hearing about, anything goin gon in NYC, I'm ready to start fighting out with strangers now, more hardcore.

Ray
    Stillness in the heart of motion.

Bak Mei,
    I don't think you need to put the beat down on someone to prove your point, although that can happen too. My point was that you can intellectualize all you want, but the proof is on the floor (GGL, I am SURE you heard David say that at some point), and frankly that guys response sounded ignorant, so who cares?

Shuai Chiao in the sense that GGL and I are discussing is a compregensive art developed by Chang Tung Chang (You know, the young man that protected the Yang family in Shanghai) it incorporates Tai Chi and Xing Yi with Kuai Chiao or fast wrestling techniques.

I don't know anyone in NY, but I know there are plenty of San Shou groups you can visit.

What type of Tai Chi do you practice?

--Repulsive Monkey - I think I'll have to change my name!

GGL: www.combatshuaichiao.com -- David Lin's site.

I'll have my own school site up later next year. Why not?
    --- Napoleon

"You're not gonna win a debate (or a fight) with MST. Resistance is futile." - Seven Star

Isn't

Isn't GeneShing Ping in New York.. I don't remember if her has retired yet or not

ggl , monkey slap

While I will not pretend that I am any king of authority on shuai chiao it was added to our system by the late grandmaster of shuai chiao Feng Hua Yi and we have incorporated the 240 throws in the art but only teach the basic 40. our system is 8 step praying mantis but shuai chiao is demonstrated and can be seen in pictures on our web site. if that helps I am sure there are better examples of the art out there but if you need to direct him or email him a picture from the throws catagory on the site. also I have included a picture from my site demonstrating bung tiao so you can email him.....

monkey slap, the reason that you were included is becuse I am in NY so just wanted to let you know thanks your freind E.D.....
    http://www.kungfuUSA.net

Sorry about confusing you screen name with anothers.

I definitely do not think one needs to put a beat down on soemone to get a point across. Outside of MA, I believe discussing can solve most anything. But, if a disagreement about affectivness arises in MA, there is only one way to prove it. This does not mean one has to put a beating on someone, but the poijt should be made crystal clear -- this is what I like about the MA.

There is no, "I was in bounds."

"No you weren't"

"It was in."

"No it was out."

The point is obvious in MA, the winner is standing.

As for my Master, I love his aproach to these things. He is a very intelligent man, an aeronotical engineer when in China, but keeps it simple when it comes to MA -- do or die.

The toughest part of training with someone like him is seeing just how far ahead he is then most everybody, and sensing that it will be hard for someone to learn and retain everything he has.

I'm trying. I'm devoted. I'm giving it the best I have.

As for NY, I thought what you guys were talking about was those anything goes matches. I've been ighting out on LOng Island, but want to pick up the intensity and diversity of styles, sizes, ect.

I'm 27, I feel the next 5 years is a good time to get the most hands on learning as I can, while I can take it and refine in the laboratory (my kitchen). Though Sifu's ability to fight at his age is quite amazing, I forget that he's sixty -- very powerful.

Have a great New Years.

Hey Bak Mei,
    I know some nightclubs have 'amateur' NHB events and Tough man contests. You might want to check for those.

Yeah, I pretty much agree, but occasionally you can do it without hurting someone. I had a pretty senior Zheng Manqing type want to play with me. He was a neurosurgeon, so he wanted to avoid hurting himself (big loss of income, I can respect that. Family comes first) so we walked through attacks and counters. He was feeling very confident at certain points when he should not have, but three moves into it his eyes bugged out. He knew I had him and he had no counter.

This is not to dis his school - we were only playing and he was not a pro fighter for the school. Just a seasoned practitioner looking for how he would deal with someone like me. He got to see it without incurring injury. But then he wasn't a knucklehead.

And yeah, its true it lacked fight dynamics, but you can still tell a lot wsithout hurting your opponent.

And no, I'd never confuse this with actual sparring.

Your age is right - get out there and fight. I gained my best experience between 27-32. I fought a lot between 18 - 27, but by 27 I had enough skill and knowledge to really benefit from the fighting. That understanding only comes from direct experience. Get it in now before you start feeling that age...
    --- Napoleon

I understand what you are saying about the tit-for-tata aproach. I do it often to, move for move, slow speed, light power, all about position.

However, I still get together with some old WC buddies and their students always want to play, they are young, 18 to 22. They will strat to loose position quick, and then they pick up their pace, they go from 35% to 80% to all out. I try to maintain an even 35%. I hold the position, because I believe position is key, and WC gets busy with the hands but doesn't gain much, but these matches tend to end ugly, because they want to beat me, so turn it into an all out fight, and I won't let them beat me so they can claim such, and they go down. Then I feel like a bully.

So, I stopped doing that. But at the same time I haven't adobted a fighting routine at my knew school yet with Sifu Chan Bong, and I'm not sure how some of the other students will take it.
    I'm ready to start testing the new -- GOOD! -- stuff.

Nice meeting you. Happy holidays.

PS.

Do you have a name for any of these clubs, or are they undergroud type deals?

Defintely would check it out.

Nah, I only know of a few clubs in the midwest but nothing out your way.

I've long been out of touch with the Chicago Chinatown fight scene.

Actually, I'm completely out of touch having moved and settled down.

Dig around - you'll find something.

Yeah, I agree - nothing beats really fighting.
    --- Napoleon