Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Who Has Chi

Zantesuken

Forget the Tao, Bilbo Baggins says it just fine...

...All that glitters is not gold
    Those who wander are not lost...

So it's only the Shaolin area that contains frauds and you think there aren't as super duper skilled Tai Chi players anywhere as there are from Chen village and stuff huh? Ok then. I guess just the name, Chen Village, means that much. Darn...I wish I had ch-ink-y eyes and a Chen Village birth certificate. I could make a killing on you. Good luck in your training.
    only gin and tang guzzle out a rusty tin can, me and this mic is like yin and yang

Hi Zan.

Don't want to burst your bubble.

But it appears that Hsing Yi was around before Tai Chi become known. As the art that become Tai Chi was only taught to Members of the Chen Village until Yang Lu Chan(~150yrs ago).

Unless Ying-Yi is another Art that is not refered in my Tai Chi Literature.

Yes, I have heard all the rumours that Tai Chi is the mother art of ALL internal Arts if not ALL the CMA Arts, and that even Aikido is rooted in TAi Chi.

As for the Chen Village, it has become pretty much a money machine using the old Chen Tai Chi as the driving force.

Yes, they still practice Tai Chi there, but if you want Instructions bring plenty of money.

Some say that the leve there is lower than the Tai Chi outside of China.
    As for frauds in the Tai Chi scene, yep, there are plenty there.
    Sometimes I think more frauds than properly trained People.
    Heck but than abybody go and study under a famous name and open their own Kwoon after a few Years claiming a lineage via his "famous" Teacher.

hahah sorry red fists! i was on a site about yi chuan and i re-read it and it was the SIFU that learned it in the 1920's hahahahah it thought it was a little off lololol
    - "Why should the marathon go to the swift? Or the jumble to the quick witted? Because god gave them their GIFTS? Well I say CHEATING is the gift man gives himself!" - Monty Burns

WOW.. you guys are intense!!.. it's ALL good.. but, my teacher continues to repeat his mantra.. simplify and practice, simplify and practice.. oddly, it works..
    Who has Chi? We all do.
    Who has invested the time and discpline to use it? Few.
    Two fighters, equally trained in the physical arts, one with a knowledge and skill of Chi usage and one without.. my money goes to the one with the Chi knowledge.. My point is that its another tool in our bag of tools (i believe its a pretty good tool, too).
    My experience is that Chi is just another aspect of that basic life force that animates each of us. As we are each our own creators, it is to the extent that we choose to improve and balance our training that we can expand our awareness and use this basic life force in any of the areas of our lives we choose. Chi is one culture's skillful understanding and manipulation of basic energy to their advantage.
    But, to return to the original question. I have been told that my Chi is strong and clean, but.. that's a value judgment i leave to others. I do know that there is an aspect of combat that transcends pure muscle logic, for now i'll call it Chi.
    I will not bicker about the Masters, styles, and fragmented concepts surrounding the concept of Chi.. i do, however, suggest that there are no natural exclusions as to what builds or doesn't build Chi, that "intent" is the force that builds Chi.. if i intend to improve my Chi while Fly-fishing, and my intent is clear and focused, then i will build Chi.. Now, to convert Fly-fishing Chi to combat Chi, again i must be clear, focused and already have a discipline of combat to which to apply that Chi.
    Chi is just a word, a word we use to describe an aspect of our lives that is almost mystical in its application for improving our quality of life. I sense that there is a basic energy/force that is the raw material of the universe. We (our conscious being) sculpts our existence from this energy/force.. Certainly, we can create many aspects including various "Chi" aspects from the basic material. But, we can effectively limit these by simply over-fragmenting the applications, "bone Chi, prenatal Chi, tissue Chi, etc".. its ALL Chi, just applied differently.. My teacher offers guidance for Chi development according to his own experience but, always says to experiment and perhaps we will find even better development techniques. He says that application of chi in combat is a function of "no thinking".. like when a bug is flying toward your eye, if you analyze trajectory, evaluate the appropriate response, then attempt to execute it.. you will be picking a bug out of your weeping eye.. If you just let your natural response overide the thought process you will evade a bothersome encounter.. So it is with Chi, train yourself to know its possibilities and applications.. then, let your natural response to a situation use that understanding of Chi "naturally"..
    If i have to dig through my mental filing cabinet (thinking) to find the appropriate "Chi response".. the opponent will have already executed his/her intentions..
    Rather than thinking of different types of Chi, think of a single "Chi" applied to differing situations.. (simplify).. I collect and store my Chi in the Dan Tien.. then through discipline and "will" i apply it as needed, as the situation demands..
    Anyhow.. that's just my humble opinion.. not right/not wrong.. just another perspective that works for me..
    Be well, do good deeds (our deeds define us)..
    TaiChiBob.. "the teacher that is not also a student is neither"

Re: Zantesuken

Originally posted by Justa Man
    Forget the Tao, Bilbo Baggins says it just fine...

...All that glitters is not gold
    Those who wander are not lost...
    "Frodo...of the Nine Fingers...and the Ring of Doom...Why does he have Nine Fingers?..."

No, you're right, the song from the Hobbit movie is way better.

it's not like they're not good. and don't wish you had *****y eyes cause i do stupid.

someone like CHen Fa-Ke is actually good and he came out of chen. If i were to learn i always watch the person first. ANd don't think U.S. tai chi is that great. I don't nkow about the 'other' place sin the u.s. but the taichi wushu forms are really really ugly. cept for that one brandon competitor guy who's okay
    - "Why should the marathon go to the swift? Or the jumble to the quick witted? Because god gave them their GIFTS? Well I say CHEATING is the gift man gives himself!" - Monty Burns